Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    My HDR failures... is it the camera?
    Eire's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 06, 2009
    Location
    Cincinasty
    Posts
    17
    Specs:
    Mac Mini T7200 C2D 60GB OCZ Vertex 2GB RAM
    My HDR failures... is it the camera?
    I've been trying to take some HDR photos to make some really cool desktop backgrounds and have been an utter failure. I take a series of photos at different f-stops and aperature settings then use photoshoppe to layer them together as per a tutorial I read but none of them turn out spectacular looking as many of them I see do, in fact they look rather ordinary. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or is my camera just not up to the task? It's not a SLR even though it does have a ton of manual settings:

    Amazon.com: Canon Powershot S2 IS 5MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom: Camera & Photo

  2. #2
    My HDR failures... is it the camera?

    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2009
    Posts
    469
    You don't want to use a bunch of f-stops, you want to get a bunch of different exposures. You also need a tripod or some method of keeping the camera still while you're taking the pictures. You want to (auto-) bracket the proper exposure +/- a certain amount so you get the proper range.

    Does your camera shoot in RAW? If so you should be able to manually adjust the exposure and make a decent HDR image.

    ...and if you can't do any of these, then yes it is your camera :-)

  3. #3
    My HDR failures... is it the camera?
    kpmedia's Avatar
    Member Since
    Apr 23, 2009
    Posts
    79
    You need to manually expose. Do it by shutter, not aperture. Set it for a series of 7 images, about a half stop apart each. That will give enough latitude.

    I find HDR overrated and unnatural, and what you get is no longer a true photograph either.
    DVD Burning Problems? Learn which discs work best, and which are to be avoided, at digitalFAQ.com
    Don't hate Windows. Just use Parallels! Best of both worlds!

  4. #4
    My HDR failures... is it the camera?
    Eire's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 06, 2009
    Location
    Cincinasty
    Posts
    17
    Specs:
    Mac Mini T7200 C2D 60GB OCZ Vertex 2GB RAM
    It doesn't shoot in RAW without a firmware upgrade which I cannot get to work. It also does not have an exposure bulb, I used the exposure timer which goes between 5 and 30 seconds.

  5. #5
    My HDR failures... is it the camera?
    BlueMac's Avatar
    Member Since
    Sep 01, 2008
    Location
    Rhinebeck, NY
    Posts
    1,056
    Specs:
    20" iMac 2.66 GHz... Running 10.5.7
    Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    You need to manually expose. Do it by shutter, not aperture. Set it for a series of 7 images, about a half stop apart each. That will give enough latitude.

    I find HDR overrated and unnatural, and what you get is no longer a true photograph either.
    I agree. I tried it and it looked terrible.
    Flickr

    Last.fm
    Si, hablo Espa˝ol. Oui, je parle franšais. Yes, I speak English.

  6. #6
    My HDR failures... is it the camera?
    Phototini's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 14, 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    95
    Specs:
    2009 24" Imac 2.93ghz 4gb RAM 640gb HDD GT130 GPU
    You only need 3 shots realistically, start at -2 then 0 then +2 using the shutter speed as your only variable. This will give you the dynamic range an HDR imagining program needs to make the image.

    There is also no such thing as a "true photograph" either. Photography is art no matter how you look at it. And not everyone's interpretation will be the same, just as in any other form of art. The really bad HDR images usually come from amateurs or kids with a half decent camera and bootleg copies of imaging software that have no idea how to properly use either the camera or the software.

  7. #7
    My HDR failures... is it the camera?
    Dysfunction's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    6,821
    Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    You need to manually expose. Do it by shutter, not aperture. Set it for a series of 7 images, about a half stop apart each. That will give enough latitude.

    I find HDR overrated and unnatural, and what you get is no longer a true photograph either.
    it has it's places. if you look at the work of many photographers (Jerry Uelsmann comes to mine immediately) you no longer have a 'true photograph' either.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

  8. #8
    My HDR failures... is it the camera?
    Eire's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 06, 2009
    Location
    Cincinasty
    Posts
    17
    Specs:
    Mac Mini T7200 C2D 60GB OCZ Vertex 2GB RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by Phototini View Post
    You only need 3 shots realistically, start at -2 then 0 then +2 using the shutter speed as your only variable. This will give you the dynamic range an HDR imagining program needs to make the image.

    There is also no such thing as a "true photograph" either. Photography is art no matter how you look at it. And not everyone's interpretation will be the same, just as in any other form of art. The really bad HDR images usually come from amateurs or kids with a half decent camera and bootleg copies of imaging software that have no idea how to properly use either the camera or the software.
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot as soon as it quits pouring the rain :/

  9. #9
    My HDR failures... is it the camera?
    macwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    909
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
    i have seen quite a few fantastic HDR shots.. i just cant seem to make them come out quite as nice as these other photographers, but in due time, everything comes with practice.
    Click the logo to check out my site...

    "learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini

  10. #10
    My HDR failures... is it the camera?
    Dysfunction's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 17, 2008
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    6,821
    Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    My problem with many HDR's is they're too stylized. Now, I've seen shots where this highly stylized output is perfectly appropriate, but it's pretty selective at that point. What I really like it for is bringing out otherwise technically impossible detail in things like low light shots, without the associated blowouts of a longer exposure.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

  11. #11
    My HDR failures... is it the camera?
    macwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    909
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    My problem with many HDR's is they're too stylized. Now, I've seen shots where this highly stylized output is perfectly appropriate, but it's pretty selective at that point. What I really like it for is bringing out otherwise technically impossible detail in things like low light shots, without the associated blowouts of a longer exposure.
    agreed, i wont argue with you there.. i like that as well
    Click the logo to check out my site...

    "learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini

  12. #12
    My HDR failures... is it the camera?
    Phototini's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 14, 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    95
    Specs:
    2009 24" Imac 2.93ghz 4gb RAM 640gb HDD GT130 GPU
    Quote Originally Posted by Eire View Post
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot as soon as it quits pouring the rain :/
    No problem! But just remember that just because you are making an HDR image doesn't mean the rest of the rules don't apply. Use the light to your advantage, and get a good composition. Without both of those even a good HDR will be bad.

  13. #13
    My HDR failures... is it the camera?
    macwannabe's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 19, 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    909
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
    rain in HDR might be nice though?
    Click the logo to check out my site...

    "learn the basics, learn the rules, and then learn how to break them creatively.." - Phototini

  14. #14
    My HDR failures... is it the camera?
    Phototini's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 14, 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    95
    Specs:
    2009 24" Imac 2.93ghz 4gb RAM 640gb HDD GT130 GPU
    Quote Originally Posted by macwannabe View Post
    rain in HDR might be nice though?
    I think so, but I do believe that would be a tough shot even for an HDR pro. Since you more than likely would have to bump the ISO up quite a bit to keep a fast enough shutter speed to capture the rain drops as close together as possible so the images match up.

  15. #15
    My HDR failures... is it the camera?
    Eire's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 06, 2009
    Location
    Cincinasty
    Posts
    17
    Specs:
    Mac Mini T7200 C2D 60GB OCZ Vertex 2GB RAM
    Quote Originally Posted by Phototini View Post
    I think so, but I do believe that would be a tough shot even for an HDR pro. Since you more than likely would have to bump the ISO up quite a bit to keep a fast enough shutter speed to capture the rain drops as close together as possible so the images match up.
    ISO only goes up to 400. I wish I had gotten the Fuji Finepix competitor to this camera that went up to 1600 or 3200 with custom firmware.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. OSX Failures
    By sbmeyer001 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-21-2014, 12:29 PM
  2. iPhone camera, no HDR or zoom
    By richardh281 in forum iPhone Hardware and Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2010, 02:28 AM
  3. Time Capsule failures
    By RadioSaigon in forum Internet, Networking, and Wireless
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 07:34 AM
  4. Looking for A/V hub for mac to sony hdr-ax-2000 camera
    By boogiejuice in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 05:46 PM
  5. HD Failures
    By IronMac in forum Schweb's Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2007, 11:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •