Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Seeking Mass E-mail Solution for Our Group

    Member Since
    Jun 22, 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    112
    Specs:
    3.1 ghz i5, 12 gb 1333 mhz & iPhone 4s
    Seeking Mass E-mail Solution for Our Group
    Hi,

    I am involved with a group of hobbyists that are forming our own online group. We are searching a solution to allow us all to contact one another. I have an idea of something that I think would be ideal, but I'm unsure of how to implement it. I'll describe it and hopefully someone out there could point me in the right direction.

    First, I would set up a central email address. An example would be main_email@whatevermail.com.

    Anybody who sent an email to that address, would have that email automatically forwarded to every member of the group. The same would occur if a user replied to one of the emails. This could facilitate many conversations between a small group of people.

    I am hoping a solution may exist that is fairly simple and would allow us to get started with a simple hotmail or gmail account.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Seeking Mass E-mail Solution for Our Group
    TattooedMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2009
    Location
    Waiting for a mate . . .
    Posts
    8,379
    Specs:
    21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM & 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 8GB RAM 10.10.3, iPhone5 & iPad Air 2 iOS 8.3, ATV3
    Why not set up Main_Emal@whatevermail.com so that everyone can log into said email. Then if someone replys to said email, it is sent to everyone else in that group, use the bc cc within the email, and have everynone set up as a group to recieve it.
    Read more about bc and Cc here Sending an Email to Multiple Recipients - Cc: and Bcc: - About Email

    HTH
    Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
    Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
    MoTM ☆☆☆

  3. #3
    Seeking Mass E-mail Solution for Our Group
    Slydude's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 15, 2009
    Location
    North Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    8,556
    Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.10.2, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Mice idea. My thought was to have one Mac setup to periodically check the account. A mail rule would look for any e-mail sent to the account and use a rule to send the message to the group. The group is created within the Contact program and the name of that group

    Using the OP's example rule that looks something like this should work:

    If To is equal to Mail_Email@whatevermail.com
    Perform the following actions:
    Forward message to Name of group from Contacts
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

  4. #4
    Seeking Mass E-mail Solution for Our Group

    Member Since
    Jun 22, 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    112
    Specs:
    3.1 ghz i5, 12 gb 1333 mhz & iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
    Why not set up Main_Emal@whatevermail.com so that everyone can log into said email. Then if someone replys to said email, it is sent to everyone else in that group, use the bc cc within the email, and have everynone set up as a group to recieve it.
    Read more about bc and Cc here Sending an Email to Multiple Recipients - Cc: and Bcc: - About Email

    HTH
    Thanks, and it's a good idea. But I can see issues straight away.

    First, the membership of this group, as with most hobbyist groups, isn't entirely stable. I mean it's great for the most part, but some people come and go, and others cause problems. It would take just one bad egg to destroy mail history, send unwanted emails out, or even change the password locking the rest of us out.

  5. #5
    Seeking Mass E-mail Solution for Our Group

    Member Since
    Jun 22, 2011
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    112
    Specs:
    3.1 ghz i5, 12 gb 1333 mhz & iPhone 4s
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Mice idea. My thought was to have one Mac setup to periodically check the account. A mail rule would look for any e-mail sent to the account and use a rule to send the message to the group. The group is created within the Contact program and the name of that group

    Using the OP's example rule that looks something like this should work:

    If To is equal to Mail_Email@whatevermail.com
    Perform the following actions:
    Forward message to Name of group from Contacts
    This seems like it's exactly what I might be looking for. I'm not familiar really with mail rules. I will have to look into that!

  6. #6
    Seeking Mass E-mail Solution for Our Group
    Slydude's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 15, 2009
    Location
    North Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    8,556
    Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.10.2, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Quote Originally Posted by derekeverett View Post
    This seems like it's exactly what I might be looking for. I'm not familiar really with mail rules. I will have to look into that!
    I haven't tried that specific rule in the real world but have sent mails to groups manually in a similar fashion. One thing that might or might not be an issue for you. At one time some service providers set limits on how many people you could send messages to at one time.

    If it a large group mail list software would probably be a better option.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

    "Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ios 8 mass dlelte mail
    By bluemerc in forum iPad Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-17-2015, 08:05 PM
  2. Group mail
    By sapper in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2014, 02:48 AM
  3. Seeking Ideas- 3rd Party E Mail Which Will Work With Mac Mail
    By PGB1 in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-28-2013, 05:14 AM
  4. Looking for a mass mailer / mail list app
    By azucena_fs in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-20-2007, 11:38 AM
  5. OSX Mail : How to do mass-mailing ?
    By MPESGT01 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 06:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •