Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    how can i browse my local network?

    Member Since
    Sep 04, 2006
    Posts
    19
    how can i browse my local network?
    Im in residence in college, and all the windows users can connect to the local residence network by going to "my network" Then going to network "people and places" it them lets them browse through people's folders on the network without inputting an ip address.......they can download shared files on the local residence network.

    I am connected on the internet through the same network in residence.

    How can i join and browse the local local residence network i am connected to? I want to be able to view the same folders they see without having to put in ip address's. Is there a network people and places browse function on the mac? I'm on 10.4.

  2. #2
    how can i browse my local network?

    Member Since
    Sep 04, 2006
    Posts
    19
    Note: I am already connected to the internet on the network. Airport is turned off. I just want to be able to browse folders of other users so i can download from the local shared residence network.

  3. #3
    MatZeRO
    Guest
    Try going to "System Preferences" and then "Sharing" and under the "services" tab enable Windows Sharing. You should then be able to click "GO" in the finder and click "Network" and browse a Windows or Mac network and see shared files.

    Cheers
    Mat

  4. #4
    how can i browse my local network?
    whiterabbit.obj's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 04, 2011
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by MatZeRO View Post
    Try going to "System Preferences" and then "Sharing" and under the "services" tab enable Windows Sharing. You should then be able to click "GO" in the finder and click "Network" and browse a Windows or Mac network and see shared files.

    Cheers
    Mat
    I'm on 10.6.6, 'Windows Sharing' isn't one of the options in 'Sharing'

  5. #5
    how can i browse my local network?
    MontyMo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 01, 2011
    Posts
    207
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 1TB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit.obj View Post
    I'm on 10.6.6, 'Windows Sharing' isn't one of the options in 'Sharing'
    Have you found a solution to this? Here is what my "Sharing" screen looks like

    15" MacBook Pro

  6. #6
    how can i browse my local network?
    MontyMo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 01, 2011
    Posts
    207
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 1TB SSD
    Duh...
    I found the GO Menu. IT is at the TOP of the screen.
    What I noob I am

    I have gotten my WIndows computers to browse my Mac, but I cannot see the Windows computer My Windows computers can see each other and share files. I believe I have the sharing set up correctly on the Windows computer.
    ???

    THanks
    Monty
    15" MacBook Pro

  7. #7
    how can i browse my local network?
    whiterabbit.obj's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 04, 2011
    Posts
    6
    I'm not sure the Mac is meant to browse the windows workgroup like windows computers do. I setup Airport with the advanced button and set my wireless router up as a WINS server, and entered my windows workgroup name on that page.

    I can now connect to servers

    smb://computer1 or smb://computer2

    but i can't browse like I can with windows

    all seems a bit clunky really ??

  8. #8
    how can i browse my local network?
    MontyMo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 01, 2011
    Posts
    207
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 1TB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit.obj View Post
    I'm not sure the Mac is meant to browse the windows workgroup like windows computers do. I setup Airport with the advanced button and set my wireless router up as a WINS server, and entered my windows workgroup name on that page.

    I can now connect to servers

    smb://computer1 or smb://computer2

    but i can't browse like I can with windows

    all seems a bit clunky really ??
    I've finally got it too. But, I have to disagree. Using the finder I can browse without an issue. The Finder treats the network drive as if it was local. I like that I can save "Favorite Servers"

    15" MacBook Pro

  9. #9
    how can i browse my local network?
    whiterabbit.obj's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 04, 2011
    Posts
    6
    I can type in smb:// and add a pc name, but in 'finder' re: my home network I don't get presented with a visual browser where I can select the pc's. I have to know the WINS /netBIOS names of the individual PC's and type them in. I'd been hoping the wireless belkin router would offer the names to the mac for me to select.

  10. #10
    how can i browse my local network?
    MontyMo's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 01, 2011
    Posts
    207
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.3GHz 16GB RAM 1TB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by whiterabbit.obj View Post
    I can type in smb:// and add a pc name, but in 'finder' re: my home network I don't get presented with a visual browser where I can select the pc's. I have to know the WINS /netBIOS names of the individual PC's and type them in. I'd been hoping the wireless belkin router would offer the names to the mac for me to select.
    Right. Windows is much better in this aspect. Click on the network icon and app of the computer on the network are displayed
    15" MacBook Pro

  11. #11
    how can i browse my local network?

    Member Since
    Jan 17, 2012
    Posts
    1
    How would you do this on mac 10.6 snow leopard

  12. #12
    how can i browse my local network?

    Member Since
    Mar 13, 2011
    Posts
    224
    Specs:
    2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
    Look in the app store for Pingo. It will do what you want and its free. A little app that resides up top and shows devices by network service. You can also look for BonjouBrowser (free) which also will do the same

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. network vs local logins
    By Windows Lover in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2013, 06:49 AM
  2. setting up a local network
    By Raclare in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2012, 01:41 PM
  3. iMac can't browse MacBook Pro on the network
    By LarryMcJ in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 01:10 AM
  4. Something started a local network, please help
    By macmomma in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 09:02 AM
  5. How to access a local PC on the network
    By immaclover in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-24-2008, 02:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •