Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Unlock question...
    Shannonb's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 29, 2007
    Posts
    748
    Specs:
    2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
    Unlock question...
    I am probably getting an iPhone but I am going to need to unlock it. Does anybody what will happen when I first plug it into my mac and itunes? Will it request I activate it with AT & T or is the sync with mac strictly based off Apple?

    Basically, what I am saying is if I buy an iPhone will they know it isn't registered as an iPhone with AT & T? This is important because I will still be using the phone with AT & T service I just dont want nor can I have the 20 month charge on my family plan.

    Edit: One more thing. Has anybody done a unlock yet?

  2. #2
    Unlock question...
    Kash's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 03, 2006
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    9,385
    Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    When you first connect the iPhone to your computer, iTunes will start the activation process.

    Now if you plan on unlocking it and using it with another AT&T SIM card, then you'll want to quit iTunes and run the activation software. This would also be the time to unlock the phone. Then you should be able to swap out the SIM card that comes with the iPhone for one with a plan that you want to use the iPhone on.

    I haven't unlocked my iPhone for the simple reason that I have no use for it.

    June 2007
    July 2009

  3. #3
    Unlock question...
    Shannonb's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 29, 2007
    Posts
    748
    Specs:
    2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    When you first connect the iPhone to your computer, iTunes will start the activation process.

    Now if you plan on unlocking it and using it with another AT&T SIM card, then you'll want to quit iTunes and run the activation software. This would also be the time to unlock the phone. Then you should be able to swap out the SIM card that comes with the iPhone for one with a plan that you want to use the iPhone on.

    I haven't unlocked my iPhone for the simple reason that I have no use for it.
    How do I get quit iTunes and run the activation software? I'm lost lol.

  4. #4
    Unlock question...

    Member Since
    Aug 13, 2007
    Location
    Lakewood, California
    Posts
    24
    Specs:
    Macbook 2.0 GHz CD 2 GB RAM, 23" Samsung HDTV/Monitor , JBL Creature II, Apple Xbox 360,
    wait wait, I have a TMobile plan with unlimted data, and text, so your saying that i can buy an iphone, unlock it for free? and use my existing tmobile plan on it and still pay the same price?

  5. #5
    Unlock question...
    Shannonb's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 29, 2007
    Posts
    748
    Specs:
    2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmanSLR View Post
    wait wait, I have a TMobile plan with unlimted data, and text, so your saying that i can buy an iphone, unlock it for free? and use my existing tmobile plan on it and still pay the same price?
    Yes, but you the unlocks are not garantueed to work or not to screw up your phone. Also, firmware updates may relock the phone.

    But yes, you could do that.

  6. #6
    Unlock question...
    Kash's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 03, 2006
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    9,385
    Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannonb View Post
    How do I get quit iTunes and run the activation software? I'm lost lol.
    Well, for starters, you have to actually get the activation program

    Just quit iTunes and start up iNdependence and it'll give you the option to activate the iPhone.

    I haven't unlocked my iPhone, so I can't really help you with that.

    June 2007
    July 2009

  7. #7
    Unlock question...

    Member Since
    May 14, 2006
    Posts
    88
    Specs:
    G4 iBook
    Here's a neat guide to set your iPhone SIM free: http://www.hacktheiphone.com/74/ipho..._mac_74_1.html

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. iphone 5s unlock question.
    By fire2007 in forum iPhone Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-07-2013, 02:13 PM
  2. how to unlock my iphone4 4.11.08
    By jmmayor10 in forum iPhone Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-15-2012, 09:29 AM
  3. iPhone to Unlock or not. That is the question
    By rtchatty in forum iOS and Apps
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-23-2011, 10:15 AM
  4. Iphone 4 unlock question !
    By jigsb in forum iPhone Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 07:26 PM
  5. Slide to unlock
    By Schmange in forum iOS and Apps
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-07-2009, 05:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •