Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    automatically connect to invisible SSID

    Member Since
    Aug 07, 2006
    Posts
    19
    automatically connect to invisible SSID
    i've just created an invisible SSID on my Linksys router. how do i set up my mac to automatically connect to it though? i don't want to have to enter the name and pw each time i want to connect.

  2. #2
    automatically connect to invisible SSID

    Member Since
    Mar 21, 2008
    Posts
    16
    Specs:
    15.4" MPB - Base Model
    Quote Originally Posted by roderick View Post
    i've just created an invisible SSID on my Linksys router. how do i set up my mac to automatically connect to it though? i don't want to have to enter the name and pw each time i want to connect.
    Unhide the SSID, set automatic connecting on your Mac, then rehide the SSID.

    HTH

  3. #3
    automatically connect to invisible SSID
    bobtomay's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 22, 2006
    Location
    Texas, where else?
    Posts
    26,209
    Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '11 1.8 i7 4GB 10.10; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.10; 5s & 5c
    Leopard??

    System Preferences - Network - highlight Airport on the left - hit the Advanced button

    Airport tab highlighted at the top - Add the network to your Preferred Networks:
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

  4. #4
    automatically connect to invisible SSID
    WolfsBane's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 21, 2007
    Location
    Treasure Valley, Idaho. US
    Posts
    406
    Specs:
    20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
    Actually, it added itself to the preferred list automatically in my case. However, I'm having similar problems. I wanted to hide my SSID and set up my system to automatically log on to the preferred Airport network. Unfortunately, with the new update, my system fails to remember the network or to log in automatically to it when my system wakes up from sleep mode even though it is set to "remember" the network and it's parameters. Then to make matters worse, I have to try to log in manually several time because the system log in screen keeps timing out. Pretty frustrating to be honest.

    Hope Springs Eternal
    Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!

  5. #5
    automatically connect to invisible SSID
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Just a bit of advice (learned the hard way from someone who used to hide his SSID)...

    Hiding the SSID is a bad idea on Macs to begin with. For whatever reason, the Airport drivers just don't deal well when there are other WAPs present and the one you want to connect to is hidden.

    Hiding your SSID provides no additional security whatsoever. A simple scan with a decent sniffer will still yield your SSID. You're only making your wireless card work that much harder to maintain a connection. This has a direct impact on range and speed of connection.

    I would strongly recommend broadcasting SSID and switching over to WPA2 if available and you haven't already done so (plain WPA is fine too).

    Any hacker who is smart enough to break encryption, is going to chuckle heartily at a hidden SSID.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  6. #6
    automatically connect to invisible SSID
    WolfsBane's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 21, 2007
    Location
    Treasure Valley, Idaho. US
    Posts
    406
    Specs:
    20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Just a bit of advice (learned the hard way from someone who used to hide his SSID)...

    Hiding the SSID is a bad idea on Macs to begin with. For whatever reason, the Airport drivers just don't deal well when there are other WAPs present and the one you want to connect to is hidden.

    Hiding your SSID provides no additional security whatsoever. A simple scan with a decent sniffer will still yield your SSID. You're only making your wireless card work that much harder to maintain a connection. This has a direct impact on range and speed of connection.

    I would strongly recommend broadcasting SSID and switching over to WPA2 if available and you haven't already done so (plain WPA is fine too).

    Any hacker who is smart enough to break encryption, is going to chuckle heartily at a hidden SSID.
    If there is one thing I have long learned in this business, is to take good advise when given...

    SSID - broadcasting again.
    WEP is toast
    WPA is enabled.

    Gracie!!!

    Hope Springs Eternal
    Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!

  7. #7
    automatically connect to invisible SSID
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfsBane View Post
    If there is one thing I have long learned in this business, is to take good advise when given...

    SSID - broadcasting again.
    WEP is toast
    WPA is enabled.

    Gracie!!!
    No problem. I spent countless hours of frustration trying to figure out why I couldn't get my signal to extend outside of my house onto my deck (it always worked fine on my Windows laptops), but it just wouldn't work on my Mac. The secret was to enable SSID, because the next door neighbor (whose WAP was closer to my deck than mine was and also broadcasting SSID) was somehow attracting my Mac's attention. Turn SSID broadcast back on and VOILA!
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

  8. #8
    automatically connect to invisible SSID
    WolfsBane's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 21, 2007
    Location
    Treasure Valley, Idaho. US
    Posts
    406
    Specs:
    20" iMac 2.4GHz w/ WD My Book 500GB HDD. MacBook Pro 2.4GHz. iPhone 5, white, 16 Gigs.
    I still get a small delay from Airport before it reacquires wireless connection when it awakes from sleep mode, but so far, so good.

    I wonder if Apple is going to address some of these glitches with the new Leopard 10.5.3 that they started testing today...

    Hope Springs Eternal
    Welcome... to the house of Rock and Jazz!

  9. #9
    automatically connect to invisible SSID
    cwa107's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 20, 2006
    Location
    Lake Mary, Florida
    Posts
    26,758
    Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfsBane View Post
    I still get a small delay from Airport before it reacquires wireless connection when it awakes from sleep mode, but so far, so good.

    I wonder if Apple is going to address some of these glitches with the new Leopard 10.5.3 that they started testing today...
    There is always a delay when waking from sleep. That's completely normal - usually about 10 seconds or so while the adapter is initialized (remember, everything is turned off when the machine sleeps).

    Even if this "glitch" were to be resolved (i.e. Airport is more reliable when using a network with a hidden SSID), you'll still see much better performance and range with it enabled. BTW, this has been a problem since 10.4.8 (when I first started using Macs), so don't look for it to be corrected as a Leopard "bug".
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

    https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Forcing OSX to connect to a specific channel/SSID?
    By Nethfel in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2014, 09:57 AM
  2. How to automatically connect to a server when you log in
    By chomper in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-09-2011, 03:00 PM
  3. MBP/AirPort compatibility with invisible SSID/network?
    By lithium1330 in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-22-2010, 03:27 PM
  4. sometimes see the network and connect automatically, sometimes not
    By playsguitas in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2009, 01:39 AM
  5. connect automatically when needed?
    By ritchb666 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2006, 04:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •