Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    MacKeeper - a new ploy.
    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    20,061
    Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    MacKeeper - a new ploy.
    Well they are at it again. This time an email about the best uninstaller, of course with a link to the following about MacKeeper being the best app remover on the market:-

    How to Uninstall on Mac...The Hassle-Free Method!


    New users beware and NOT use this. It is crapware at its worst:-


    http://themacfeed.com/2011/06/17/mac...er-slimy-tale/
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  2. #2
    MacKeeper - a new ploy.
    MacDude121's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 22, 2010
    Posts
    1,426
    Specs:
    Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
    I keep getting pop ups about MacKeeper wherever I go. It's like they immediately know you're using a Mac, and try to sell their horrible software to you.

    Pathetic.
    -Evan

  3. #3
    MacKeeper - a new ploy.
    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,398
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDude121 View Post
    It's like they immediately know you're using a Mac
    It's surprisingly easy to figure out what OS the user is using as they browse the web. In fact, I just whipped up this quick example (here) in about ten minutes that detects your OS, browser and the version of the browser.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  4. #4
    MacKeeper - a new ploy.
    Pigstick's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 12, 2011
    Location
    China
    Posts
    79
    Specs:
    Mac OSX 10.7.3: MBP 15" Early 2011 2.0GHz i7, 8GB, 500GB 5400RPM
    I was going nuts with ads for MacKeeper on seemed like every page I went to. I installed Ad Block Plus (I'm using Chrome) (http://adblockplus.org/en/) and have not seen the ads since. Wonderful!

  5. #5
    MacKeeper - a new ploy.

    Member Since
    Mar 13, 2012
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigstick View Post
    I was going nuts with ads for MacKeeper on seemed like every page I went to. I installed Ad Block Plus (I'm using Chrome) (Adblock Plus — for annoyance-free web surfing) and have not seen the ads since. Wonderful!
    While I agree that the MacKeeper ads are absolutely everywhere, I wouldn't opt to use any sort of adblocker because the internet is free mostly (solely?) because of ads.

  6. #6
    MacKeeper - a new ploy.
    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,398
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by yonyz View Post
    While I agree that the MacKeeper ads are absolutely everywhere, I wouldn't opt to use any sort of adblocker because the internet is free mostly (solely?) because of ads.
    I disagree - the internet is littered with ads. In fact, it can be quite obnoxious in some places and can detract from the content.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  7. #7
    MacKeeper - a new ploy.
    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Location
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    Posts
    20,061
    Specs:
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.5
    Free of ads? As van smith states littered and obnoxious. Essential AdBlockerPlus.
    Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

  8. #8
    MacKeeper - a new ploy.

    Member Since
    Mar 13, 2012
    Posts
    17
    What I said is that the internet's content is free BECAUSE of ads, not that it is free OF ads. I know there's ads everywhere, and that's where services such as Instapaper, Readability and Read It Later come in. Also, you can hit the Print button for distraction-free reading.

  9. #9
    MacKeeper - a new ploy.
    Chuckoir's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 21, 2011
    Location
    London, Londonshire, England.
    Posts
    723
    Specs:
    13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
    Quote Originally Posted by yonyz View Post
    While I agree that the MacKeeper ads are absolutely everywhere, I wouldn't opt to use any sort of adblocker because the internet is free mostly (solely?) because of ads.
    Quote Originally Posted by yonyz View Post
    I know there's ads everywhere, and that's where services such as Instapaper, Readability and Read It Later come in...
    I'm struggling to see what the difference is here. Apart from one allows you to read offline, both remove adverts.

    While the Internet may be free because of the huge amount of ads there are online, I don't want to have them flashing up all over the place when I'm trying to look at a webpage, hence why Ad Block Plus is the first plug in I install for any browser.

    If I want to buy something, I'll go looking for it. The same reason I record most of my TV shows, and then fast forward the ad breaks.
    Play the guitar?! Check out the [newly created]Mac-Forums guitar thread!

  10. #10
    MacKeeper - a new ploy.

    Member Since
    Mar 13, 2012
    Posts
    17
    I just learned to ignore the ads. I believe that's the case with most people. I won't use AdBlock because I'd rather the site owners get the money they deserve for their content, no matter how flashy the ads are, it's their content, their website, their rights. I have no right to take the content without 'paying' the price they want me to pay for it.

  11. #11
    MacKeeper - a new ploy.
    Doug b's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 22, 2008
    Location
    Forest Hills, NYC
    Posts
    3,343
    Specs:
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by yonyz View Post
    I just learned to ignore the ads. I believe that's the case with most people. I won't use AdBlock because I'd rather the site owners get the money they deserve for their content, no matter how flashy the ads are, it's their content, their website, their rights. I have no right to take the content without 'paying' the price they want me to pay for it.
    What on earth are you talking about man?! I PAY my ISP in order to use the internet, and it is totally MY choice as to whether or not I want to actually click on a link or not. But to have a flashing ad in my face which I'm forced to click on in order for it to disappear is very much a form of sleezy advertising. Your claim that the internet is mainly free because of ads, is OH SO WRONG! I suppose you think that watching television commercials before a movie is cool too, eh?

    Why then are ticket prices so expensive then? What about concessions? Shouldn't all the advertising take care of that for us? Or what about ads on the subway and busses? Brother...

    Yeah, if someone asks me nicely to click an ad in order to support their website, I certainly will. Case in point: Steve Huff of stevehuffphoto.com I love his camera/lens reviews because he's a street shooter with a soul. He loves shooting and does reviews from a real world perspective, and not from a cold, clinical standpoint. He has stated in different places on his site that by clicking on the links to other websites, all money goes to keeping his shooting habits/reviews/website going. I have zero problem with that, and in fact, encourage it. But don't go waving your sleezy and pushy ads in my face, because I'll tell you to stick it.

    Yep, Adblock Plus, Adblock Pop Up ad on and Better Privacy are an integral part of my setup.

    Doug

  12. #12
    MacKeeper - a new ploy.
    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,379
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    It's surprisingly easy to figure out what OS the user is using as they browse the web. In fact, I just whipped up this quick example (here) in about ten minutes that detects your OS, browser and the version of the browser.
    Pretty cool. But detected my browser to 5.1 when in the real world its 5.1.3. Is that a glitch or was it written to detect i suppose the core version of the browse? That make sense?

    But back on topic. Thanks Harry for sharing bc as with you i detest MK and there affiliates bc of there flooding advertising. There more it gets out there the better.

    Mods maybe someone can share this thread via Twitter and FB ? Hasn't been much traffic on FB lately.

    Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  13. #13
    MacKeeper - a new ploy.
    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,398
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    Pretty cool. But detected my browser to 5.1 when in the real world its 5.1.3. Is that a glitch or was it written to detect i suppose the core version of the browse? That make sense?
    Oh yeah, it's by no means "super accurate." It only seems to get the major and maybe the minor version number (so, X.x). For instance, it tells me that I'm using Chrome 19 when I browse in Chrome but the full version number is 19.0.1084.15. However, it correctly reports 11.62 when I browse to it in Opera.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  14. #14
    MacKeeper - a new ploy.

    Member Since
    Mar 13, 2012
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
    What on earth are you talking about man?! I PAY my ISP in order to use the internet, and it is totally MY choice as to whether or not I want to actually click on a link or not. But to have a flashing ad in my face which I'm forced to click on in order for it to disappear is very much a form of sleezy advertising. Your claim that the internet is mainly free because of ads, is OH SO WRONG! I suppose you think that watching television commercials before a movie is cool too, eh?

    Why then are ticket prices so expensive then? What about concessions? Shouldn't all the advertising take care of that for us? Or what about ads on the subway and busses? Brother...

    Yeah, if someone asks me nicely to click an ad in order to support their website, I certainly will. Case in point: Steve Huff of stevehuffphoto.com I love his camera/lens reviews because he's a street shooter with a soul. He loves shooting and does reviews from a real world perspective, and not from a cold, clinical standpoint. He has stated in different places on his site that by clicking on the links to other websites, all money goes to keeping his shooting habits/reviews/website going. I have zero problem with that, and in fact, encourage it. But don't go waving your sleezy and pushy ads in my face, because I'll tell you to stick it.

    Yep, Adblock Plus, Adblock Pop Up ad on and Better Privacy are an integral part of my setup.

    Doug
    You pay your ISP, but none of that money goes to the people who make the content you read. And no, I don't think cinema ads are fair or anything, because you pay for a ticket a sum of money that goes to both the cinema and the makers of the movie. That is not similar to the case of internet ads.

  15. #15
    MacKeeper - a new ploy.
    chas_m's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    18,967
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    To put this another way: if everyone on the internet used adblockers, this site (and most other sites) would cease to exist. There'd be little left beyond personal blogs -- a lot like the internet was in 1996, but with better coding skillz.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mackeeper
    By JimLahey in forum Security Awareness
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-01-2015, 05:27 PM
  2. Mackeeper
    By j0nb0y32 in forum Community Suggestions and Feedback
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-10-2015, 01:47 PM
  3. MacKeeper
    By Marcy McPike in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 09-10-2014, 09:14 AM
  4. mackeeper
    By shellsky in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-15-2012, 12:56 AM
  5. mackeeper?
    By zwazo in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 03:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •