Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Is IOS 7.1 a real improvement?

    Member Since
    Sep 22, 2010
    Location
    All over the world
    Posts
    8
    Specs:
    MBP 15" Late 2008 6 GB Ram 500GB HD LION; Iphone-4 (Verizon) 32GB; Ipod 16GB
    Is IOS 7.1 a real improvement?
    Like so many who updated their IOS from 6 to 7 on their I phone 4, I noticed a significant deterioration of response time on the phone. Before I go to 7.1 can anyone tel me if this is going to improve my situation or make it worse?
    Once bitten, twice shy. I just don't look at "updates" as being equal to improvements anymore.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Is IOS 7.1 a real improvement?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,466
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    If you're already running iOS 7 on your iPhone 4...updating to iOS 7.1 should not cause any issues.

    I would suggest doing a bit of research regarding the changes made from 7.0 to 7.1 to see what they are. Chances are it's just a bunch of compatibility, performance, and bug tweaks. But sometimes there are some minor new features as well.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  3. #3
    Is IOS 7.1 a real improvement?
    JohnCL's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 29, 2009
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    1,194
    Specs:
    -->
    I've read in various places on the web that 7.1 on the 4 has improved things. Although I have no real way to test myself on an older device, so YMMV.
    12" rMB 256gb | Mac Pro 3,1 2x 2.8GHz | Dual 2.0GHz PowerMac G5 | 24" ACD | 64GB Verizon iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 64GB LTE | iPad mini 2 16GB | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3 | Watch Sport 42mm Space Gray

  4. #4
    Is IOS 7.1 a real improvement?
    vansmith's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 19, 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    19,395
    Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    The review I read said effectively this: Apple did a commendable job trying to trim down iOS 7.1 for the iPhone 4 but Apple can't get around the very real hardware limitations of the phone. The short version: it's better but it's still three year old hardware.
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

  5. #5
    Is IOS 7.1 a real improvement?
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,466
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Some folks don't realize that being able to upgrade to a newer iOS on their device (with some slower performance)...is MUCH better than not being able to upgrade at all.

    Just ask folks with iPad 1's stuck with iOS 5!

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  6. #6
    Is IOS 7.1 a real improvement?

    Member Since
    Jul 14, 2010
    Posts
    20
    I have an IPhone 5c.
    I read that many people were reporting shorter battery life but battery life has been better for me since 7.1.

    Probably depends on the apps you are running.

    pvp

  7. #7
    Is IOS 7.1 a real improvement?
    chscag's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 23, 2008
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    45,216
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    Well, iPhones in general are not great when it comes to battery life (compared to a dumb phone's battery life) but I generally can get four days or more on one charge. I have a 5c but keep BT off. Could probably do better by turning off cellular when I'm at home on my own network.

  8. #8
    Is IOS 7.1 a real improvement?
    chas_m's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 22, 2010
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    18,941
    Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    I have an iPhone 4 and installed 7.1 on it. Have not noticed any change in battery life (which is good) just in speed (better than it was under 7.0, but that's just the animations talking). I don't have any regrets about putting iOS 7 on that phone -- the slide-up control panel ALONE was worth the upgrade, plus being able to put all my games in one folder.

    The iPhone 4 isn't my main phone anymore, so I'm thinking of selling it (I have a 5s now). It's unlocked, which makes it more valuable here in Canuckistan.

  9. #9
    Is IOS 7.1 a real improvement?

    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2008
    Posts
    12
    Specs:
    Early-08 15" MBP 2.4Ghz, 6GB RAM, 240GB SSD, OS X 10.6.8
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Some folks don't realize that being able to upgrade to a newer iOS on their device (with some slower performance)...is MUCH better than not being able to upgrade at all.

    Just ask folks with iPad 1's stuck with iOS 5!

    - Nick
    My old iPhone 3GS is on iOS 5. I would rather stay in iOS 4 but I was forced to upgrade when I unlocked it (officially through AT&T). My iPad2 is also on iOS 5. I am not going to upgrade my iPhone 5 to iOS 7. There is nothing valuable to me in the iOS releases starting iOS 5. I really doubt I would buy another iOS device if Apple goes the same way.

    BTW: My home and work laptops are both running Snow Leopard. Tried really hard to adopt Mountain Lion and Mavericks and had to rollback both times.

  10. #10
    Is IOS 7.1 a real improvement?

    Member Since
    Jan 05, 2013
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    174
    Specs:
    15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1
    I have a 5s and it runs great. The fingerprint is improved, and it runs faster on my phone.

    My sister has a 4. I read in the about this update that it would increase speed for the 4 at least I think that's what it said.

  11. #11
    Is IOS 7.1 a real improvement?

    Member Since
    Jan 05, 2013
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    174
    Specs:
    15" Core i7 2.3ghz retina-MacBook OS 10.9.1
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    I have an iPhone 4 and installed 7.1 on it. Have not noticed any change in battery life (which is good) just in speed (better than it was under 7.0, but that's just the animations talking). I don't have any regrets about putting iOS 7 on that phone -- the slide-up control panel ALONE was worth the upgrade, plus being able to put all my games in one folder.

    The iPhone 4 isn't my main phone anymore, so I'm thinking of selling it (I have a 5s now). It's unlocked, which makes it more valuable here in Canuckistan.
    Canuckistan that made me laugh...

  12. #12
    Is IOS 7.1 a real improvement?
    osxx's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 19, 2008
    Location
    houston texas
    Posts
    4,695
    Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    Quote Originally Posted by aan View Post
    My old iPhone 3GS is on iOS 5. I would rather stay in iOS 4 but I was forced to upgrade when I unlocked it (officially through AT&T). My iPad2 is also on iOS 5. I am not going to upgrade my iPhone 5 to iOS 7. There is nothing valuable to me in the iOS releases starting iOS 5. I really doubt I would buy another iOS device if Apple goes the same way.

    BTW: My home and work laptops are both running Snow Leopard. Tried really hard to adopt Mountain Lion and Mavericks and had to rollback both times.
    A lot of people don't want to upgrade until they want or need a new application that will only run on the new OS/iOS.
    Another thing that happens to older systems at some point the company quits patching them.

  13. #13
    Is IOS 7.1 a real improvement?

    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2008
    Posts
    12
    Specs:
    Early-08 15" MBP 2.4Ghz, 6GB RAM, 240GB SSD, OS X 10.6.8
    Quote Originally Posted by osxx View Post
    A lot of people don't want to upgrade until they want or need a new application that will only run on the new OS/iOS.
    True. But the pain of the OS upgrade could overweight the benefits of the new app.
    Especially when you cannot return back to the old OS.


    Quote Originally Posted by osxx View Post
    Another thing that happens to older systems at some point the company quits patching them.
    I don't think anybody still writes viruses for Win 2000 / IE6.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-06-2012, 04:44 PM
  2. Russian spies and how this is getting real Bond real fast
    By DarkestRitual in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2010, 02:07 PM
  3. How much of an improvement is Santa Rosa?
    By am17 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-01-2007, 03:32 AM
  4. My page Needs improvement. Help!
    By iNAP in forum Web Design and Hosting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2005, 04:00 PM
  5. My page Needs improvement. Help!
    By iNAP in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2005, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •