New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Newbie needs help with iWeb site browser optimization

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SirTopas

SirTopas is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I am a new switcher who just got my first macbook a few months ago. So far, I am loving everything about it. I am working on using iWeb to design my first website. I am pleased with how it is turning out, but I heard that some sites made with iWeb don't look good in browsers other than Safari.

I didn't want to invest too much more time into making the site if it wasn't going to be viewable in IE or Firefox, since those are the two most popular browsers in the business world right now. I took my site files and put them on my Dell desktop and tried to view the site in both IE and Firefox. In Firefox, it looked almost perfect, but there were a few small differences in font and I had some bullet points in a green box that looked perfect in Safari, but in Firefox the box was broken (the bottom panel of the box was disconnected). In IE, the site was a disaster.

My question is, how can I make sure that the site looks good in all 3 browsers?

Thanks in advance to any wise ones out there who can help me!
QUOTE Thanks
manifestao

manifestao is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: mbp 2ghz dual 15"

iWeb '08 is a disaster for anyone trying to make a cross-platform site. honestly, i gave up after downloading each browser available for Mac and there is no love there, folks. And i'm pretty advanced user since 1.0. Check my latest creation on Safari and it's swell. On any browsers otherwise, broken links, unloadable JPEGs for godssake?! Honestly, i appreciate Steve going to the mat in the music business, and doing well, but to try to force the hand of 50% of the netizens using IE is futile. Sad, but true. So, i posted a splash page for all users who wish to see the site in full glory, the are REQUIRED to view in Safari. i recommend same strategy. build it, but insist that they view it on a superior browser, and they'll thank you later. Who has time to build 4 different sites that look similar and work on all browsers. Lowest common denominator is no longer relevant. Go Safari! http://web.mac.com/mcsq or http://homepage.mac.com/mcsq
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Find a better Mac tool that considers other browsers. Other options have been mentioned here often.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« simple question from novice...1 sec. reply! | Where can i find some prices? »