Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Whats the best screen recording software for the Mac?

    Member Since
    Sep 27, 2009
    Posts
    4
    Question Whats the best screen recording software for the Mac?
    Hey, I'm trying to do a screen recording for a product review of fuzzmeasure pro I am doing. I'm kind of new to Mac - a while back I saw a program called iShowU HD which looked awesome and affordable - I figured when I bought a mac one day, that'd be the one I'd get, but now Camtasia is out too, and to complicate matters, I did a search and found there are at least 10 screen recording apps out there.

    Any recommendations?

    - Jack

  2. #2
    Whats the best screen recording software for the Mac?
    D3v1L80Y's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2004
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    12,456
    Specs:
    MacBook
    __________________________________________________
    Posting and YOU|Forum Community Guidelines|The Apple Product Cycle|Forum Courtesy

    mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
    MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
    Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.


  3. #3
    Whats the best screen recording software for the Mac?
    NPuter's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 15, 2007
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    989
    Specs:
    15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
    If you have snow leopard - Quicktime X does screen recording pretty decently, and its free...

    "The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."

  4. #4
    Whats the best screen recording software for the Mac?
    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    I like screen flow, just because it's also a movie editor too. You can do a lot of neat effects.

  5. #5
    Whats the best screen recording software for the Mac?

    Member Since
    Sep 27, 2009
    Posts
    4
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

    Any thoughts on screen flow vs camtasia vs iShowUHD?

  6. #6
    Whats the best screen recording software for the Mac?
    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Well for one thing, Screen flow and camtasia are very similar. Both are pretty easy to use and the interface is really clean and simple. The only difference is that camtasia is a lot more expensive. iShowUHD doesn't seem to work on Snow Leopard. >_>"

  7. #7
    Whats the best screen recording software for the Mac?
    richsadams's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 17, 2009
    Location
    NW Left Coast
    Posts
    70
    Specs:
    iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    Well for one thing, Screen flow and camtasia are very similar. Both are pretty easy to use and the interface is really clean and simple. The only difference is that camtasia is a lot more expensive. iShowUHD doesn't seem to work on Snow Leopard. >_>"
    Camtasia for Mac is actually $99 through the end of the year. After that the price will be $149 Vs Screenflow for $99.

    Camtasia is a terrific program with an incredible number of features and flexibility. I don't have any experience with Screenflow, but it does look like a nice program. I'd download the free trials of both programs and take them for a spin.

    If you want something very basic, Techsmith the makers of Camtasia, offer a program called Jing. There's free version but Jing Pro which does MPEG-4/H.264 full motion video screen recordings as well is only $14.95/year.

  8. #8
    Whats the best screen recording software for the Mac?
    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
    Camtasia for Mac is actually $99 through the end of the year. After that the price will be $149 Vs Screenflow for $99.

    Camtasia is a terrific program with an incredible number of features and flexibility. I don't have any experience with Screenflow, but it does look like a nice program. I'd download the free trials of both programs and take them for a spin.

    If you want something very basic, Techsmith the makers of Camtasia, offer a program called Jing. There's free version but Jing Pro which does MPEG-4/H.264 full motion video screen recordings as well is only $14.95/year.
    They went and ninja updated that on me. I just checked that this morning and it wasn't 99 dollars.

  9. #9
    Whats the best screen recording software for the Mac?
    richsadams's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 17, 2009
    Location
    NW Left Coast
    Posts
    70
    Specs:
    iMac 27" Late 2013 - 3.5GHz Core i7 - 32GB RAM - GTX 780< 4GB GPU
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    They went and ninja updated that on me. I just checked that this morning and it wasn't 99 dollars.
    Maybe you saw the Windows version ($299 )? Camtasia for Mac has been $99 since August 25th when it was released.

  10. #10
    Whats the best screen recording software for the Mac?

    Member Since
    Jul 14, 2009
    Posts
    20
    Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
    If you have snow leopard - Quicktime X does screen recording pretty decently, and its free...
    yes, but there is a big but! Quicktime X puts the movie into too large of a format to use to burn to a dvd, that is the problem i am now having after someone told me to upgrade to snow leopard...read my thread, upgrade to snowleopard or keep existing leopard. This is so aggrevating to me.

  11. #11
    Whats the best screen recording software for the Mac?

    Member Since
    Oct 05, 2009
    Posts
    4
    snow leopard - Quicktime X is good.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Interactive Screen Recording Software Required
    By Stitchwod in forum Movies and Video
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2014, 07:33 PM
  2. Screen Recording Software with adjustable fps?
    By maac in forum Movies and Video
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-27-2011, 03:42 PM
  3. Screen Recording Software
    By iRock in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-03-2009, 12:01 PM
  4. Mac Software for Screen Recording
    By Zachary Quack in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-21-2009, 10:00 AM
  5. Screen recording software?
    By spilio in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-21-2007, 02:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •