Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    First Hardware Refresh

    Member Since
    Apr 24, 2007
    Posts
    2
    First Hardware Refresh
    Hi

    I realise that the ipad has only been released for a short time.....but...

    So...I tried an ipad for the first time today and it's pretty cool...however reading the various forums and reviews around there are clearly some major shortfalls at the moment...so I cant decide whether to get one now or wait! Ahhhh....

    My question was when would everyone guess at the first hardware refresh of the ipad?

  2. #2
    First Hardware Refresh

    Member Since
    Oct 22, 2007
    Location
    Tampa , FL
    Posts
    1,957
    Specs:
    15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
    Just buy it, If you wait now you will always be waiting. If history has taught us anything about Apple don't expect too much of difference between the 1st generation iPad and the 2nd.

  3. #3
    First Hardware Refresh
    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,212
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    I'm just sort of curious, if it has major shortfalls for you, why are even considering buying one? I wouldn't be purchasing something that wouldn't do the major things I wanted it for.

    You can either listen to the naysayers that didn't get the device from Apple that they wanted - which basically was a netbook to blow away all the Winblows netbooks...

    Or you can look to see what you need (or would just like to have) and find a device to fulfill that need for you.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  4. #4
    First Hardware Refresh

    Member Since
    Apr 14, 2010
    Posts
    39
    My only major complaint with the iPad is actually the screen - i wish they would have put a more pixel-dense screen in it, like the new iPhone.

    Other than that, the performance is blazing fast, which is what's most important to me, and Im pretty happy with it overall.

    I do of course have other minor complaints with it, but they are all software based and can be fixed with software updates. I also accept that the device wasn't going to be flawless, as it is the very first release.

    Anyway, if you like it and think you will get use and enjoyment out of it, buy it. Don't play the waiting game with technology. Tech is just like women - there is ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS something better, faster and sexier just around the corner.

  5. #5
    First Hardware Refresh
    Kash's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 03, 2006
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    9,385
    Specs:
    Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
    You have complaints about the screen? I think the screen was the biggest selling factor for me! It's absolutely gorgeous! And what do you need more pixels for? Everything looks great on the iPad's screen

    June 2007
    July 2009

  6. #6
    First Hardware Refresh

    Member Since
    Apr 14, 2010
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash View Post
    You have complaints about the screen? I think the screen was the biggest selling factor for me! It's absolutely gorgeous! And what do you need more pixels for? Everything looks great on the iPad's screen
    It looks good for sure, but i just feel like text ofteseems a little too fuzzy. I don't see why they couldn't have put an even nicer screen in it.

    Anyhow, that's really my only complaint and not a big one at that.

  7. #7
    First Hardware Refresh
    MinaMACMan's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 16, 2007
    Location
    Redwood City, CA / Stanford, CA
    Posts
    1,792
    Specs:
    MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
    I have to agree with Kash, this screen is awesome.

    But in the same time I see your point. But you have to keep in mind that apple chose this screen to help cut costs. The new Retina Display is gonna probably make it to iPad 2.0 but by then the cost will be less.

    I have to say though for my current use, this screen is right on the money.

    MMM

  8. #8
    First Hardware Refresh

    Member Since
    Sep 07, 2008
    Location
    Shakopee, MN
    Posts
    311
    Specs:
    iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
    Quote Originally Posted by Drjones View Post
    I don't see why they couldn't have put an even nicer screen in it.
    When you say "nicer" here, I'm assuming you mean a higher density screen.

    With all products such as this, there are certain engineering and costs decisions that have to be made. Apple had very aggressive pricing goals with the iPad. Putting a screen with the same pixel density as the iPhone 4 would likely have pushed the cost of the device above the company's target, making it far too expensive for many people. A higher resolution screen would also require more horsepower, which the A4 chip may not have yet. (That's an assumption on my part and not necessarily a fact.) It could also be a drain on battery life, pushing the total number of hours well below the current 10. All this and more could have contributed to the screen that was used.

    As it stands, I will side with those who say the screen is one of its strongest features. Most desktop and laptop computers don't boast a display as nice as this. That is definitely saying something.

  9. #9
    First Hardware Refresh
    Lifeisabeach's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 30, 2007
    Location
    The Republic of Neptune
    Posts
    7,638
    Didn't Jobs say it is essentially the same screen as the iPhone 4? Yes… the pixel density isn't "quite" as high, but higher pixel density on a screen that size would mean a higher native resolution, which would require more processing power to render those graphics, which would mean apps would get larger in size, which would mean a bigger hit on the battery… etc etc. It's all a trade-off and you have to draw the line somewhere.

    I'm also wondering if you think the text is fuzzy because you are looking at iPhone apps magnified to 2x.

    Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

  10. #10
    First Hardware Refresh
    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,212
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    ...

    I'm also wondering if you think the text is fuzzy because you are looking at iPhone apps magnified to 2x.
    Yep, me too... Or you're maybe hitting the 40ish age range and it's time to start looking for glasses. I'm pretty picky about fuzzy text and it's one of the reasons I use Windows for my HTPC instead of OS X.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  11. #11
    First Hardware Refresh

    Member Since
    Feb 14, 2010
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
    I'm just sort of curious, if it has major shortfalls for you, why are even considering buying one? I wouldn't be purchasing something that wouldn't do the major things I wanted it for.

    You can either listen to the naysayers that didn't get the device from Apple that they wanted - which basically was a netbook to blow away all the Winblows netbooks...

    Or you can look to see what you need (or would just like to have) and find a device to fulfill that need for you.
    aha nice Bob

  12. #12
    First Hardware Refresh

    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2007
    Location
    *Brisvegas*
    Posts
    5,658
    Specs:
    17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    Didn't Jobs say it is essentially the same screen as the iPhone 4? Yes… the pixel density isn't "quite" as high, but higher pixel density on a screen that size would mean a higher native resolution, which would require more processing power to render those graphics, which would mean apps would get larger in size, which would mean a bigger hit on the battery… etc etc. It's all a trade-off and you have to draw the line somewhere.

    I'm also wondering if you think the text is fuzzy because you are looking at iPhone apps magnified to 2x.
    Same screen as the iphone 4 agreed. But there is a difference. A 100x100 pixel box will be much smaller on the iphone then on the ipad when pixel density comes into play. And small things are harder to see and use. If things get any smaller on the screen you'll need a stylus to use it. As the average finger will be too fat.

  13. #13
    First Hardware Refresh
    chas_m's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    18,971
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Djsban View Post
    My question was when would everyone guess at the first hardware refresh of the ipad?
    My guess would be a MINOR refresh in the summer of 2011, followed by something more substantive in summer 2012, followed by a really major change in 2013.

    This would follow the pattern of the iPhone -- the 3G was really just a 2G with an extra radio and a compass. The first real substantial speed bump was two years after the 2G, and the first real hardware overhaul will be Monday, about three years after initial introduction.

  14. #14
    First Hardware Refresh

    Member Since
    Apr 14, 2010
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    Didn't Jobs say it is essentially the same screen as the iPhone 4? Yes… the pixel density isn't "quite" as high, but higher pixel density on a screen that size would mean a higher native resolution, which would require more processing power to render those graphics, which would mean apps would get larger in size, which would mean a bigger hit on the battery… etc etc. It's all a trade-off and you have to draw the line somewhere.

    I'm also wondering if you think the text is fuzzy because you are looking at iPhone apps magnified to 2x.

    1) The screen uses the same IPS technology, but clearly the pixel density is much higher on the iPhone 4. So no, they definitely aren't exactly the same.

    2) No, of course I'm not referring to how iPhone apps look when blown up 2x on the iPad.

    3) Good call on the resolution/graphics/processor equalling probably less battery. But it isn't possible to keep a display at 1024x768 (the iPad's resolution) and just have more pixels? I know that I've seen some laptops - Sony is a great example - that have gorgeous, very pixel-dense displays and normal resolutions.



    Let me also be clear that I'm not unhappy with the iPad's display and it does look very good - but when the iPhone 4 was announced with its high pixel density, I realized that I'm probably going to be a little less impressed with my iPad's display.

  15. #15
    First Hardware Refresh

    Member Since
    Apr 14, 2010
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Fo View Post
    When you say "nicer" here, I'm assuming you mean a higher density screen.

    With all products such as this, there are certain engineering and costs decisions that have to be made. Apple had very aggressive pricing goals with the iPad. Putting a screen with the same pixel density as the iPhone 4 would likely have pushed the cost of the device above the company's target, making it far too expensive for many people. A higher resolution screen would also require more horsepower, which the A4 chip may not have yet. (That's an assumption on my part and not necessarily a fact.) It could also be a drain on battery life, pushing the total number of hours well below the current 10. All this and more could have contributed to the screen that was used.

    As it stands, I will side with those who say the screen is one of its strongest features. Most desktop and laptop computers don't boast a display as nice as this. That is definitely saying something.

    I completely understand what you're saying and I agree - but to an extent.

    I know that phone manufacturers like Apple don't want to have a million different versions of the same device, but for years now I've been unable to comprehend why manufacturers don't create truly premium versions of their devices.

    Especially for Apple, where its products are premium-priced already and I'm sure a significant portion of its devoted customer base is affluent, they could probably do quite well by offering a premium iPad with a very pixel dense display and even more RAM - not storage, but system RAM.

    Blackberry is the worst at this, as most of their devices (at least back when I was using them two years ago) had only 64mb of RAM and this truly crippled the devices.

    With how dirt cheap memory has become, it is unacceptable that RIM & other mobile phone companies don't put more in the phones - again, even if it means creating a "premium" device that gets offered alongside the "mainstream" device.

    I realize adding more memory to the iPad is a slightly different feat as RAM is incorporated in the A4 processor, but still....I think they can and should do it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-30-2014, 01:06 AM
  2. iMac Refresh?
    By RavingMac in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2011, 08:51 PM
  3. Refresh
    By Nicoya in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 08:37 PM
  4. Intel Penryn and the next Apple hardware refresh
    By TheThirdMan in forum Apple Rumors and Reports
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2007, 08:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •