Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    best alternative mp3 player to ipod - mac and pc compatible

    Member Since
    May 02, 2005
    Posts
    173
    best alternative mp3 player to ipod - mac and pc compatible
    Hi,
    I have both Mac's and PC's at my home that I work with.
    I am looking to get a new mp3 player.
    My latest Rio Karma 20GB has been great and still works great; but I just bought a brand new powerbook for my travel photography. I will be on the road for up to a year and it is so great to trade songs with other travellers from around the world on my laptop.
    But my PC based MP3 player will not load on the mac (nor is there software available for it).
    I want to avoid getting the IPOD (I would assume that they are cross platform?) mainly because I want to avoid using their ipod specific file types. I am not quite sure what this means, but I hear that users need itunes, plus they have difficulty using some formats...or can only use apple mp3's or somehting like that. I want to avoid this...and get a simple plug and play device.
    Any advice

  2. #2
    best alternative mp3 player to ipod - mac and pc compatible
    baggss's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 10, 2004
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    10,310
    Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    iPods do need iTunes to manage your library and synch your songs with the iPod, but there are other alternatives. iTunes is both Mac and PC. You can use any MP3 file on an iPod, but iTMS only sells songs in Apples DRM'd ACC format. iPods do not support some formats, most notably WMA, OCC and FLAK (sp?).

    For more info I'd suggest trying iLounge (www.ilounge.com), formerly iPodLounge or DAP review (www.dapreview.net).


  3. #3
    best alternative mp3 player to ipod - mac and pc compatible
    caribiner23's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 06, 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,543
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" • iPhone 6 • iPad Air • and many iPods
    My daughter had a Creative MuVo that worked just fine with both PC and Mac. It was a nice little player with an FM tuner that doubled as a USB drive.

    The only thing I had to do was rip songs that I bought on iTunes or Napster to regular MP3s.

  4. #4
    best alternative mp3 player to ipod - mac and pc compatible

    Member Since
    Jun 30, 2005
    Posts
    97
    iTunes shouuld reencode songs that are incompatible with iPod. At least ut does with wma...

  5. #5
    best alternative mp3 player to ipod - mac and pc compatible
    BigBear's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 18, 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    435
    Specs:
    ibook G4 14in
    i'd say look into some creative players either the zen or muvo lines (depending on your size requirements). i have a little muvo txfm and it works great. i always liked that creative included an fm tuner; allowed me to tune into the local npr station when i needed a break from music.

    creative's site for mp3 players

    my apple is bling *tisk tisk, you shouldn't have any bling.. just nice things*

  6. #6
    best alternative mp3 player to ipod - mac and pc compatible

    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2004
    Posts
    3,378
    There are so many different players out there that are pretty nice, it really depends on what you are looking for. sandisk just came out with a 4gb flash mp3 player thats only $200

  7. #7
    best alternative mp3 player to ipod - mac and pc compatible
    johninc's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 28, 2004
    Location
    Albany, CA
    Posts
    643
    Specs:
    ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
    I'd have to say the M:Robe or the BlueCube both I've thought are awesome. Even though they may not work on the mac.

  8. #8
    best alternative mp3 player to ipod - mac and pc compatible

    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,744
    Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightm
    Hi,
    I have both Mac's and PC's at my home that I work with.
    I am looking to get a new mp3 player.
    My latest Rio Karma 20GB has been great and still works great; but I just bought a brand new powerbook for my travel photography. I will be on the road for up to a year and it is so great to trade songs with other travellers from around the world on my laptop.
    But my PC based MP3 player will not load on the mac (nor is there software available for it).
    I want to avoid getting the IPOD (I would assume that they are cross platform?) mainly because I want to avoid using their ipod specific file types. I am not quite sure what this means, but I hear that users need itunes, plus they have difficulty using some formats...or can only use apple mp3's or somehting like that. I want to avoid this...and get a simple plug and play device.
    Any advice
    There's no such thing as an "Apple MP3." iPod plays normal MP3, AIFF, and WAV files, along with MPEG-4 Advanced Audio Codec (AAC)

    iPod also plays songs from the Apple iTunes store, but nobody will force you to use the store if you don't want to.

    You can, if you want, use ephpod on Windows instead of iTunes.

  9. #9
    Harryc
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by caribiner23
    My daughter had a Creative MuVo that worked just fine with both PC and Mac. It was a nice little player with an FM tuner that doubled as a USB drive.

    The only thing I had to do was rip songs that I bought on iTunes or Napster to regular MP3s.
    What software did your daughter use on the Mac to run the MuVO?

    http://www.creative.com/products/pro...ct=10659&nav=4

  10. #10
    bobbydazzler
    Guest
    to further someone elses post, iv had a creative zen for a while now and its great, but the software you get with it isn't mac compatible.

  11. #11
    yorg30
    Guest
    Hello there!
    Does any body knows where to get an iPod 20 GB 3rd generation software? I got this iPod from eBay, but didn't come with the apple iPod CD. Is there anyway that I can get that from Apple web-site?
    Help!

  12. #12
    best alternative mp3 player to ipod - mac and pc compatible
    caribiner23's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 06, 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,543
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" • iPhone 6 • iPad Air • and many iPods
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryc
    What software did your daughter use on the Mac to run the MuVO?
    A little thing I like to call "drag and drop." :-) I didn't use any software to manage it-- I just used Finder, and it worked perfectly.

    Quote Originally Posted by yorg30
    Does any body knows where to get an iPod 20 GB 3rd generation software?
    Go to http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/ and scroll down, looking at the right column for the box that says "iPod Software Updates." Click the link and download.

  13. #13
    yorg30
    Guest
    I see! Thanks

  14. #14
    best alternative mp3 player to ipod - mac and pc compatible
    surfwax95's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 27, 2005
    Location
    Fayetteville, AR
    Posts
    2,406
    Specs:
    15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs
    I had the same thing going before I got my iPod, but whenever I tried to trash something from the Muvo, it would still show x number of MBs free (even after relaunching Finder). I had to use Disk Util and wipe the Muvo everytime I wanted to put new songs on it.
    I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
    They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
    I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.

  15. #15
    best alternative mp3 player to ipod - mac and pc compatible
    caribiner23's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 06, 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,543
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro Retina 13" • iPhone 6 • iPad Air • and many iPods
    Quote Originally Posted by surfwax95
    ...whenever I tried to trash something from the Muvo, it would still show x number of MBs free (even after relaunching Finder). I had to use Disk Util and wipe the Muvo everytime I wanted to put new songs on it.
    Really? I didn't have that problem.

    I'll have to borrow a coworkers MuVo and see what it does (mwahahahah)...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Mac compatible MP3 player that isn't an ipod?
    By heaffer in forum Music, Audio, and Podcasting
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-04-2011, 05:10 AM
  2. Mac Compatible MP3 Player (Not iPod)
    By Sunnyb in forum Music, Audio, and Podcasting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-25-2009, 08:50 AM
  3. Mac Compatible Palm MP3 Player?
    By jjmac in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2006, 09:28 AM
  4. alternative to ipod? mac and pc compatible
    By wrightm in forum iPod Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-12-2005, 05:19 AM
  5. Alternative MP3 player
    By Garrett in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-21-2005, 05:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •