Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Import to iphoto or another file

    Member Since
    Apr 28, 2009
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    22
    Specs:
    iMac (2.8 Ghz and 2 gb memory)& MacBook
    Import to iphoto or another file
    Hi

    I am a newbie to the mac and want to try to get things right first time (which will be new for me). When importing my photos should I allow iphoto to import them or (as I will be using Photoshop CS4) just import them to a file for photoshop. I have ordered photoshop but haven't got it yet so no chance to play yet. Also does iphoto in any way degrade the image.

    thanks

    Dave

  2. #2
    Import to iphoto or another file

    Member Since
    May 05, 2009
    Posts
    3
    Dave, I'd like to follow this thread as I am a Mac owner 4 days now and have MANY photos to import and not sure what would be best, either. Mind if I tag along?

  3. #3
    Import to iphoto or another file

    Member Since
    Apr 22, 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    687
    Specs:
    2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
    Doyou anticipate using iPhoto for your organizing and browsing? If so, then you can let iPhoto import your photos (check in preferences for import to iPhoto folder - not at the mac right now so can't remember the exact wording). Then also in preferences, set Photoshop as your external editor. Then, when you want to edit a photo, PS will open, you can edit and iPhoto will save the photo right back where it belongs. No need to have duplicates in separate files.
    Mary

  4. #4
    Import to iphoto or another file

    Member Since
    Apr 28, 2009
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    22
    Specs:
    iMac (2.8 Ghz and 2 gb memory)& MacBook
    Hi Mary

    Thanks for the above, it sounds great. One thing though I couldn't see where to set photoshop as my external editor.

    Please tag along challiman, the mac looks great but trying to replace several years experience on windows in a short time is a real challenge, especially if you want to get it right first time.......

  5. #5
    Import to iphoto or another file

    Member Since
    Apr 22, 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    687
    Specs:
    2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
    O.K., home now. In iPhoto preferences, under the General tab, where it says "Edit photo" navigate to photoshop, or whatever you want to use -- mine says "in main window" because I use iPhoto to edit (lots of options, and getting better every update -- maybe you don't need to spend the money on photoshop?).
    Mary

  6. #6
    Import to iphoto or another file
    Pomeroy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location
    Washington & Arizona
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Allen View Post
    Hi

    I am a newbie to the mac and want to try to get things right first time (which will be new for me). When importing my photos should I allow iphoto to import them or (as I will be using Photoshop CS4) just import them to a file for photoshop. I have ordered photoshop but haven't got it yet so no chance to play yet. Also does iphoto in any way degrade the image.

    thanks

    Dave
    iPhoto never touches your original photo so it won't degrade it, you can revert back to the original at anytime if you mess up a photo.
    As skybolt says you can use any application you want to do your editing as well as iphoto. To be able to use both without going back and forth in Preferences, do as skybolt said but go one step father and you can use iPhoto as your default editor but when you need the extras of an external editor just right click on the photo and you can do other edits in Photoshop or any editor you have selected.
    As skybolt said, "In iPhoto preferences, under the General tab, where it says "Edit photo" navigate to photoshop, or whatever you want to use." After you select Photoshop as your external editor go back and click on "Using Full screen" or "In main window". Now you can use iPhoto to do most of your editing, but when you need more power just Right click the photo and select "Edit in External Editor" and it will open up in Photoshop, make your edit then "Save" and it will be saved back in iPhoto in the correct place. I do about 95% of my edits in iPhoto, but when I need to do something extra I just Right click and open it up in Pixelmator.

  7. #7
    Import to iphoto or another file

    Member Since
    Apr 28, 2009
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    22
    Specs:
    iMac (2.8 Ghz and 2 gb memory)& MacBook
    Wow, thanks skybolt and Pomeroy. I think I will follow your advice and yes most of my editing will be in iphoto but unfortunately there is that other 5 - 10%. I am starting to see the power and flexibility of the Max........

  8. #8
    Import to iphoto or another file

    Member Since
    Apr 17, 2008
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomeroy View Post
    iPhoto never touches your original photo so it won't degrade it, you can revert back to the original at anytime if you mess up a photo.
    As skybolt says you can use any application you want to do your editing as well as iphoto. To be able to use both without going back and forth in Preferences, do as skybolt said but go one step father and you can use iPhoto as your default editor but when you need the extras of an external editor just right click on the photo and you can do other edits in Photoshop or any editor you have selected.
    As skybolt said, "In iPhoto preferences, under the General tab, where it says "Edit photo" navigate to photoshop, or whatever you want to use." After you select Photoshop as your external editor go back and click on "Using Full screen" or "In main window". Now you can use iPhoto to do most of your editing, but when you need more power just Right click the photo and select "Edit in External Editor" and it will open up in Photoshop, make your edit then "Save" and it will be saved back in iPhoto in the correct place. I do about 95% of my edits in iPhoto, but when I need to do something extra I just Right click and open it up in Pixelmator.
    Excellent thread guys; it answered many of my questions as well.

    I have been using iPhoto to manage my personal photos, including the photo editing capabilities. However, I will be shooting photos for some work related stuff that I do not really want to keep in my iPhoto library. Can I import and edit photos via iPhoto, but then save them in the generic "My Pictures" folder? Is there any other way to manage these that would be easier or make more sense?

    Thanks!

  9. #9
    Import to iphoto or another file
    Pomeroy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 11, 2009
    Location
    Washington & Arizona
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerphysio View Post
    Excellent thread guys; it answered many of my questions as well.

    I have been using iPhoto to manage my personal photos, including the photo editing capabilities. However, I will be shooting photos for some work related stuff that I do not really want to keep in my iPhoto library. Can I import and edit photos via iPhoto, but then save them in the generic "My Pictures" folder? Is there any other way to manage these that would be easier or make more sense?

    Thanks!
    I think for what you are wanting to do that either one of these programs will work.. Both are free so try out and pick the one you like.

    Photo Library Manager
    Fat Cat Software - iPhoto Library Manager
    or
    iPhoto Buddy
    iPhoto Buddy Home Page

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Can't import to Iphoto
    By jrsower in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-19-2012, 05:53 PM
  2. Iphoto import - file date / time not recognized
    By DHafer in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2011, 02:36 AM
  3. iphoto 5 - reinstalled OS and need to import previous library and folders for iPhoto
    By misteratm in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-31-2009, 10:55 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-25-2008, 02:03 PM
  5. Iphoto import
    By ghsusaxa75 in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-20-2008, 06:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •