Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: iPad stylus

  1. #1
    iPad stylus
    Leiyah's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 23, 2011
    Location
    Buckeye-land
    Posts
    105
    Specs:
    iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
    iPad stylus
    I want to get a stylus for note-taking on the iPad but I have found/heard mixed reviews. I plan to use it for apps such as iAnnotate, Penultimate, etc.

    What stylus do you have or recommend? Do they work well? Does it create a problem if other parts of your hand touch the screen while writing? Do they feel similar to a pen? Does it write like a fine tip or a fat marker?

    All advice is appreciated. TIA!

  2. #2
    iPad stylus
    osxx's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Location
    houston texas
    Posts
    4,695
    Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    I think I will pick one of these up unless someone knows of a better one. Pogo Sketch

  3. #3
    iPad stylus
    MinaMACMan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 16, 2007
    Location
    Redwood City, CA / Stanford, CA
    Posts
    1,792
    Specs:
    MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
    Leiya... With an App like penultimate they have a really cool algorithm that they call "wrist protection" whichnin essence means that it will automatically detect where your wrist is and ignore the input from it. It actually works pretty well.

    Also, for most apps the thickness of the line is choosable through the app itself to give you a wide range of lines, same goes for colors and paper background.

    Hope that helps.

    Cheers,

    Mina

  4. #4
    iPad stylus

    Member Since
    Apr 07, 2010
    Location
    Spanaway, WA.
    Posts
    132
    Specs:
    27"iMac OS X 10.7.5 Core i5
    Ask your FedEx Express driver if you can "borrow" his stylus. not at all elegant but should do the job.

  5. #5
    iPad stylus
    BrianLachoreVPI's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,733
    Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by Leiyah View Post
    I want to get a stylus for note-taking on the iPad but I have found/heard mixed reviews. I plan to use it for apps such as iAnnotate, Penultimate, etc.

    What stylus do you have or recommend? Do they work well? Does it create a problem if other parts of your hand touch the screen while writing? Do they feel similar to a pen? Does it write like a fine tip or a fat marker?

    All advice is appreciated. TIA!
    i picked up the pogo - which is regarded (at least from I had read) as one of the better ones available. It works just fine - but to me, IMO, the experience still isn't such that I can replace a regular notebook in a meeting. I do wonder if the faster processor in the iPad 2 might improve handwriting performance - as I find if I try to right normally -it lags, won't keep up...etc. At any rate - the pogo stylus is just fine - but I have yet to find a note taking application (and I have tried many) that performs sufficiently to allow me to integrate the iPad into my everyday productivity workflow. But - I expect that day will be here eventually.

  6. #6
    iPad stylus
    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,765
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by Leiyah View Post
    I want to get a stylus for note-taking on the iPad but I have found/heard mixed reviews. I plan to use it for apps such as iAnnotate, Penultimate, etc.

    What stylus do you have or recommend? Do they work well? Does it create a problem if other parts of your hand touch the screen while writing? Do they feel similar to a pen? Does it write like a fine tip or a fat marker?

    All advice is appreciated. TIA!
    FWIW a carrot will work as a stylus (I got bored one day at lunch and ran some food related experiments) and you can always use it as an after-note snack when you're done.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  7. #7
    iPad stylus
    Leiyah's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 23, 2011
    Location
    Buckeye-land
    Posts
    105
    Specs:
    iPod Classic 80G, iPod Touch 4th Gen 64G, iPhone 4s 64G, iPad 2 16G, MacBook Pro 13" 2.8Ghz 8G 750HD
    Thanks for the advice!

  8. #8
    iPad stylus
    iWhat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 11, 2004
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Posts
    5,736
    Specs:
    Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
    I use a iPad stylus that I purchased at Best Buy by Targus. Seems very similar to the linked one, so I'm sure it's fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
    i picked up the pogo - which is regarded (at least from I had read) as one of the better ones available. It works just fine - but to me, IMO, the experience still isn't such that I can replace a regular notebook in a meeting. I do wonder if the faster processor in the iPad 2 might improve handwriting performance - as I find if I try to right normally -it lags, won't keep up...etc. At any rate - the pogo stylus is just fine - but I have yet to find a note taking application (and I have tried many) that performs sufficiently to allow me to integrate the iPad into my everyday productivity workflow. But - I expect that day will be here eventually.
    What app do you use for taking notes that you notice lag? I use Notes Plus, and even doing fast scribbles it seems to keep up just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
    FWIW a carrot will work as a stylus (I got bored one day at lunch and ran some food related experiments) and you can always use it as an after-note snack when you're done.
    Do you know any good reviews on carrots?

  9. #9
    iPad stylus
    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,765
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by iWhat View Post
    Do you know any good reviews on carrots?
    I'll check GreenGiant.com and see if I can find some.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  10. #10
    iPad stylus
    BrianLachoreVPI's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 24, 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,733
    Specs:
    March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by iWhat View Post

    What app do you use for taking notes that you notice lag? I use Notes Plus, and even doing fast scribbles it seems to keep up just fine.

    Do you know any good reviews on carrots?
    I'll have to get back to you on this. I can give you a listing of the note apps I've tried - but I don't have my stylus with me (am up in Boston this week) and would want to do a double check with that to make sure I described the symptom accurately. I haven't tried carrots yet.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. iPad stylus question
    By Annie Mc in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 06:50 AM
  2. Best iPad Stylus
    By aestheticxxlove in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 02:40 AM
  3. iPad stylus
    By mknabster in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 09:24 AM
  4. Will the Nintendo DS stylus work on the ipad?
    By the8thark in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 03:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •