Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Airport extreme Internet access to photos, videos, music?

    Member Since
    Nov 20, 2012
    Posts
    65
    Airport extreme Internet access to photos, videos, music?
    The new Airport Extreme router docs indicate that you can connect an external drive which can be accessed from the Internet, i.e., a personal cloud. However I cannot find any references to any apps which can access the cloud device. Is there a mobile app which allows access to photos, videos, music, etc.?

  2. #2
    Airport extreme Internet access to photos, videos, music?
    V6Pony's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 30, 2010
    Location
    Southern Illinois
    Posts
    273
    Specs:
    MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
    I know there is a iPhone app for Airport Extreme but I have not used it yet. I have a new Airport Extreme but have not attached a HD to it yet. Plan to add one soon to use for backups of Macbook Pro and one windows laptop and a linux desktop. Not sure this can be done.

    I am quite happy to date with the AE. Seems to work very good.

  3. #3
    Airport extreme Internet access to photos, videos, music?

    Member Since
    Nov 20, 2012
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by V6Pony View Post
    I know there is a iPhone app for Airport Extreme but I have not used it yet. I have a new Airport Extreme but have not attached a HD to it yet. Plan to add one soon to use for backups of Macbook Pro and one windows laptop and a linux desktop. Not sure this can be done.

    I am quite happy to date with the AE. Seems to work very good.

    Can you tell me the name of this app you have not used yet?

  4. #4
    Airport extreme Internet access to photos, videos, music?
    mrplow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 01, 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,759
    Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air 2, AppleTV2
    Quote Originally Posted by zBernie View Post
    The new Airport Extreme router docs indicate that you can connect an external drive which can be accessed from the Internet, i.e., a personal cloud. However I cannot find any references to any apps which can access the cloud device. Is there a mobile app which allows access to photos, videos, music, etc.?
    I can see reference to external disks being accessible on a your local network but can't find reference to internet access. Do you have a link?

    To the best of my knowledge there's no pre-defined way to do this with an extreme like there is with many NAS drives.
    The biggest hurdle to overcome is knowing your external IP. There are ways around it. Have a look here for one solution.

    Personally I prefer a dedicated NAS with a secure login that's designed to do the job.
    External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

    Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post

  5. #5
    Airport extreme Internet access to photos, videos, music?
    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    8,184
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3
    As member "mrplow" said, a HD connected to the Airport Extreme will be accessible on the local network but not from the Internet.

    Accessing your network from outside requires you to setup a publicly available name and so on. Most people use services like DynDNS to create a name and then have their dynamic IP addresses handed out from their ISP assigned to that name. That should get you all the way to your router and then you set up port forwarding rules to provide access to specific devices (on specific IP addresses) on specific ports.

    You definitely don't want to open up full access as that's gonna leave you vulnerable to attacks..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin



    Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.

  6. #6
    Airport extreme Internet access to photos, videos, music?

    Member Since
    Nov 20, 2012
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
    I can see reference to external disks being accessible on a your local network but can't find reference to internet access. Do you have a link?

    To the best of my knowledge there's no pre-defined way to do this with an extreme like there is with many NAS drives.
    The biggest hurdle to overcome is knowing your external IP. There are ways around it. Have a look here for one solution.

    Personally I prefer a dedicated NAS with a secure login that's designed to do the job.

    I'm not asking about external IP addresses -- They are easily handled by dynamic DNS. The question is, are there any apps which facilitate access to the videos, photos, and music, on the external drive attached to the Airport Extreme?

    For example, the D-Link Wireless AC1750 comes with mydlink SharePort which allows you to stream your media from anywhere. So far I'm getting the impression this is not possible with the Airport Extreme, or at least there's no builtin solution. Although the AE has what's called the "AirPort Disk", I believe that simply exposes files on your disk to the Internet, but does not allow you to stream your media like mydlink. Although that should not be too hard with third party apps.

  7. #7
    Airport extreme Internet access to photos, videos, music?
    mrplow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 01, 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,759
    Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air 2, AppleTV2
    There is no native app and 'Airport disk' exposes your files to your local network not the Internet. At least not without the third party apps and workaround already linked.

    I'd suggest that if this is something you need to do on a regular basis the extreme use not the right product to do so.
    External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

    Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post

  8. #8
    Airport extreme Internet access to photos, videos, music?
    SailingCyclops's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 21, 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    30
    Specs:
    Many Macs -Primary- Late 2012 iMac 27" 32 GB Memory 3.4GHz Core i7 750GB SSD Nvidia GeForce
    Quote Originally Posted by zBernie View Post
    I'm not asking about external IP addresses -- They are easily handled by dynamic DNS. The question is, are there any apps which facilitate access to the videos, photos, and music, on the external drive attached to the Airport Extreme?
    Well, yes. Any "app" or device which understands afp protocol.

    I share my video library with my GF over the Internet. She simply mounts my media drive on her Mac (the device) using afp://myip:myport and uses whatever player (app) is needed to play the media type.

    All I had to do on my end is map the ports properly in my Airport Extreme.
    "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" - Benjamin Franklin

  9. #9
    Airport extreme Internet access to photos, videos, music?
    alicepattinson's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 28, 2013
    Posts
    176
    Airport Extreme? is it like dropbox? this is the 1st time i heard it. Sorry hehe

  10. #10
    Airport extreme Internet access to photos, videos, music?
    SailingCyclops's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 21, 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    30
    Specs:
    Many Macs -Primary- Late 2012 iMac 27" 32 GB Memory 3.4GHz Core i7 750GB SSD Nvidia GeForce
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
    There is no native app and 'Airport disk' exposes your files to your local network not the Internet. At least not without the third party apps and workaround already linked.
    Not exactly: The "Share disks over WAN" option will allow Internet sharing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" - Benjamin Franklin

  11. #11
    Airport extreme Internet access to photos, videos, music?
    mrplow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 01, 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,759
    Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air 2, AppleTV2
    Quote Originally Posted by SailingCyclops View Post
    Not exactly: The "Share disks over WAN" option will allow Internet sharing.
    I stand corrected

    Though the point I was trying to make to the OP is that the Airport Extreme and supporting software does not make the process of remote access to media very straightforward and that there are better 'built for purpose' solutions.
    External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

    Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post

  12. #12
    Airport extreme Internet access to photos, videos, music?
    SailingCyclops's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 21, 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    30
    Specs:
    Many Macs -Primary- Late 2012 iMac 27" 32 GB Memory 3.4GHz Core i7 750GB SSD Nvidia GeForce
    Quote Originally Posted by alicepattinson View Post
    Airport Extreme? is it like dropbox? this is the 1st time i heard it. Sorry hehe
    With an Airport Extreme you can share a volume connected to a Mac over the Internet, like dropbox, yes. The Mac has to have file sharing turned on and you have to map TCP port 548 to the Mac doing the sharing. You must then have account(s) set up for individual people to share the volume, and specifically allow them read, write, or read/write permission on the share.

    The Airport Extreme does not have a disk drive, only a Time Capsule does. Time Capsule is an Airport Extreme with a disk, which can also accommodate another disk. Those disks can be shared over the Internet, like drop-box, yes.

    I don't know if you can do this with an Airport Express. It too has a USB port, but I don't know if it can accommodate a disk drive. I use my Airport Express to drive a stereo system and have a printer attached to the USB port.

    In the pic I uploaded above, see the option to share the disks of a Time Capsule in airport utility. Also be aware if you are going to do this, you will be exposing the disks to the Internet and you will need to password protect the disk(s). There is a good writeup on how to do this here: How-To: Access Your Time Capsule Over the Internet.
    "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security" - Benjamin Franklin

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Access attached HD to Airport Extreme over the internet
    By josefcarel in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2011, 03:54 AM
  2. moving photos, music, videos, and documents from old PC to new MBP
    By ScubaDachshund in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 10:57 AM
  3. Puzzling Airport Extreme/internet Access Problem
    By jimnation in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 10:15 PM
  4. Comcast Internet, wireless network with Airport Extreme and Airport Express(es)
    By mtimberg in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 11:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •