Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: AirPort

  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jul 04, 2006
    Posts
    40
    AirPort
    the only thing i dont like about the MacBook is that i cant use my wireless Verizon internet because it has no input. but i was told the MacBooks come with AirPort. someone told me with that you can use internet anywhere. is this true? and does anyone have more info on this AirPort?

  2. #2


    Member Since
    Jul 04, 2006
    Posts
    40
    ??

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jul 04, 2006
    Posts
    40
    ???

  4. #4
    menace3054
    Guest
    you can use it anywhere that there is a hotspot. in order to use the verizon card you need a pcima (sp?) slot, i think only the macbook pro has one. you cannot access internet without a hotspot using the airport though

  5. #5

    avcabob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 21, 2004
    Posts
    199
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
    The MacBook Pros don't have a pcmcia slot, they have an express card 34 slot which is supposed to be faster and better and whatnot but there's not really anything out for it yet.

    Airport is just Apple's fancy name for wireless networking so as menace said you'll need a hotspot to use it for internet.

    However, you could use bluetooth and use a bluetooth enabled cell phone to connect to the internet. That's what I do with my MacBook Pro. I would say call Varizion so see what cell phones and plans are supported.

  6. #6


    Member Since
    Jul 04, 2006
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by avcabob
    The MacBook Pros don't have a pcmcia slot, they have an express card 34 slot which is supposed to be faster and better and whatnot but there's not really anything out for it yet.

    Airport is just Apple's fancy name for wireless networking so as menace said you'll need a hotspot to use it for internet.

    However, you could use bluetooth and use a bluetooth enabled cell phone to connect to the internet. That's what I do with my MacBook Pro. I would say call Varizion so see what cell phones and plans are supported.
    are you talking about tethering? i got the impression that AirPort picks up more hotspots than windows laptops? or is it the same range?

  7. #7

    avcabob's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 21, 2004
    Posts
    199
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz Core Duo 1GB Ram 80GB
    I beleve the range of a wireless card has more to do with the antenna used. My old powerbook didn't have the greatest range, but i've dropped it a few times. My point is airport is just like any other 802.11g card out there. Just a prettier name.

  8. #8


    Member Since
    Jul 04, 2006
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by avcabob
    I beleve the range of a wireless card has more to do with the antenna used. My old powerbook didn't have the greatest range, but i've dropped it a few times. My point is airport is just like any other 802.11g card out there. Just a prettier name.
    wow. i might have to cancel my order. i use my laptop away from home a lot for my job. is there any service that supports wireless internet for MacBooks?

  9. #9

    baggss's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 10, 2004
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    10,311
    Specs:
    27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 10.10.2 -64Gb iPad 2-64 Gb iPhone 6+-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage
    Wireless is wireless is wireless. Airport is 802.11 B/G compliant. I use my iBook in hotels, airports, cafes ands other "hotspots" all over the world with no problems. If you want to use a service from a CellPhone provider with your CellPhone, you may run into issues there.


  10. #10

    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    You could also get something like this:
    http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/usb/u111530.php

    Not the most elegant solution ever, but it might help tide you over...

    Otherwise you can get the macbook pro and an EVDO card for the expresscard slot.

  11. #11


    Member Since
    Jul 04, 2006
    Posts
    40
    thanks^ that's exactly what i've been looking for. but how much is it and can you buy it from that site?

  12. #12

    Aptmunich's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    9,073
    Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    I've no idea... I ran across it looking for a solution for a customer, but couldn't find them here in Germany.

    I'd try contacting the site, or browse froogle.com for retailers.


    I'm also not sure whether it's supported by OS X, but at least you could use it under boot camp.

  13. #13
    menace3054
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by avcabob
    The MacBook Pros don't have a pcmcia slot, they have an express card 34 slot which is supposed to be faster and better and whatnot but there's not really anything out for it yet.

    Airport is just Apple's fancy name for wireless networking so as menace said you'll need a hotspot to use it for internet.

    However, you could use bluetooth and use a bluetooth enabled cell phone to connect to the internet. That's what I do with my MacBook Pro. I would say call Varizion so see what cell phones and plans are supported.

    verizon is full with criminals.. all of their phones have OBEX disabled so it wouldnt work, you can patch the phone but then if it breaks (which they seem to do often) no more warranty. Ive also noticed that the range on by PB is a lot worse than PCS. when i was in class once, a kid next to me on a thinkpad was picking up all these networks that mine couldnt see. i had to walk around the building until i was able to find it.

  14. #14


    Member Since
    Jul 04, 2006
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by menace3054
    verizon is full with criminals.. all of their phones have OBEX disabled so it wouldnt work, you can patch the phone but then if it breaks (which they seem to do often) no more warranty. Ive also noticed that the range on by PB is a lot worse than PCS. when i was in class once, a kid next to me on a thinkpad was picking up all these networks that mine couldnt see. i had to walk around the building until i was able to find it.
    i didn't mean i wanted to use a verizon phone internet. i have a wireless internet card threw verizon..

  15. #15
    menace3054
    Guest
    no i know, i was just responding to the one post.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. audio drops out in itunes/ PPC, X10.4.11, original Airport and Airport Express
    By amaxx1 in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2010, 05:30 AM
  2. Is older Airport base station compatible with Airport Extreme Card?
    By theplunketts in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-17-2010, 11:02 PM
  3. Will Time Capsule/AirPort Extreme/AirPort Express work with any ethernet modem?
    By StevenH in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2008, 05:00 PM
  4. Comcast Internet, wireless network with Airport Extreme and Airport Express(es)
    By mtimberg in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 12:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •