Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Mail auto-opens (unwanted action)

    Member Since
    Apr 18, 2012
    Posts
    23
    Mail auto-opens (unwanted action)
    Hi,
    I'm on an iMac, running 10.6.8. I use Outlook as my default email program, but Mail keeps auto-opening every day. I have set the preferences in Mail to only check email manually, yet it auto-opens daily. This has gotten rather annoying after several months, mainly because it seems like it should be a simple fix. Any help on how to stop this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Chris

  2. #2
    Mail auto-opens (unwanted action)
    Slydude's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 15, 2009
    Location
    North Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    8,555
    Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.10.2, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    When does the auto opening occur? Is it happening any time you log into your account or only when you perform a restart?

    One thing to check. Go to System Preferences and look at the User accounts. Click on the settings for your account and look at the list of login items. Is Mail, or anything Mail related, listed there?
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

  3. #3
    Mail auto-opens (unwanted action)
    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,209
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    After Mail opens - try a right click on it's icon in the Dock and see what options you have there.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  4. #4
    Mail auto-opens (unwanted action)

    Member Since
    Apr 18, 2012
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    When does the auto opening occur? Is it happening any time you log into your account or only when you perform a restart?

    One thing to check. Go to System Preferences and look at the User accounts. Click on the settings for your account and look at the list of login items. Is Mail, or anything Mail related, listed there?
    Machine is left on throughout the day. I'm not sure of a specific time that it checks, but I'll pay closer attention. I have it set to sleep when inactive, not log out.
    I checked system prefs- Mail is not in the login items. The only things checked there are iTunes helper & Google Chrome (neither of which open when I log in).

  5. #5
    Mail auto-opens (unwanted action)

    Member Since
    Apr 18, 2012
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    After Mail opens - try a right click on it's icon in the Dock and see what options you have there.
    Options- Keep in Dock, Open at Login, Show in Finder.

    Below that, only Hide and Quit. I always quit.

  6. #6
    Mail auto-opens (unwanted action)
    cradom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 14, 2004
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    Posts
    4,081
    Specs:
    13in macbook - 10.10.4
    Is Mail the default client? Mail/Preferences/General - Default email reader.
    Change it to Outlook.
    Craig Domingue
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

  7. #7
    Mail auto-opens (unwanted action)

    Member Since
    Apr 18, 2012
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by cradom View Post
    Is Mail the default client? Mail/Preferences/General - Default email reader.
    Change it to Outlook.
    No sir, Outlook was already the default email reader. That's why this is baffling me!
    Thanks though.

  8. #8
    Mail auto-opens (unwanted action)
    cradom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 14, 2004
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    Posts
    4,081
    Specs:
    13in macbook - 10.10.4
    When it opens does it actually try to check for mail? In other words, are any accounts set up in it?
    If so, and you don't want to use it, remove the accounts.

    It's possible something else running might have Mail as the default (unlikely but I'm grasping at straws).
    Craig Domingue
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

  9. #9
    Mail auto-opens (unwanted action)

    Member Since
    Apr 18, 2012
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by cradom View Post
    When it opens does it actually try to check for mail? In other words, are any accounts set up in it?
    If so, and you don't want to use it, remove the accounts.

    It's possible something else running might have Mail as the default (unlikely but I'm grasping at straws).
    It tries, but I had deleted all the passwords.

    Just found a choice of "Take all accounts offline" under Mailbox. Hoping this will do the trick. Will post results after a day or two, to see if it auto-opens.

  10. #10
    Mail auto-opens (unwanted action)
    Slydude's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 15, 2009
    Location
    North Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    8,555
    Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.10.2, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris18 View Post
    Options- Keep in Dock, Open at Login, Show in Finder.

    Below that, only Hide and Quit. I always quit.
    Is the Open at Login option checked? If so, uncheck it.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

  11. #11
    Mail auto-opens (unwanted action)
    MBP17•David's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 04, 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    517
    Specs:
    MBP17 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9 • MBA11 4/128GB 10.9 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPh6+ 128GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris18 View Post
    It tries, but I had deleted all the passwords.
    That won't stop it from prompting for one, if there's a mailto: call...

    As Craig said, if you're not using Mail, it really is best to have no accounts there, or at least have them all deactivated: Mail | Preferences | Accounts | Account Information - at the top untick "Enable this account" for each of them.
    Dvid

  12. #12
    Mail auto-opens (unwanted action)

    Member Since
    Apr 18, 2012
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Is the Open at Login option checked? If so, uncheck it.
    It was not checked. But thanks for the idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by MBP17•David View Post
    That won't stop it from prompting for one, if there's a mailto: call...

    As Craig said, if you're not using Mail, it really is best to have no accounts there, or at least have them all deactivated: Mail | Preferences | Accounts | Account Information - at the top untick "Enable this account" for each of them.
    When I tried to do that it said it was going to delete all messages. I am not 100% sure I can delete all the messages now. I'm going to wait to see if taking all accounts offline will keep it from happening. Thanks.

  13. #13
    Mail auto-opens (unwanted action)
    MBP17•David's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 04, 2014
    Location
    England
    Posts
    517
    Specs:
    MBP17 8GB 2x960GB SSDs 10.9 • MBA11 4/128GB 10.9 • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPh6+ 128GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris18 View Post
    When I tried to do that it said it was going to delete all messages.
    Is (are) the account(s) IMAP or POP3?

    I have done this a number of times, and do not remember seeing such a warning. Certainly is not displayed, when de-activating a POP3 account - just tested it, to make sure.

    Do you keep all the messages in your Inbox? If so, create a few folders under ON MY MAC and move everything from Inbox (and Sent and Drafts) into these folders, then there will be nothing for Mail to delete (it won't touch user folders).
    Dvid

  14. #14
    Mail auto-opens (unwanted action)

    Member Since
    Apr 18, 2012
    Posts
    23
    Backed all the email up into On My Mac folders and deleted all the accounts. Now to wait a day and see if this solves it, or if I delete this program altogether.
    Thanks for the help everyone.

  15. #15
    Mail auto-opens (unwanted action)
    cradom's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 14, 2004
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    Posts
    4,081
    Specs:
    13in macbook - 10.10.4
    You cant delete it. Mail is part of OS X. If nothing else, next upgrade it'll be right back.
    Craig Domingue
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mail opens at startup?
    By wornslick in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-27-2015, 01:31 PM
  2. Auto filing on the Mac with a mail action, with iCloud
    By michelangelo in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-10-2014, 05:39 PM
  3. Unwanted e-mail
    By Skyboy in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-23-2013, 11:14 AM
  4. Mail auto opens address book
    By mfrenkie in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-01-2012, 02:24 PM
  5. mail opens on login
    By hotrod351 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 06:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •