Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Connecting to college network using ibook G4 and Panther

    Member Since
    Feb 09, 2005
    Posts
    841
    Connecting to college network using ibook G4 and Panther
    I'm having serious problems connecting to the wireless network at my college.

    The Techie dude at the college that deals with all the network stuff is not helping at all.

    All the windows laptops are able to connect to it but my iBook can't.

    I was talking to a girl in college who has a Powerbook and she can't connect either.

    My Airport card doesn't even detect the network. I know there is no fault with my card because I have no trouble automatically connecting when I'm at McDonalds.



    Can anyone help???? THe only info I have is that I have the name of the network and it doesnt need a password. I gave my mac address to the admin and signed all the forms for conditions of use and he said that he has enabled me to connect to the network.... he's use to working with Windows PC's... maybe there is something about the MAC address of my iBook that he doesnt know???





    All help appreciated, thanks in advance.


    Shane neye:

  2. #2
    Connecting to college network using ibook G4 and Panther

    Member Since
    May 13, 2005
    Posts
    2,410
    try this. Network conect>> Airport>>Network>>other>>(type in network name)
    thats the only thing i can think of.

  3. #3
    Connecting to college network using ibook G4 and Panther
    inflexion's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 12, 2005
    Location
    /home/sheffield/UK
    Posts
    1,278
    Specs:
    12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
    a MAC address is a MAC address regardless of what OS is being used.

    im guessing that they have turned off the SSID so you need to manually enter this, and i will almost bet money that there will be a WPA/WEP key that you need.

    Go and ask the admin staff for the SSID and the Encryption key, you might get a little further


    Apple, think different

  4. #4
    Connecting to college network using ibook G4 and Panther
    MacsWork's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 22, 2005
    Location
    Closer than you think.
    Posts
    2,159
    Specs:
    Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
    In airport network prefs select prefered network instead of automatic. Select add and type in the name of the network and use no encryption. Click apply.

  5. #5
    Connecting to college network using ibook G4 and Panther

    Member Since
    May 13, 2005
    Posts
    2,410
    Quote Originally Posted by iRock
    I'm having serious problems connecting to the wireless network at my college.

    The Techie dude at the college that deals with all the network stuff is not helping at all.

    All the windows laptops are able to connect to it but my iBook can't.

    I was talking to a girl in college who has a Powerbook and she can't connect either.

    My Airport card doesn't even detect the network. I know there is no fault with my card because I have no trouble automatically connecting when I'm at McDonalds.



    Can anyone help???? THe only info I have is that I have the name of the network and it doesnt need a password. I gave my mac address to the admin and signed all the forms for conditions of use and he said that he has enabled me to connect to the network.... he's use to working with Windows PC's... maybe there is something about the MAC address of my iBook that he doesnt know???





    All help appreciated, thanks in advance.


    Shane neye:
    please post back so i can see who was right. thanks

  6. #6
    Connecting to college network using ibook G4 and Panther

    Member Since
    Feb 09, 2005
    Posts
    841
    Tried all of that and still no hope!

    Another thing I was thinking of was.... I hope I gave him the right mac address... I just gave the first number I saw.

    I went to preferences, network, airport and there was a number e.g. 24314; 2423; 64, you get the idea. Thats the MAC address right??

    So what exactly do I need to ask for??? I know for a fact there is no password for the network.

    Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input... no one seems to be able to help here.

  7. #7
    Connecting to college network using ibook G4 and Panther

    Member Since
    Feb 09, 2005
    Posts
    841
    Quote Originally Posted by inflexion
    a MAC address is a MAC address regardless of what OS is being used.

    im guessing that they have turned off the SSID so you need to manually enter this, and i will almost bet money that there will be a WPA/WEP key that you need.

    Go and ask the admin staff for the SSID and the Encryption key, you might get a little further

    Sorry to bother ya but how do I manually enter the SSID???

    Would you be able to show me with a screenshot perhaps???


    Thanks

    Appreciate it.

    Shane

  8. #8
    Connecting to college network using ibook G4 and Panther
    inflexion's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 12, 2005
    Location
    /home/sheffield/UK
    Posts
    1,278
    Specs:
    12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
    its the network name.
    go to the airport icon then click on Other.....
    this is the SSID and has to be correct otherwise it wont connect

    as for the mac address you gave them the AirPort ID number yea?
    mine starts 00:0a:95 etc just double checking


    Apple, think different

  9. #9
    Connecting to college network using ibook G4 and Panther

    Member Since
    Feb 09, 2005
    Posts
    841
    Oh right,

    Yeah I have tried that and still no luck. It isn't very fair that they don't bother because Im using a Mac.

    Yeah for the MAC address I gave them the Airport I.D


    What else could I do??

  10. #10
    Connecting to college network using ibook G4 and Panther
    inflexion's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 12, 2005
    Location
    /home/sheffield/UK
    Posts
    1,278
    Specs:
    12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
    the only other thing you could do is get the settings of someone with a windows machine check the settings on there and copy them onto your mac


    Apple, think different

  11. #11
    Connecting to college network using ibook G4 and Panther

    Member Since
    Feb 09, 2005
    Posts
    841
    Not a bad idea...... I'll try that when I get a chance and I'll let you all know how I get on.


    On the other hand........................


    Is there any software that I can get that will detect the network and let me join it automatically???

    Thanks

  12. #12
    Connecting to college network using ibook G4 and Panther

    Member Since
    Sep 14, 2005
    Posts
    7
    Specs:
    12" powerbook
    as long as the ssid is being broadcast then you will be able to join the network automatically, assuming the network is not password protected. you can also use a program called macstumbler to search for wireless networks.

  13. #13
    Connecting to college network using ibook G4 and Panther

    Member Since
    Feb 09, 2005
    Posts
    841
    Quote Originally Posted by bsmith08
    as long as the ssid is being broadcast then you will be able to join the network automatically, assuming the network is not password protected. you can also use a program called macstumbler to search for wireless networks.

    Cool

    So, if I use Macstumbler will it give me the option to join the network once I have found it??

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Connecting to college network
    By JAD in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-28-2009, 02:48 PM
  2. ibook G4 not connecting to wireless network in my dorm
    By Tys 4x4 FTW in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 04:12 PM
  3. Problems connecting to network in college on ibook G4
    By iRock in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-10-2005, 05:32 PM
  4. Connecting iBook to windows network
    By MrChris in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-29-2004, 07:59 AM
  5. run Panther off external HD? os 9 on ibook? network with XP?
    By kirkhings in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-02-2003, 06:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •