Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Problems with CompaqFlash card

    Member Since
    Jul 31, 2008
    Posts
    7
    Specs:
    iMac
    Unhappy Problems with CompaqFlash card
    Hey guys and gals! New here and new to Macs so I need a bit of help

    I have a Canon Rebel XT so ... it uses CompaqFlash cards. I have a SanDisk USB drive that I use to download the content of the card onto my mac.

    My problem is when I delete pictures and the folders from the card (via Finder and not the software that comes with the camera) and I put the card back in my camera I get Err CP everytime.

    I have to go then on my PC and format the card and then it's fine.

    So... how can I get this to work on my iMac now?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks a bunch!

  2. #2
    Problems with CompaqFlash card
    lifeafter2am's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 25, 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,395
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro Unibody
    Quote Originally Posted by karinne View Post
    Hey guys and gals! New here and new to Macs so I need a bit of help

    I have a Canon Rebel XT so ... it uses CompaqFlash cards. I have a SanDisk USB drive that I use to download the content of the card onto my mac.

    My problem is when I delete pictures and the folders from the card (via Finder and not the software that comes with the camera) and I put the card back in my camera I get Err CP everytime.

    I have to go then on my PC and format the card and then it's fine.

    So... how can I get this to work on my iMac now?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks a bunch!
    First off, its CompactFlash. lol. Its not made by Compaq.

    Second, don't delete the folders, only the pictures. I usually delete the pictures from my card anyway on my 40D.
    masakatsu agatsu

    @lifeafter2am

  3. #3
    Problems with CompaqFlash card

    Member Since
    Jul 31, 2008
    Posts
    7
    Specs:
    iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeafter2am View Post
    First off, its CompactFlash. lol. Its not made by Compaq.
    hehe... yeah... I was writing fast :p

    Second, don't delete the folders, only the pictures. I usually delete the pictures from my card anyway on my 40D.[/QUOTE]

    OK thanks!

    Guess I'll have to fire up the PC and format the disk properly one last time then eh?

    Thanks for the help!

  4. #4
    Problems with CompaqFlash card

    Member Since
    Feb 13, 2007
    Location
    Worthing, West Sussex, UK
    Posts
    212
    Specs:
    27" iMac 3.1Ghz 16GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 4.
    Why do you need to delete the images of the card when it's attached to a computer?

    Cameras use the FAT32 format for their memory cards, when you delete the photos, OSX is doing something to the files that simply means that it's no longer 100% FAT32 in the way that a camera can access.

    I've never once formatted a card in a computer for two reasons.

    1) You run the risk of this kind of error. I've seen everything from people formatting cards as NTFS and HFS+ and then complaining their card is dead when they put it in their camera, to formatting the card on their computer and then in their camera 'just to make sure'.

    2) If your camera can write the file allocation table to the card it can certainly write images to it. This is a sure fire way to know if you can actually take photos before it's too late. As soon as I slap a card in I format in the camera, any errors the card gets tossed to the bottom of the bag and I grab another card that works. This way I never miss a shot.

  5. #5
    Problems with CompaqFlash card

    Member Since
    Jul 31, 2008
    Posts
    7
    Specs:
    iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Peakoverload View Post
    Why do you need to delete the images of the card when it's attached to a computer?
    Huh? Maybe I'm missing something here but I delete the images once they are download on the computer so that I can re-use the card?!

  6. #6
    Problems with CompaqFlash card

    Member Since
    Feb 13, 2007
    Location
    Worthing, West Sussex, UK
    Posts
    212
    Specs:
    27" iMac 3.1Ghz 16GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by karinne View Post
    Huh? Maybe I'm missing something here but I delete the images once they are download on the computer so that I can re-use the card?!
    Formatting the card deletes the pictures, writes a nice clean file allocation table and is often quicker than just deleting photos manually

  7. #7
    Problems with CompaqFlash card

    Member Since
    Jul 31, 2008
    Posts
    7
    Specs:
    iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Peakoverload View Post
    Formatting the card deletes the pictures, writes a nice clean file allocation table and is often quicker than just deleting photos manually
    Yeah ... I know that!

    Can I format the card with my iMac? I tried it (I think) but it didn't work.

    Thanks for the help!

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Sep 28, 2006
    Location
    Arvada, CO
    Posts
    119
    Specs:
    iMac--OSX 10.6.7
    I always erase and reformat my cards in the camera in which they are used. You are much less likely to corrupt the card or get errors with this method. However, I do not delete individual pictures from the card--I always delete them from within iPhoto after they are imported.

  9. #9
    Problems with CompaqFlash card

    Member Since
    Feb 13, 2007
    Location
    Worthing, West Sussex, UK
    Posts
    212
    Specs:
    27" iMac 3.1Ghz 16GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by karinne View Post
    Yeah ... I know that!

    Can I format the card with my iMac? I tried it (I think) but it didn't work.

    Thanks for the help!
    Umm, please re-read my first reply.

    Basically, no, don't use your Mac to format the card. Use your camera

  10. #10
    Problems with CompaqFlash card

    Member Since
    Jul 31, 2008
    Posts
    7
    Specs:
    iMac
    HAHA!!! I didn't even know I could format the card with my camera! DUH!

    Found it, formatted it and now it works!

    Thanks for the help guys!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-08-2014, 04:14 PM
  2. Memory Card Problems
    By rustcw in forum Images, Graphic Design, and Digital Photography
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2012, 07:43 PM
  3. 3G data card problems
    By mqatkin in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2012, 04:57 PM
  4. SD card problems
    By hoshikiayame in forum Other Hardware and Peripherals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2010, 09:08 PM
  5. Problems with graphics card?
    By ambeanerxcore in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-02-2010, 11:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •