Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Citations in Word 2008

    Member Since
    Apr 06, 2010
    Posts
    5
    Citations in Word 2008
    Hello all,

    I am using Word 2008 for Mac. When I use the built-in citations system, Word will only allow me to either have the name and year in brackets in the text it self, i.e. (Mac-forum, 2008), or the full name of the work in the footnote. Is it possible to only have the name and year in the footnote?

  2. #2
    Citations in Word 2008

    Member Since
    Apr 12, 2010
    Posts
    2
    Hi Christian,

    I'v been going crazy about this for a couple of days, googling every possible footnote/citation/word for mac combination and finding nothing. If you find an answer please post it. Is it possible that for such a simple thing i have to turn on windows???

    Best

  3. #3
    Citations in Word 2008
    toMACsh's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 30, 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,828
    Specs:
    Mac Mini Core 2 Duo
    You want it to allow you to provide less information than it is. And that's a problem? I could see a problem if it was not allowing you to provide as much information as you want to. Maybe it's using some type of standard. If you've ever used the APA Guide, you'll know just how extensive and picky citations can get.

  4. #4
    Citations in Word 2008
    Ekim's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 24, 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    146
    Specs:
    MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianMadsen View Post
    Hello all,

    I am using Word 2008 for Mac. When I use the built-in citations system, Word will only allow me to either have the name and year in brackets in the text it self, i.e. (Mac-forum, 2008), or the full name of the work in the footnote. Is it possible to only have the name and year in the footnote?
    You will have to explicitly write it yourself as the application is following MLA format, i.e. (Jobs, 2010) and standardized footnote notation. Once you create the footnote, just click it and type what you'd like.

  5. #5
    Citations in Word 2008

    Member Since
    Apr 12, 2010
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by toMACsh View Post
    You want it to allow you to provide less information than it is. And that's a problem? I could see a problem if it was not allowing you to provide as much information as you want to. Maybe it's using some type of standard. If you've ever used the APA Guide, you'll know just how extensive and picky citations can get.
    It is a problem when you want an uniform citation style with disregard of the position of the citation + you want the citation manager to take care of it. Could be that APA requires full referencing in the footnote, but than the Windows version of MS Office got it wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
    You will have to explicitly write it yourself as the application is following MLA format, i.e. (Jobs, 2010) and standardized footnote notation. Once you create the footnote, just click it and type what you'd like.
    If this is the case than too bad. Maybe in the next version of Word.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Default word tables - word 2008
    By sarahheath01 in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 01:10 AM
  2. Word For Mac 2011 Citations/Bibliography Problems
    By hokeryx in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-09-2012, 11:46 AM
  3. MS Word 2008 "Microsoft Word want to use the font..."
    By robcub in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2010, 09:26 PM
  4. No delete entire word to right of cursor in MS Word 2008?
    By dorseye in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-26-2010, 03:55 PM
  5. Microsoft Word 2008: Citations PROBLEM!
    By lmsdawn in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 11:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •