Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37
  1. #16


    Member Since
    Dec 05, 2011
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
    Right now I just have the smart cover I want to get a back cover for the new iPad 3. I haven't decided on a specific brand yet. Going to go to Best Buy and Target to check out what they have.
    I plan on doing the same thing. right now I have a naked iPad with the black smart cover. My bestskinsever is on it's way and then I plan on getting a sleeve.

  2. #17

    IvanLasston's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 26, 2010
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High, Colorado
    Posts
    2,116
    Specs:
    1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCyclist View Post
    Ivan,

    How long have you carried your ipad in a sleeve in your backpack. The new iPad is my first, and I ride my bicycle a lot to class, so I was planning on doing the same thing...getting a sleeve then putting that into my backpack. Have you had any troubles?
    I carried the iPad 2 just in a sling pack from Eddie Bauer. Not a lot of protection - and I noticed I wasn't all that gentle when putting down the sling.
    This is the next generation - but you get the idea - no real padding
    Sling Pack | Eddie Bauer

    I got a Built sleeve and backing from REI-Outlet for something like half off ~$25 so I bought it just to try it out. I put the iPad in the sleeve most of the time.
    Travel Pack for iPad 2 | BUILT

    That Built hard back - fit over my leather Zagg - onto the New iPad - a little bit off for buttons - but I think the camera was OK. Anyway - I don't use the plastic back much - I used to put it on every now and then.

    I flew a lot with that setup and haven't had any problems. The only issue I have is with the smart cover. My blue smart cover started tearing around the metal bar so it slides up and down now - making it worse. It may be because I used to keep the iPad in my backpack - next to my MBP. I am keeping the New iPad in the sleeve - hopefully it saves the smart cover.

  3. #18

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
    I carried the iPad 2 just in a sling pack from Eddie Bauer. Not a lot of protection - and I noticed I wasn't all that gentle when putting down the sling.
    This is the next generation - but you get the idea - no real padding
    Sling Pack | Eddie Bauer

    I got a Built sleeve and backing from REI-Outlet for something like half off ~$25 so I bought it just to try it out. I put the iPad in the sleeve most of the time.
    Travel Pack for iPad 2 | BUILT

    That Built hard back - fit over my leather Zagg - onto the New iPad - a little bit off for buttons - but I think the camera was OK. Anyway - I don't use the plastic back much - I used to put it on every now and then.

    I flew a lot with that setup and haven't had any problems. The only issue I have is with the smart cover. My blue smart cover started tearing around the metal bar so it slides up and down now - making it worse. It may be because I used to keep the iPad in my backpack - next to my MBP. I am keeping the New iPad in the sleeve - hopefully it saves the smart cover.
    I like the bag idea. Just don't want something that looks like a murse. >_> Aka Man purse. I have been looking at a few but not sure which one to get. I would prefer the bag to be leather. Vertical messenger bag that is made of leather basically. I have seen a few but they look ugly or are not made of leather.

    Still getting the folio type case though. I still like then colors offered by dodocase. They seem to price their cases at a higher price point compared to their competitors >_>" Except they didn't nearly offer as much customization or personalization.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

  4. #19

    IvanLasston's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 26, 2010
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High, Colorado
    Posts
    2,116
    Specs:
    1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
    I have the previous generation Eddie Bauer as I said, but I also got this one from my company.
    Patagonia Atom Sling Pack
    As far as I can tell - these sling packs are the only things that don't look like Murses. If you are OK with the European carry-all look - and you are looking for leather then there are two that look really good - but are expensive.
    The Muzetto I really like the look - but it is very Metro
    Muzetto? Leather Bags - Laptop Bag - Man Bag - Personal Bag - SFBags - WaterField Designs

    Any of the Saddlebacks - but man that is some money just for a bag
    Leather Satchel
    But if Indiana Jones carried a satchel - so can you.

    Edit: I forgot - I looked at L.L. Bean as well - for leather bags.
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/30116?feat=847-GN1

    I also - have not found what I am looking for. Again - if you find a leather bag please review that too. Yet again I have held off on getting anything due to price.

  5. #20

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
    I have the previous generation Eddie Bauer as I said, but I also got this one from my company.
    Patagonia Atom Sling Pack
    As far as I can tell - these sling packs are the only things that don't look like Murses. If you are OK with the European carry-all look - and you are looking for leather then there are two that look really good - but are expensive.
    The Muzetto I really like the look - but it is very Metro
    Muzetto? Leather Bags - Laptop Bag - Man Bag - Personal Bag - SFBags - WaterField Designs

    Any of the Saddlebacks - but man that is some money just for a bag
    Leather Satchel
    But if Indiana Jones carried a satchel - so can you.

    Edit: I forgot - I looked at L.L. Bean as well - for leather bags.
    Healthy Back Bag, Leather: Shoulder Bags | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

    I also - have not found what I am looking for. Again - if you find a leather bag please review that too. Yet again I have held off on getting anything due to price.
    Yeah saw the Muzetto one. Didn't like the color thing that they had going on. Ended up going with Saddleback medium Satchel in Chestnut brown. Cost almost as much as the iPad. >_<" I <3 Indiana Jones.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

  6. #21


    Member Since
    Aug 30, 2009
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    145
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
    I picked up a Targus case at Best Buy for my new iPad. The case actually works like a Smart cover, so I don't have to carry it around with me in addition to the case.

    Targus Vuscape Case - BestBuy
    -------------------------------------------------
    15" Retina MacBook Pro (Late 2013)
    2.6 GHz Core i7 | 16GB | 1TB SSD | OS X Mavericks 10.9.3

  7. #22

    sn315on's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 19, 2012
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    12
    Specs:
     iMac, iPad Mini, MBP, Air
    I had them put on a Zagg front screen protector at Best Buy and bought a grey, translucent back by Belkin. I also have a pink smart cover, I bought with the iPad from Apple. All of that fits into a little netbook case I bought years ago from Swiss Army. Should work for trips and other things.
    Sara

  8. #23

    dekan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 16, 2007
    Posts
    756
    I got the Brenthaven sleeve. It's super padded so I wouldn't worry about it at all when transporting it from and to work, travelling, ... I'd definitely recommend it:

    ProStyle

    On top of that I got the Apple smart cover so that I can use it as a stand too. The sleeve fits the iPad with the Smart Cover on it.

  9. #24


    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    20,911
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I picked up the Marware EcoVue, a nice "eco-leather" (made with fewer toxins) as seen here:

    EcoVue Case for The new iPad

    This is very nice with a lot of nice touches, but I'm returning it because the magnet doesn't work.

    And now we know why.

    Otherwise, I'd say it's a great case for the iPad and would have recommended it. I was originally looking at cases with a BT keyboard built-in, but thanks to Siri Dictation I no longer feel that pressing a need for one!

  10. #25

    darrylyoung's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 26, 2008
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    213
    I never thought I'd be asking about iPad cases as I've never had an iPad but I picked one of the new ones up a few days ago! I won't be travelling much with it so I'm not really looking for a proper travel case but I'd kind of like some kind of 'sleeve' or something for it for when I'm not using it at home. I don't fancy just leaving it around completely 'naked'. Can anyone recommend a basic type of sleeve/case that I could store it in? The ProStyle mentioned above seems pretty good but maybe a bit overkill for me. Thanks in advance.
    Web Developer, Vegan & Tech geek. Berlin.

  11. #26


    Member Since
    Dec 05, 2011
    Posts
    32
    I ordered a basic felt case from this girl who hand makes them in Minnesota. They don't run cheap...about $53, but it's a nice looking case and nothing to fancy. Byrdandbelle.com is the website.

  12. #27

    Ramimac1's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 29, 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    263
    Specs:
    2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
    I have one of these coming Pelican i1075 HardBack Case (With iPad Insert) 1070-005-110 B&H

    I like the Idea of having a sturdy travel case

    I also have a TPU back and a smart cover
    Old time Computer Hardware Tech
    Ohh My Typing Sucks Live with it

    Snoopy is the Man !!!

  13. #28


    Member Since
    Dec 05, 2011
    Posts
    32
    I just applied my BestSkinsEver front screen protector to my iPad. When it fully cures in a couple days, I'll give you my full opinion, but right now it's still drying.

    There are some small air bubbles underneath the protector, but those are supposed to clear up as it cures.

    The main gripe I have right now (and this may go away as well) is that the screen protector does something funny to the image on the screen. If you can imagine, it takes the tiny, tiny red, blue, and green pixels and makes them more noticeable. This maybe something that clears up once the moisture dries between the two layers, but I'll let you know.

  14. #29

    mrplow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 01, 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,812
    Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    I picked up the Marware EcoVue, a nice "eco-leather" (made with fewer toxins) as seen here:

    EcoVue Case for The new iPad

    This is very nice with a lot of nice touches, but I'm returning it because the magnet doesn't work.

    And now we know why.

    Otherwise, I'd say it's a great case for the iPad and would have recommended it. I was originally looking at cases with a BT keyboard built-in, but thanks to Siri Dictation I no longer feel that pressing a need for one!
    Saved me a lot of hassle that link, thanks chas_m
    I've seen a few people moaning about the iPad2 Smart Cover being a bit hit and miss with the new iPad but I couldn't find anything other unsupported gripes.

    Just for some further info the 'new' smart Covers that were released November 2011 and work with the new iPad/iPad 3 have model numbers that begin MD30 (the rest changes by colour). I believe the 'old' covers started MC93.
    Hope that helps people ID the correct one.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

    Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

  15. #30

    mrplow's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 01, 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    6,812
    Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    I am now the proud owner of a new iPad (32gb black, 4g - well 3g here in the UK). A very very kind gift from a friend.

    My gen 1 iPad has lived most of it's life in a Griffin Folio case. My iPhone 4 and 4s most of the time in bumper cases. But, on a whim the other week I removed the bumper to try and use the phone 'naked' - it's like having a new phone all over again. So I tried the same with my iPad. Fantastic experience not being encumbered by the case.

    Without a case on either device, in my opinion, is the best experience. But when transporting them around a little protection gives piece of mind. So for the iPhone and the new iPad I've gone for a slip case (and a smart cover, as above, to use mainly as a stand).

    This is the one I went for:
    Exspect iPad Leather Slip Case - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

    So far I'm a very happy plow
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

    Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cases - iPad Mini
    By Nighthawk4 in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 02:57 AM
  2. iPad cases
    By Tomsimo in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 03:49 AM
  3. Skins / Cases
    By anonymust in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-13-2011, 09:53 PM
  4. Magnets in iPad cases??
    By class77 in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-08-2011, 07:04 AM
  5. iPad cases in the UK!?
    By Macs in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 11:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •