New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

RSS for newbs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

Where can I find out all I need to know about RSS? Do I need a reader for mac to use it? Can anybody point me in the right direction?
QUOTE Thanks
ChicoWeb

Are you talking rss feeds for another website, or to your desktop?
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

Either or. I do have some blog I just setup on my web server but I don't really take seriously. I'd like feeds on my desktop though...
QUOTE Thanks
ChicoWeb

Well you need a news Aggregator for OS X then.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

When Tiger comes out in the first half of next year Safari will have a built in RSS reader in it

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

Yeah, and then Safari will be the best browser ever.

In the meantime, I use NewsFire, which is still in beta but it's still an excellent aggregator. It auto-refreshes and is themed to match OS X. It rocks.

Download it here: http://newsfirerss.com/
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

PulpFiction Lite is what I am using, it has an mail interface and is a really awesome concept and program.
QUOTE Thanks
CaptainMack

i dont compleatly understand RSS. is there a good site to go to?
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Hmm.. I would google it since I don't know of any good sites right off the top of my head. Basically RSS is a good way of reading headlines and then being able to click on those headlines and a small summary. if you like the sound of the story and it will take you to the website with that story on it. That's a quick little overview of what can be done with RSS
QUOTE Thanks
ChicoWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
Hmm.. I would google it since I don't know of any good sites right off the top of my head. Basically RSS is a good way of reading headlines and then being able to click on those headlines and a small summary. if you like the sound of the story and it will take you to the website with that story on it. That's a quick little overview of what can be done with RSS
Not to mention you can use RSS on your website. If you want to display up to the mintute news, stock quotes, blog entries, etc, from another source, many people parse their news into XML. Its a pretty neat technology for the web. A bit complicated though.
QUOTE Thanks
CaptainMack

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
m1k

A quote from NewsFireRSS.com:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsFireRSS
Really Simple Syndication is a booming technology for sharing information on the web. Popular news sites like Yahoo!, BBC News, The New York Times, CNET and Wired, along with tens of thousands of personal blogs and independant media sites all publish RSS feeds that you can subscribe to.

Naturally, the volume of information being published every second is hard to grasp and keep abreast of. If you had to visit each site and click 'Refresh', you'd never get anything done. Enter NewsFire, which is like a turbocharged bookmark menu for your news sites. NewsFire constantly checks for freshly published news from your list of news feeds and notifies you. There's even some eye-candy involved - NewsFire's list of news feeds is animated just like iChat, so feeds swoop around as news is discovered.

There's a variety of RSS readers on Mac OS X, but none offer the style of NewsFire. NewsFire is brimming with Aqua-beauty and a rich, dynamic user experience. The others feel aesthetically unpleasant, bloated, and stuck in an interface paradigm that doesn't make sense for RSS. The kitchen sink is deliberately not included in this app - NewsFire is intensely focused on simplicity. NewsFire snubs complexity for a minimalist interface that is intuitive, unobtrusive, and a total joy to use.

NewsFire supports the two major feed formats - RSS and Atom. It also imports and exports OPML, a standard bookmark-like file format for news feeds. Importing your feeds from another newsreader is dead-simple!

NewsFire is currently in beta release, and so features and design are very much in flux. That said, the application is very stable and totally usable. Please, give it a try. If you like it, please tell your friends!
It basically outlines RSS. I strongly reccommend NewsFire, it's one of the best RSS clients for Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Have I neglected to setup some color option? (web/photoshop) | PHP Help »