Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53
  1. #1
    On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!!
    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,379
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!!
    Well this is it.

    Have downloaded Xcode4 have signed up as a developer, and will take the $99 paid plunge on my next Pension Payment.
    I want to make a full on go with this and will over the next ...... months read, test, play with everything Xcode. Xcode seems to be a great piece of kit to use to do your own IOS development when you have no coding ability.
    I have a idea and it hit me when i was cooking tonight and needed to know something, and i looked online. Then thought, hang on, someone needs to make a App to help people like me so its at there finger tips. My misses then said well ur a  geek, and know what your doing on the Mac so if anyone could i could. So there it is, I'm going to become a full blown developer and produce my own App, and yes it is going to be paid bc I'm in this for the $

    Off to the newsagent tomorrow to score a big drawing pad to make as my story board.
    If anyone out there knows of some good links that they know of that have helped them on the way, please feel free to share them here with me.

    I don't know a line of code, and going to play with the "Hello World" one Xcode has to get into it and see ow it all works. Wish me well and ill remember my friends when i make my first million. Couldn't be took hard with 6 000 000 000 000 people in the world

    Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  2. #2
    On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!!
    RavingMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 07, 2008
    Location
    In Denial
    Posts
    7,765
    Specs:
    4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G
    Good luck, Brent . . . I look forward to being your first customer.
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

  3. #3
    On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!!
    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,379
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Thnks mate. You will be the first to know.
    I was just sitting back then doing story =boards in my head, and for this particular App there is quite a lot of research involved from my end, considering how many countries there are in the world and the diversity of what i am thinking of doing.
    Updated countries to come in next update will be a ongoing thing lol

    Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  4. #4
    On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!!
    scathe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 12, 2009
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    1,096
    Specs:
    2,4Ghz 15" unibody
    If you ever have specific questions, always feel free to ask here .. and, of course, good luck :-)

    Start simple be patient with coding and give it time :-) Forget about other countries for now :-P

  5. #5
    On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!!
    Slydude's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 15, 2009
    Location
    North Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    8,558
    Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.10.2, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Good luck. Just what I need something else to spend hard earned cash on. lol
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

  6. #6
    On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!!
    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,379
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Thanks all.

    @Slydude, mate at .99c not really hard earned cash lol

    @scathe. Thanks mate will do post questions to help me along. Without giving too much away it will be to do with cooking, and ill start with my home country, America (bc of its Population size) and my fav food country Thailand. Then again there will be a lot of Genericism going on too lol

    Excited

    Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  7. #7
    On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!!
    scathe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 12, 2009
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    1,096
    Specs:
    2,4Ghz 15" unibody
    But what if you decide to go past the terrible dollar margin? :-D
    Back to your initial post, don't rush spending the $100 App Store fee before you really need it. This will be a long road and hopefully exciting for you throughout the journey as it is now :-)

  8. #8
    On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!!
    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,379
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Thanks ^^^^^ for that suggestion. I wa going to dive in, but will ooh at the developers lounge and have a look around there at the resources on offer then before i knock off $100 big ones, as i really could be 6months plus before i need anything like that.
    To b honest, it was the thought of getting IOS6 early that was pushing me that way lol

    Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  9. #9
    On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!!
    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,398
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    Without giving too much away it will be to do with cooking, and ill start with my home country, America (bc of its Population size) and my fav food country Thailand.
    Excuse me, what about the friendly chaps in the north?

    Apple's iOS developer page would be a decent place to start (here). Specifically, you might want to look at this page.

    Warning, this next part is my opinion and not based in fact. If you've never coded in your life, Objective-C may make you want to cry. It's ugly (as are all C languages and Perl), can be tricky and requires a decent understanding of the fundamentals of programming. The upside to this is the power you get. As such, you might want to learn the basics in a more friendly language just so you can get the basics down. For example, although if statements in Python (the best language ever) are different than they are in Objective-C, if statements are universal in that they exist in every language. Thus, you can use Python to learn what an if statement is and then when you go to learn the Objective-C syntax, not everything seem so foreign.

    Here's an example of what I'm talking about. Let's say that you wanted to print the numbers 0 to 100 in a console window. Here's the Objective-C code to do it:
    Code:
    #import <Foundation/Foundation.h>
    
    int main(int argc, const char * argv[])
    {
    	@autoreleasepool {
    
    		for (int i = 0; i <= 100; i++)
    		{
    			int myCounter = 0;
    			myCounter += i;
    			NSLog (@"counter = %i", myCounter);
    		}
    	}
    	return 0;
    }
    And here's Python:
    Code:
    x = 0
    while (x <= 100):
         print(x)
         x += 1
    In my eyes, the Python code is much more readable and may be better suited to learning the concepts before you jump into Objective-C. This is not to say that Objective-C is bad (it wouldn't be used by Apple as their primary language it if was) but rather to suggest that it might be a bit intimidating as a first language.

    As an aside, you don't have to pay the $99 to develop apps - you can do that for free. I suggest that you fool around with Xcode and iOS development first so that you can save yourself the $99 if you find that it's not for you.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  10. #10
    On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!!
    scathe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 12, 2009
    Location
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Posts
    1,096
    Specs:
    2,4Ghz 15" unibody
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Excuse me, what about the friendly chaps in the north?
    You mean polar bears? It's just wilderness between the US border and the North Pole :-D
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    It's ugly.
    Nooo :-D I love the way it takes something from C and something from Smalltalk :-D But then I haven't done much Obj-C coding ...

  11. #11
    On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!!
    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,379
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Excuse me, what about the friendly chaps in the north?
    Thats right, what was it Poutine ??

    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Apple's iOS developer page would be a decent place to start (here). Specifically, you might want to look at this page.

    Warning, this next part is my opinion and not based in fact. If you've never coded in your life, Objective-C may make you want to cry. It's ugly (as are all C languages and Perl), can be tricky and requires a decent understanding of the fundamentals of programming. The upside to this is the power you get. As such, you might want to learn the basics in a more friendly language just so you can get the basics down. For example, although if statements in Python (the best language ever) are different than they are in Objective-C, if statements are universal in that they exist in every language. Thus, you can use Python to learn what an if statement is and then when you go to learn the Obj-C syntax, not everything seem so foreign.

    As an aside, you don't have to pay the $99 to develop apps - you can do that for free. I suggest that you fool around with Xcode and iOs development first so that you can save yourself the $99 if you find that it's not for you.
    I appreciate ALL comments and suggestions and will take it all on board. From what i know ATM is Xcode4 does a lot of the hard work for you, with a little knowledge, and for this reason why, i will do there 'Hello World" trial play around to get a feel for it. I have already got those pages Bookmarked myself already and as i said "Hello World" will be my first dive into it.
    I have a load of research to do yet on what i want and the content i need to have in it, as well as how i want it to work, play nice for people, and extras, which will be a added bonus for those that buy it.

    WHatch this space, BUT don't expect to see anything within 6 months lol
    It will take time and i have a lot of that on my hands now.

    Thanks Van

    Cheers
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  12. #12
    On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!!
    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,398
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    I appreciate ALL comments and suggestions and will take it all on board. From what i know ATM is Xcode4 does a lot of the hard work for you, with a little knowledge, and for this reason why, i will do there 'Hello World" trial play around to get a feel for it.
    You may be overestimating Xcode's power here. It certainly helps with a lot of the work but you still have to do quite a bit yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by scathe View Post
    You mean polar bears? It's just wilderness between the US border and the North Pole :-D
    Oh absolutely. It's kind of like that big gap between Germany and Slovakia.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  13. #13
    On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!!
    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,379
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Quote Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
    Code:
    #import <Foundation/Foundation.h>
    
    int main(int argc, const char * argv[])
    {
    	@autoreleasepool {
    
    		for (int i = 0; i <= 100; i++)
    		{
    			int myCounter = 0;
    			myCounter += i;
    			NSLog (@"counter = %i", myCounter);
    		}
    	}
    	return 0;
    }
    And here's Python:
    Code:
    x = 0
    while (x <= 100):
         print(x)
         x += 1
    .

    I do see what you mean, and no I'm not over thinking what Xcode is capable off. As i said there is a long way to go but I'm keen to get into it. ****
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  14. #14
    On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!!

    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2009
    Posts
    2,109
    Specs:
    Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
    If you want to do iOS development, then just focus on Objective C for now, although Python (and various other languages) a good to know/learn at some point (and may be easier to a degree); objective C is what you'll need and delaying working on learning it will just make you take that much longer until you can really develop apps (especially when you have to absorb how memory is handled in Obj-C which is somewhat different from other languages regardless of whether or not you use ARC).

    Good luck with it. With a goal in mind and the dedication to reach it, you should be able to reach your goal!

    Personally I really enjoy iOS development and Obj-C - it's always fun to be able to create something and see it in action.

    One tip though - I know people are suggesting to put off the $99 developer account (which is understandable, since $100 for most of us is not cheap) - don't wait until just before you're ready to submit, the developer account is needed to do debugging on a device which you'll need to do prior to submission since things work in the simulator that won't work on an actual device (what comes with Xcode 4 is a simulator, not an emulator )
    My Macs: Late 2013 rMBP w/ 750m; Mac mini G4, 1.25 GHz, 512m ram (server); Late 2011 11" MBA, 1.8GHz i7, 4Gig Ram, 256Gig SSD, HD3000; Powerbook 12" G4 1.33GHz running Debian as a server; Apple TV (1080p version)

  15. #15
    On my way to becoming a Developer for IOS !!!!
    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,398
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
    If you want to do iOS development, then just focus on Objective C for now, although Python (and various other languages) a good to know/learn at some point (and may be easier to a degree); objective C is what you'll need and delaying working on learning it will just make you take that much longer until you can really develop apps (especially when you have to absorb how memory is handled in Obj-C which is somewhat different from other languages regardless of whether or not you use ARC).
    I fully agree. However, for someone brand new to programming, it might not hurt to use a simpler language to learn the basics (variables, OOP, control statements, etc.) while learning the corresponding Obj-C ones. As I said earlier though, my dislike of C like syntax clouds my judgment. For all I know, TM will love Obj-C syntax.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
    Good luck with it. With a goal in mind and the dedication to reach it, you should be able to reach your goal!
    Absolutely! Programming can be fun, frustrating, rewarding and disheartening all at the same time. I can't tell you the number of times I've gotten stuck with an error only to find out that I forgot a single character somewhere which leads me to smack my head and feel relieved. It will take perseverance some days but the end product will be worth it if it's done well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nethfel View Post
    One tip though - I know people are suggesting to put off the $99 developer account (which is understandable, since $100 for most of us is not cheap) - don't wait until just before you're ready to submit, the developer account is needed to do debugging on a device which you'll need to do prior to submission since things work in the simulator that won't work on an actual device (what comes with Xcode 4 is a simulator, not an emulator )
    Good point. As someone who doesn't do iOS development, I can only talk from a general perspective which would explain why I skipped over this. However, I still think you should wait until you determine that this is indeed what you want to do.

    As an alternative, have you considered doing this as a web application? You can do some mighty fine things with web tools, you'd get cross platform support and web apps perform reasonably well (not native application well but respectably so). Plus, it's free and you don't have to get Apple's approval.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What should an aspiring iOS app developer buy?
    By MacroMan in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 12:06 PM
  2. ios developer software
    By 242615 in forum iOS Development
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 09:41 AM
  3. Starting as an iOS Developer
    By iNerd in forum iOS Development
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-20-2011, 02:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •