Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Wow!  Best Buy threatening to fire employee over iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo video
    MacTrooper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 24, 2009
    Location
    Near the middle
    Posts
    86
    Specs:
    iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz
    Wow! Best Buy threatening to fire employee over iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo video
    Things that make you go hmmmm...

    I'm neither a fan-boy nor a hater but I found this YouTube video highlighted by The iPhone Spot last week to be quite funny. [Warning: the video contains plenty of language that will be offensive to some.]

    Imagine my surprise when I see on the local news that not only is the creator local, he's also a Best Buy employee who is at risk of being fired because he won't pull the video down. Nevermind that the video never mentions Best Buy. I don't even think the that the real gist of the video is even about the iPhone as much as it is about the blind adoration that people sometimes direct at tech products, which lead to things like people being camped out in Dallas a week before product launch. People can be just as goofy about gaming systems, games themselves... heck, you name it.

    Like I said, I'm neither a fan-boy nor a hater, but I gotta go with young Mr. Maupin, the embattled employee, on this one. Shame on you, Best Buy.
     iMac 24"" 3.06GHz; 4GB RAM w/ Magic Mouse
     MacBook Pro 15" 2.53GHz w/ Magic Mouse
     iPhone 4 32GB
     iPod Classic 160GB

  2. #2
    Wow!  Best Buy threatening to fire employee over iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo video
    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Did they give a reason why BestBuy is threatening to fire him? Did the video share proprietary information that he would only know as a BestBuy employee?
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


  3. #3
    Wow!  Best Buy threatening to fire employee over iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo video

    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location
    Tampa , FL
    Posts
    1,957
    Specs:
    15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
    I just watched it, It's a pretty funny video and doesn't mention Bestbuy at all.

    I was cracking up, I needed a good laugh.

  4. #4
    Wow!  Best Buy threatening to fire employee over iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo video
    MacTrooper's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 24, 2009
    Location
    Near the middle
    Posts
    86
    Specs:
    iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz
    No. The video was created through some publicly hosted software, and is a fictitious exchange between a generic salesman and a customer looking for an iPhone. The news story only says that when BB realized one of their employees was the creator (probably as a result of some watercooler conversation that got reported up), he was asked to take it down.

    Maybe BB's beef is that the video really pokes fun at customers and they don't want to be associated with badmouthing customers. That, of course, is interesting since it is their own efforts to silence their employee that has linked the video with BB in the first place.
     iMac 24"" 3.06GHz; 4GB RAM w/ Magic Mouse
     MacBook Pro 15" 2.53GHz w/ Magic Mouse
     iPhone 4 32GB
     iPod Classic 160GB

  5. #5
    Wow!  Best Buy threatening to fire employee over iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo video
    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by MacTrooper View Post
    Maybe BB's beef is that the video really pokes fun at customers and they don't want to be associated with badmouthing customers. That, of course, is interesting since it is their own efforts to silence their employee that has linked the video with BB in the first place.
    In all honesty though, if an employee of any company can be identified with a piece of work which portrays the potential customer of that company in a negative way, any company would react the same way as BestBuy right now. Actually most companies even have written policies prohibiting such things.

    So as much as I might feel for the guy, he should have been more careful to not be identified with the video. I'm probably pretty sure BestBuy has some sort of clause against this in their employment contract or policy book.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


  6. #6
    Wow!  Best Buy threatening to fire employee over iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo video

    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location
    Tampa , FL
    Posts
    1,957
    Specs:
    15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
    Quote Originally Posted by schweb View Post
    In all honesty though, if an employee of any company can be identified with a piece of work which portrays the potential customer of that company in a negative way, any company would react the same way as BestBuy right now. Actually most companies even have written policies prohibiting such things.

    So as much as I might feel for the guy, he should have been more careful to not be identified with the video. I'm probably pretty sure BestBuy has some sort of clause against this in their employment contract or policy book.

    Very true, I work for USPS we have the same policies in effect in regards to what can and cannot say or do in or out of work.
    It was still a funny video, I just wish instead of mocking the customer they could make a video of the typical Bestbuy employee, Seriously it's near impossible to get good service there.

  7. #7
    Wow!  Best Buy threatening to fire employee over iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo video
    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
    I just wish instead of mocking the customer they could make a video of the typical Bestbuy employee, Seriously it's near impossible to get good service there.
    So true, that's why I refuse to shop there. If I wanted to deal with 16-year old brats, I'd be a high school teacher.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


  8. #8
    Wow!  Best Buy threatening to fire employee over iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo video

    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location
    Tampa , FL
    Posts
    1,957
    Specs:
    15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
    Quote Originally Posted by schweb View Post
    So true, that's why I refuse to shop there. If I wanted to deal with 16-year old brats, I'd be a high school teacher.
    Amen, my sentiments exactly.

  9. #9
    Wow!  Best Buy threatening to fire employee over iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo video
    markbyrn's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 21, 2010
    Location
    Central Florida, USA
    Posts
    49
    Specs:
    iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro
    Actually he made two videos that bashed both the iPhone and the EVO 4G, or more accurately, bashing the cultish fan boy syndrome that accompanies those who tout for either Apple or Android. I suppose if you work for Best Buy though, your job is to exploit the fan boys to maximize sales as opposed to mocking them.

  10. #10
    Wow!  Best Buy threatening to fire employee over iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo video
    macjuicy23's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 31, 2007
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    987
    Specs:
    IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
    Over 3 million hits you would think he would of made a donation Paypal even if each person gave .50 cents lmao imagine

  11. #11
    Wow!  Best Buy threatening to fire employee over iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo video

    Member Since
    Apr 26, 2010
    Posts
    146
    That was hysterical. Thanks for posting it!

  12. #12
    Wow!  Best Buy threatening to fire employee over iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo video
    MYmacROX's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2009
    Posts
    3,626
    Specs:
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite
    Whatever their reasons, I can understand B.B. not wanting an employee to be tied to something even slightly controversial or offensive. They are a huge company with lots of money and there's always some moron out there looking to sue you over anything and everything. Especially if you're a bigger company.
    If a teacher can be fired over facebook photos, then this story doesn't seem so outrageous.

    Personal opinion: parts of it were humorous, but the gratuitous foul language took a lot away from the humor. Could have done without that altogether.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

    Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

  13. #13
    Wow!  Best Buy threatening to fire employee over iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo video
    macjuicy23's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 31, 2007
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    987
    Specs:
    IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
    Quote Originally Posted by MYmacROX View Post
    Whatever their reasons, I can understand B.B. not wanting an employee to be tied to something even slightly controversial or offensive. They are a huge company with lots of money and there's always some moron out there looking to sue you over anything and everything. Especially if you're a bigger company.
    If a teacher can be fired over facebook photos, then this story doesn't seem so outrageous.

    Personal opinion: parts of it were humorous, but the gratuitous foul language took a lot away from the humor. Could have done without that altogether.
    Seriously... Here are Key points
    1. He never mentioned BB
    2. Its not like hes an executive for the company
    3. he doesent even appear on the video
    4. I think its just a load of crap to get Youtube Hits thats all LOL

  14. #14
    Wow!  Best Buy threatening to fire employee over iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo video
    Doug b's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 22, 2008
    Location
    Forest Hills, NYC
    Posts
    3,343
    Specs:
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by macjuicy23 View Post
    Seriously... Here are Key points
    1. He never mentioned BB
    2. Its not like hes an executive for the company
    3. he doesent even appear on the video
    4. I think its just a load of crap to get Youtube Hits thats all LOL
    Doesn't matter. It's called being an responsible adult and an representative of the company you work for. The guy wanted attention, and now he's got it. But the problem here is that he's not only putting himself in the public eye, but also the company he works for.

    Sure, I personally think it's silly.. but have you even SEEN the stupid media world we've been subjected to in this idiotic 21st century? You can't say or do anything these days, without being the subject of a media circus, and BB don't want that sort of publicity. It's their business, and they can run it anyway they see fit.

    If this guy has a big enough mouth to go and tell his BB employee pals about the video, and didn't see forward enough to know that he should have just shut his yapper, then it's all fair game IMO.

    Ya live and learn. That's life. And for the record, I laughed my patoot off the first time I saw that animation. For some reason though, no matter how many more times I watch it, it's just never been funny again. Weird.

    Doug

  15. #15
    Wow!  Best Buy threatening to fire employee over iPhone 4 vs HTC Evo video
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,466
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
    Very true, I work for USPS we have the same policies in effect in regards to what can and cannot say or do in or out of work.
    Ahh-Ha!!! That explains the "gun" fetish!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. HTC Evo 4G Issues
    By audiofader in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 10:44 PM
  2. iPhone4 vs HTC Evo 4
    By james_b in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 02:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •