Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Macbook Pro Slow Internet Connection

    Member Since
    Aug 23, 2010
    Posts
    24
    Macbook Pro Slow Internet Connection
    Hello I'm am a new Mac user. I am good with all type of computers though, so I am not completely unskilled when it comes to laptops. I love this Macbook Pro, but the only issue I seem to be having is a slow internet connection. I have really good Comcast internet, that works very well on my moms PC. I can get it to run fairly well on my MBP at times, but I'll usually run into an unable to connect screen at some point, or get stuck on a page and can't leave.
    Here are speed test results.


    If it makes a difference I am using firefox, but I believe the issue happens in all browsers.

    Thanks
    -Craig

  2. #2
    Macbook Pro Slow Internet Connection
    IvanLasston's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 26, 2010
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High, Colorado
    Posts
    2,116
    Specs:
    1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
    Try setting your dns servers to google dns and see if that helps. I've seen several complaints with Comcast not getting pages to load. I personally use open dns and haven't had any problems. I too have Comcast as an ISP.
    OpenDNS | Internet Navigation And Security
    Google Public DNS

  3. #3
    Macbook Pro Slow Internet Connection

    Member Since
    Aug 23, 2010
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanLasston View Post
    Try setting your dns servers to google dns and see if that helps. I've seen several complaints with Comcast not getting pages to load. I personally use open dns and haven't had any problems. I too have Comcast as an ISP.
    OpenDNS | Internet Navigation And Security
    Google Public DNS
    Ill give it a shot!
    The thing is on my moms PC its lightning quick

  4. #4
    Macbook Pro Slow Internet Connection

    Member Since
    Aug 23, 2010
    Posts
    24
    Hey guys ! I want more help with this problem please!
    Its driving me nuts.
    Another thing to note is usually my internet works great first starting up, then at some point itll get stuck. I turn airport off then back on and its fresh again.
    What could this be?

  5. #5
    Macbook Pro Slow Internet Connection

    Member Since
    Aug 31, 2010
    Posts
    1
    I am having the same problem!
    Hi,

    I'm a complete beginner when it comes to macs, iv just made the transfer from pc and i'm trying to sort out my new macbook pro.

    I have found that the internet connection is much much slower than it should be. I have been google-ing around and have found no help; I have tried openDNS and google DNS and it still isn't improving my speed even when restarting the macbook.

    The speed test results for my macbook are download: 239.5kb/s and upload: 27kb/s.

    This is ridiculous when compared to my iphone on the same network
    download:1790kb/s and upload: 149 kb/s

    Has anyone got any ideas how I can fix this issue? I doubt it's the network as it works fine on my iphone and previous knackered windows laptop (with 3 years worth of junk clogging it up), and this macbook pro is only a day old!

    Thanks a lot
    Benjy

  6. #6
    Macbook Pro Slow Internet Connection

    Member Since
    Aug 23, 2010
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjyCJ View Post
    Hi,

    I'm a complete beginner when it comes to macs, iv just made the transfer from pc and i'm trying to sort out my new macbook pro.

    I have found that the internet connection is much much slower than it should be. I have been google-ing around and have found no help; I have tried openDNS and google DNS and it still isn't improving my speed even when restarting the macbook.

    The speed test results for my macbook are download: 239.5kb/s and upload: 27kb/s.

    This is ridiculous when compared to my iphone on the same network
    download:1790kb/s and upload: 149 kb/s

    Has anyone got any ideas how I can fix this issue? I doubt it's the network as it works fine on my iphone and previous knackered windows laptop (with 3 years worth of junk clogging it up), and this macbook pro is only a day old!

    Thanks a lot
    Benjy
    It can't be the network. Mine is lightning fast most the time and then BANG it won't load pages. My moms PC can go all day loading pages and never lose it.

  7. #7
    Macbook Pro Slow Internet Connection
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,466
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cjdontthink View Post
    Hello I'm am a new Mac user. I am good with all type of computers though, so I am not completely unskilled when it comes to laptops. I love this Macbook Pro, but the only issue I seem to be having is a slow internet connection. I have really good Comcast internet, that works very well on my moms PC. I can get it to run fairly well on my MBP at times, but I'll usually run into an unable to connect screen at some point, or get stuck on a page and can't leave.
    Here are speed test results.


    If it makes a difference I am using firefox, but I believe the issue happens in all browsers.

    Thanks
    -Craig
    I'm going to suggest that you really have nothing to complain about regarding your internet connection speeds. I have Time-Warner cable modem service...and I'm currently getting:

    - 13.55Mb/sec download
    - 0.49Mb/sec upload

    That's a good bit slower than the numbers you posted...and my speed is just fine!

    If you're getting those kind of internet speeds...and your computers internet seems slow...I don't think it's your internet connection...it's something to do with your computer.

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  8. #8
    Macbook Pro Slow Internet Connection

    Member Since
    Aug 23, 2010
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    I'm going to suggest that you really have nothing to complain about regarding your internet connection speeds. I have Time-Warner cable modem service...and I'm currently getting:

    - 13.55Mb/sec download
    - 0.49Mb/sec upload

    That's a good bit slower than the numbers you posted...and my speed is just fine!

    If you're getting those kind of internet speeds...and your computers internet seems slow...I don't think it's your internet connection...it's something to do with your computer.

    - Nick

    A bad airport or something?
    Or is there one little setting that i need to mess with somewhere?
    I need a genius to tell me

  9. #9
    Macbook Pro Slow Internet Connection
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,466
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cjdontthink View Post
    I need a genius to tell me
    Well I don't know about the "genius" part...but I'll give it a shot.

    Here are some various "generic" things to try:

    1. How full is your hard drive? (if it's more than approx. 80% or so full this can start to cause performance issues)
    2. When was the last time you restarted this computer?...try rebooting it.
    3. When was the last time you repaired permissions?
    4. Run disk utility to be sure your hard drive doesn't have problems.
    5. Are you running any other programs other than your internet browser when you are having performance issues?
    6. Do you have any programs installed that "auto-launch" on rebooting the computer? These could be causing issues.
    7. How much ram does this computer have? If you're running too many programs simultaneously that will eat up all your ram...and not leave enough for the browser.

    If none of the above helps...is this Macbook Pro still under warranty?...if so...let the folks at the Apple Store check it out.

    HTH,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  10. #10
    Macbook Pro Slow Internet Connection

    Member Since
    Aug 21, 2010
    Posts
    3
    I've had the same issue come up, and I don't know how or where I found this solution (which worked for me) - but if you go into your System Preferences/Network/Airport/Advanced - and go to the DNS tab - add 4.2.2.1, and 4.2.2.2

    I'm not exactly sure what these are or what they do, but it cleared up the slow speed problem for me. Perhaps someone here can shed more light on these DNS addresses.

  11. #11
    Macbook Pro Slow Internet Connection

    Member Since
    Aug 23, 2010
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    Well I don't know about the "genius" part...but I'll give it a shot.

    Here are some various "generic" things to try:

    1. How full is your hard drive? (if it's more than approx. 80% or so full this can start to cause performance issues)
    2. When was the last time you restarted this computer?...try rebooting it.
    3. When was the last time you repaired permissions?
    4. Run disk utility to be sure your hard drive doesn't have problems.
    5. Are you running any other programs other than your internet browser when you are having performance issues?
    6. Do you have any programs installed that "auto-launch" on rebooting the computer? These could be causing issues.
    7. How much ram does this computer have? If you're running too many programs simultaneously that will eat up all your ram...and not leave enough for the browser.

    If none of the above helps...is this Macbook Pro still under warranty?...if so...let the folks at the Apple Store check it out.

    HTH,

    - Nick
    thanks for the reply, Ill answer your questions


    1. Computer is brand new and still has 270Gbs of free space.
    2. Restart all the time!
    3. Just now doing this, we will see if it makes a difference
    4. ^^^ Haven't experienced any problems or been notified of any.
    5. I have tried only having the browser open, I don't think it really makes a difference. Its a brand new MBP, I imagine it should be capable of browsing and having other little programs open.
    6. I believe the only one that auto-launches is Stickies (shouldn't matter)
    7. Shouldn't be a problem lots of ram on the new model!


    It is under warranty and if it bother me further I may take it in!

    Thanks for your reply !
    -Craig

  12. #12
    Macbook Pro Slow Internet Connection

    Member Since
    Aug 23, 2010
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by kenk23 View Post
    I've had the same issue come up, and I don't know how or where I found this solution (which worked for me) - but if you go into your System Preferences/Network/Airport/Advanced - and go to the DNS tab - add 4.2.2.1, and 4.2.2.2

    I'm not exactly sure what these are or what they do, but it cleared up the slow speed problem for me. Perhaps someone here can shed more light on these DNS addresses.
    Just added the addresses and Ill see if they help. thing is I added googles public addresses and could connect to my college's internet until i deleted them!

  13. #13
    Macbook Pro Slow Internet Connection
    pigoo3's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 20, 2008
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    31,466
    Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by cjdontthink View Post
    It is under warranty and if it bother me further I may take it in!
    I think if the problem persists...this is probably the next best step.

    Good luck,

    - Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

  14. #14
    Macbook Pro Slow Internet Connection

    Member Since
    Sep 08, 2010
    Posts
    1
    Fixed my slow internet/no internet new mbp UNPLUG **** you plugged in
    Hello there peoples...

    Well, I ran into the same problem with my internet. Bought this thing last week, everything was fine until a couple of days ago when the internet started bugging out. Read and read and read all over for answers....heres how i fixed it:

    I figured out the only change that i made from the time the internet worked to the time it crapped out was that I added a bunch of connections: an external mouse, keyboard, firewire audiocard (firebox, presonus), and an out to a bigger monitor.

    Guess what? I unplugged all of these things and the internet worked INSTANTLY. Now, I'm not sure which one of these connections is causing the problem, because I did plug these things back in and it works...until it decides to take a crap...so...yeah.

    I read somewhere something about the mbp power not being sufficient so it craps the internet out when you attach **** that takes up power (as you can tell I'm not a computer nerd so please bare with ma ****)

    I'm out.

  15. #15
    Macbook Pro Slow Internet Connection

    Member Since
    Sep 14, 2010
    Posts
    1
    Possible OS Update/ Plug-in
    I had a similar experience... another computer (a PC) in our house was working fine (and it is usually MUCH slower than my MacBook Pro). I was having about a 30 to 45 second delay before an internet window would begin displaying the little rotating "I'm getting there" icon. I called Apple support, and after troubleshooting, the tech had me remove a plug-in that was a part of a automatic default update, and the problem was gone. I'm back on the forum because I ran another update, and it's doing it again, and I was hoping the step-by-step instructions would be here on the forum... so Apple Support, here I come.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Macbook pro Wired Internet connection is really slow
    By davisjack in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2013, 07:01 PM
  2. Macbook Internet Connection Slow / Keeps Dropping
    By Sean499 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 08:00 PM
  3. MacBook Pro - Internet connection problems
    By rnckw in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 09:23 PM
  4. MacBook Pro and Wi-Fi Slow Internet Connection
    By webcopernic in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-21-2010, 09:06 AM
  5. I lost internet connection on my Macbook Pro
    By kelvin200663 in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 03:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •