Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: iPod in my car?

  1. #1
    iPod in my car?

    Member Since
    Aug 27, 2006
    Posts
    130
    iPod in my car?
    So I've been thinking about the best way to play my iPod in my car; I'm kind of tired of using headphones while driving (I have to crank it up, can't open window, etc.). So what other options do I have?

    I've considered FM transmitters, but they don't always seem to work well. Considering that you could easily drop $50 on a decent FM transmitter, why not just go with a car stereo with an AUX input right on the front of the stereo. Are there any downsides to this? They have car stereos at Wal-Mart (and other places, I assume) with AUX inputs for as little as $70. I can probably snag one off of eBay for even cheaper.

    So are there any downsides to going this route? Obviously, they'll probably be a pain to install, but how do they work with an iPod (Touch)?

  2. #2
    iPod in my car?
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    You need an iPod integration unit. They're the best possible solution in a car. What make, model and year is it?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  3. #3
    iPod in my car?
    Soulwar's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2008
    Location
    Estero, FL
    Posts
    1,515
    Specs:
    iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
    I have an Aux port on my radio that I use for my iPhone. Works great for me.
    I also found this link that seems interesting. (for cwa107's idea)
    http://www.icarkits.com/
    When all else fails, try everything!
    The Rep System and you.
    Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

    June 2008


  4. #4
    iPod in my car?

    Member Since
    Aug 27, 2006
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    You need an iPod integration unit. They're the best possible solution in a car. What make, model and year is it?
    Well, I'm not in need of the best possible solution. I just need something so I don't have to use headphones when driving.

  5. #5
    iPod in my car?

    Member Since
    Aug 27, 2006
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwar View Post
    I have an Aux port on my radio that I use for my iPhone. Works great for me.
    I also found this link that seems interesting. (for cwa107's idea)
    http://www.icarkits.com/
    Interesting. Though, I don't see how that'd be any better than using the AUX in on a stereo. Plus, for the same price, I could get a whole new (better) stereo.

  6. #6
    iPod in my car?
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by atomheartmother View Post
    Well, I'm not in need of the best possible solution. I just need something so I don't have to use headphones when driving.
    I have a DICE iPod integration unit for my Honda. It allows me to treat my iPod as though it were an XM Satellite Radio or a factory CD changer (two different modes of operation). So, I can change tracks, play playlists, read all of the text right on my stereo - and the best part of all, hide my iPod out of sight while still being able to enjoy it. For $120, I'm quite pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone. DICE isn't the only company that makes them though, there are dozens of other third party solutions that make it easy to connect your iPod directly to your factory stereo.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  7. #7
    iPod in my car?
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by atomheartmother View Post
    Interesting. Though, I don't see how that'd be any better than using the AUX in on a stereo. Plus, for the same price, I could get a whole new (better) stereo.
    My only concern with going that route is that you now have a shiny new aftermarket radio, which is appealing to thieves. Call me crazy, but I'd much rather have a factory stereo that is only compatible with my car - particularly if you park in crime-prone areas.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  8. #8
    iPod in my car?

    Member Since
    Aug 27, 2006
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    I have a DICE iPod integration unit for my Honda. It allows me to treat my iPod as though it were an XM Satellite Radio or a factory CD changer (two different modes of operation). So, I can change tracks, play playlists, read all of the text right on my stereo - and the best part of all, hide my iPod out of sight while still being able to enjoy it. For $120, I'm quite pleased with it and would recommend it to anyone. DICE isn't the only company that makes them though, there are dozens of other third party solutions that make it easy to connect your iPod directly to your factory stereo.
    That DICE won't work with my car. I checked the list.

  9. #9
    iPod in my car?
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by atomheartmother View Post
    That DICE won't work with my car. I checked the list.
    There are others - what kind of car is it?
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  10. #10
    iPod in my car?

    Member Since
    Mar 28, 2008
    Posts
    223
    how about a wired FM modulator. it plugs inline into your stereos antenna cable and you tune your radio to 88.6 or something like that. I had a CD changer that worked that way and it was great and easy to install

    http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-...ar.html?page=2

    http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...MMOD01&tp=1701

  11. #11
    iPod in my car?
    bryphotoguy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 02, 2007
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,978
    Specs:
    Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
    I installed this in my car. It has a specially designed iPod cable. I control everything through the head unit, not the iPod. It's pretty cool. Sounds great too. I had an FM transmitter and couldn't stand it.
    The only downside to the AUX input is the inability to also charge the iPod. With the Alpine unit I got, it charges so I can keep the album cover glowing or use the maps feature without worrying about the thing dying on a long trip.

    January 2008 Member of the Month

  12. #12
    iPod in my car?
    fleurya's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 18, 2006
    Location
    Anytown, USA
    Posts
    4,925
    Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad
    I got an integration cord made specifically for my car's factory unit. There are tons of companies making these for pretty much every car on the road. Though, they are a little more expensive because you can control your iPod/iPhone from your head unit and keep it charged. The downside with mine is that it only recognizes 10 playlists max.

    The solution to plug into your FM antenna looks good, but you loose the ability to listen to the radio. It may be a minor loss if you can listen to your favorite music anyway. I think I'm going to pick one of those up for my '65 Mustang since it's an original-styled unit with no other inputs.
    "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"

  13. #13
    iPod in my car?
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by fleurya View Post
    I got an integration cord made specifically for my car's factory unit. There are tons of companies making these for pretty much every car on the road. Though, they are a little more expensive because you can control your iPod/iPhone from your head unit and keep it charged. The downside with mine is that it only recognizes 10 playlists max.

    The solution to plug into your FM antenna looks good, but you loose the ability to listen to the radio. It may be a minor loss if you can listen to your favorite music anyway. I think I'm going to pick one of those up for my '65 Mustang since it's an original-styled unit with no other inputs.
    I used to have a wired FM modulator in a former vehicle and it allowed for a passthrough for the factory antenna. You could switch it on and off via a switch mounted somewhere on the dash.

    Not to get too far OT, but I think I saw a company (I want to say Custom Autosound) that makes a drop-in replacement for early Mustangs and a few other popular classic cars that has built-in iPod integration. I'm sure it's not cheap, but something to think about.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  14. #14
    iPod in my car?

    Member Since
    Aug 27, 2006
    Posts
    130
    My car is a 2000 Chevrolet Cavalier. I'll look into the wired FM thing. I've decided to forgo getting a new stereo; I'd need a special harness adapter thing, which would end up running me at least $170 with a lower end stereo, plus all of the time to install.

    Anyone know anything about AUX input adapters? Apparently it somehow would hook up to my stereo through CD changer or something. Would this mean that I can no longer play CD's?

    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tR00O08...x?I=469GM12AX2

  15. #15
    iPod in my car?

    Member Since
    Jan 30, 2008
    Location
    Close to nowhere, far from anywhere
    Posts
    104
    Specs:
    Mac Mini
    Kudos to whoever posted the iCarKits link... I am buying one of the Neo Pro Link kits, I had been using a crappy Belkin FM Modulator. This is about the only other option for my Jeep. The 2006+ models have the auxiliary input on the stock head unit, but mine's a 2005. I don't wanna change the head unit, so this seems to be a decent option.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Play ipod through car my car stereo cassette player
    By sago48 in forum iPod Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-29-2013, 03:14 AM
  2. iPod in your car
    By swayp11 in forum iPod Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-13-2007, 09:36 PM
  3. Best way to use iPod in a car
    By markw10 in forum iPod Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 07:35 PM
  4. iPod in the car.
    By harris2 in forum iPod Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-28-2006, 02:25 PM
  5. How do I get my ipod in my car?
    By oo5yolo10 in forum iPod Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-27-2005, 11:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •