Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Photo Catalog Software (like iPhoto, etc): What's the Advantage?
    geekboy2000's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 15, 2006
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Posts
    361
    Specs:
    20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
    Photo Catalog Software (like iPhoto, etc): What's the Advantage?
    I guess I'm missing something, but every time I've tried any photo catalog type software (on any OS), I always stop using it, and revert back to a separate viewer and editor. If I already have my images in a hierarchy of directories, like: People > Family > Dad, or Gear > Mac > iMac (you get the idea), what does something like iPhoto do for me, aside from doubling the amount of disk space taken up by my images, and making editing more complicated? For example, I then have the edited copy and the original, or find "dupes" in the library. How do others feel about this. Do you find such apps intuitive and easy, or do you also just use a viewer to view your collection, and a separate editor to edit your images? Thanks!
    "I'm the one that's going to die when it's time for me to die.
    So let me live my life . . . the way I want to.
    " - From "If 6 Was 9" - Jimi Hendrix

  2. #2
    Photo Catalog Software (like iPhoto, etc): What's the Advantage?

    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2006
    Location
    N. Ireland
    Posts
    901
    Specs:
    Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
    Switch to Aperture, that way you have editing software and DAM software all in one package. Aperture allows you to quickly search through THOUSANDS of photos to find the image(s) that you want.

    If you are not a person who shoots thousands of photos then maybe your current way of working is best for your needs.

    Aperture fits my needs brilliantly.

  3. #3
    Photo Catalog Software (like iPhoto, etc): What's the Advantage?
    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    I use photo management software for two reasons:

    1. Sorting and finding images is much easier:
    - I can view photos by date, by tags, by categories or by albums.
    - I can make separate "collections" or groups without duplicating files
    - Moving, emailing, batch re-naming or exporting and publishing can be done from within one app.

    2. Nondestructive editing:
    - If I don't like a part of a picture, I can crop it out and always know I can retrieve the original later. I don't have to make sure to create a backup copy, and I don't have multiple versions of one image when browsing albums


    It's such a pain for me to have to manually manage everything in folders: Does this picture from christmas go in the "events" or in the "family" folder? Do I organize by month or event? etc. etc.

    It's the same argument as iTunes vs. manually ripping, tagging and sorting music into folders. Why put up with the hassle?

  4. #4
    Photo Catalog Software (like iPhoto, etc): What's the Advantage?

    Member Since
    Apr 28, 2006
    Posts
    2,542
    Specs:
    iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
    Organising photos using folders n all that? Seriously? That is so windows! I love iPhoto for family pictures n all. Just plug in the camera, and the rest is taken care of. Events are an awesome feature for browsing photos. No need for creating albums and all that. Time Machine backs up my photos and retrives them in style. I can have nice slideshows in Front Row. Bonjour photo sharing.

    I do keep my professional photos in Aperture (earlier Lightroom, but now Aperture 2 kicks azz). That is like the ultimate in organising images. (although not really suited for family pictures).

  5. #5
    Photo Catalog Software (like iPhoto, etc): What's the Advantage?

    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,744
    Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by geekboy2000 View Post
    If I already have my images in a hierarchy of directories, like: People > Family > Dad, or Gear > Mac > iMac
    Well, what happens if you have a picture of Dad with his brand new iMac? A pair of iPhoto albums can handle that...folders can't.

    There's no reason you have to use iPhoto, but it can help organize large numbers of photos better than you could on your own.

  6. #6
    Photo Catalog Software (like iPhoto, etc): What's the Advantage?
    geekboy2000's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 15, 2006
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Posts
    361
    Specs:
    20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
    Quote Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
    Organising photos using folders n all that? Seriously? That is so windows! I love iPhoto for family pictures n all. Just plug in the camera, and the rest is taken care of. Events are an awesome feature for browsing photos. No need for creating albums and all that. Time Machine backs up my photos and retrives them in style. I can have nice slideshows in Front Row. Bonjour photo sharing.

    I do keep my professional photos in Aperture (earlier Lightroom, but now Aperture 2 kicks azz). That is like the ultimate in organising images. (although not really suited for family pictures).
    I got a chuckle out of your response, because though it's been 2+ years since I moved to using my Macs for 99% of my computing needs, I guess I still have the Windows mentality when it comes to photo management. There, I used an old version of ACDSee for viewing, and Paintshop Pro for editing. I never found an all-in-one that quite did it for me there either. I guess it takes awhile to shake old habits.
    "I'm the one that's going to die when it's time for me to die.
    So let me live my life . . . the way I want to.
    " - From "If 6 Was 9" - Jimi Hendrix

  7. #7
    Photo Catalog Software (like iPhoto, etc): What's the Advantage?
    geekboy2000's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 15, 2006
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Posts
    361
    Specs:
    20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
    Quote Originally Posted by technologist View Post
    Well, what happens if you have a picture of Dad with his brand new iMac? A pair of iPhoto albums can handle that...folders can't.

    There's no reason you have to use iPhoto, but it can help organize large numbers of photos better than you could on your own.
    Right. I guess I'm tending to "fight" it's automation of the process. But, I don't have an enormous number of photos, so perhaps I'm not seeing the benefit that I might if I had 10,000 pics to organize.
    "I'm the one that's going to die when it's time for me to die.
    So let me live my life . . . the way I want to.
    " - From "If 6 Was 9" - Jimi Hendrix

  8. #8
    Photo Catalog Software (like iPhoto, etc): What's the Advantage?
    geekboy2000's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 15, 2006
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Posts
    361
    Specs:
    20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
    Thanks to all that responded. Yes, in a way, iTunes is the same thing, but I don't have duplicates of my songs. If I import a track or tracks into my iTunes library, I delete the original file(s). And, for thousands and thousands of songs, it's excellent, and the only way to catalog music (for me). But, I guess I do tend to fight the image management concept of iPhoto and other such apps. If I edit a photo, I prefer to edit it, do a "save as", and know exactly what I have and where it is. For example: "eli_chasing_the_ball.jpg" and "eli_chasing_the_ball_resized.jpg". That's clear to me, and if I see the file name with the image, I know what's what. With iPhoto, I tended to see multiple copies of images, not knowing what I did to what file, etc. I think goobimama nailed it. I still haven't shaken all the old Windows ways.
    "I'm the one that's going to die when it's time for me to die.
    So let me live my life . . . the way I want to.
    " - From "If 6 Was 9" - Jimi Hendrix

  9. #9
    Photo Catalog Software (like iPhoto, etc): What's the Advantage?
    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by geekboy2000 View Post
    Thanks to all that responded. Yes, in a way, iTunes is the same thing, but I don't have duplicates of my songs. If I import a track or tracks into my iTunes library, I delete the original file(s). And, for thousands and thousands of songs, it's excellent, and the only way to catalog music (for me). But, I guess I do tend to fight the image management concept of iPhoto and other such apps. If I edit a photo, I prefer to edit it, do a "save as", and know exactly what I have and where it is. For example: "eli_chasing_the_ball.jpg" and "eli_chasing_the_ball_resized.jpg". That's clear to me, and if I see the file name with the image, I know what's what. With iPhoto, I tended to see multiple copies of images, not knowing what I did to what file, etc. I think goobimama nailed it. I still haven't shaken all the old Windows ways.
    Fair enough I guess.

    The only other point I'd make is that especially if you haven't got that many images, the amount of space taken up by duplicates is negligible considering the price per GB nowadays.

    My Library has a few years of pictures and is 12GB in size. Even assuming that's 6GB of duplicates and edits, the cost of additional 6GB is nothing compared to the value of the images to me.

    (Actually my Library takes up 36GB in total with my 2 backups..)

  10. #10
    Photo Catalog Software (like iPhoto, etc): What's the Advantage?
    eric's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 04, 2006
    Location
    twin cities, mn, usa
    Posts
    8,708
    geekboy, i'm in your shoes almost exactly. even went so far as to remove iphoto from my macbook.

    i use folders to organize, use save as to edit alternate file versions of the same photo, i use xee in place of the old ms photo/fax viewer, and i used to use ACDSee as well.

    if what you're doing works for you, stay with it.

    i actually do the same for music, i only load them into itunes as needed to play them...
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

  11. #11
    Photo Catalog Software (like iPhoto, etc): What's the Advantage?
    geekboy2000's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 15, 2006
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Posts
    361
    Specs:
    20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    geekboy, i'm in your shoes almost exactly. even went so far as to remove iphoto from my macbook.

    i use folders to organize, use save as to edit alternate file versions of the same photo, i use xee in place of the old ms photo/fax viewer, and i used to use ACDSee as well.

    if what you're doing works for you, stay with it.

    i actually do the same for music, i only load them into itunes as needed to play them...
    I feel good to have company in my madness!
    I guess we're both either having a hard time breaking old Windows habits, or we're both extremely anal about having to organize manually just for the sake of it. Yeah, either way, I think I'll continue with the viewer/editor system. The only thing that might sway me is Picasa, if/when Google releases a Mac version.
    "I'm the one that's going to die when it's time for me to die.
    So let me live my life . . . the way I want to.
    " - From "If 6 Was 9" - Jimi Hendrix

  12. #12
    Photo Catalog Software (like iPhoto, etc): What's the Advantage?

    Member Since
    Apr 28, 2006
    Posts
    2,542
    Specs:
    iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
    @geekyboy. Give lightroom or Aperture a chance. Both have 30 day trials. They don't touch your originals. But offer some really neat ways of organizing your pictures.

  13. #13
    Photo Catalog Software (like iPhoto, etc): What's the Advantage?

    Member Since
    Oct 09, 2007
    Location
    New Hartford, NY
    Posts
    76
    Specs:
    17" Macbook Pro 2GB Ram 160GB hdd Anti-glare / hi-res screen 7200RPM hdd
    Definitely try out Aperture 2, it has over 100 new features...

    http://apple.com/aperture/features/100.html
    "Buddhism is not religion. Buddhism is science of mind."

  14. #14
    Photo Catalog Software (like iPhoto, etc): What's the Advantage?
    lifeafter2am's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 25, 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,395
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro Unibody
    See, I was still not all that impressed with Aperture. I really wanted to like it too, ya know, the whole Apple thing.


    *nice quote
    masakatsu agatsu

    @lifeafter2am

  15. #15
    Photo Catalog Software (like iPhoto, etc): What's the Advantage?
    geekboy2000's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 15, 2006
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Posts
    361
    Specs:
    20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
    Quote Originally Posted by goobimama View Post
    @geekyboy. Give lightroom or Aperture a chance. Both have 30 day trials. They don't touch your originals. But offer some really neat ways of organizing your pictures.
    It's definitely worth a shot. I want to break old habits. Maybe that'll be the winner. Thanks!
    "I'm the one that's going to die when it's time for me to die.
    So let me live my life . . . the way I want to.
    " - From "If 6 Was 9" - Jimi Hendrix

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. iphoto vs canon's photo software
    By halfmonkey in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 02:56 AM
  2. Software to catalog my CD library?
    By TrueTone911 in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2011, 08:55 AM
  3. Software to Catalog Music Collection
    By JGruber in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-21-2009, 08:05 PM
  4. Photo Viewing software [iphoto?]
    By systix in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-10-2008, 10:03 AM
  5. DVD movie catalog software
    By summer2000 in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-11-2008, 04:51 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •