New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Legal rights to a domain

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joe.morgan

joe.morgan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD

There is a domain i have had my eyes on for YEARS! and it is set to expire in 14 days. I dont want to steal is as such, as that is well.... illegal, i would like some advice on the best way of securing if, for example he leaves it til after xmas to renew?

Thanks again

Joe
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

MACyMouse has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs

If you look up whois you can usually get the info. I would email that person and ask them if they plan on renewing the name.

Also, how long has this name been up and running? Can you tell if it has recent updates? Does it look like it's been neglected?

Or try an alternative name by adding a dash or an underscore to the name?

Just some thoughts.
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

I know it probably isn't the nicest thing to do, but if it expires it's fair game. I would buy it when it expires, because if you don't somebody will.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Just buy it when it expires like PunkRockTuba says
QUOTE Thanks
joe.morgan

Mac Specs: Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD

so come the date its set to expire i can buy it? do they not have 14 days or something like that in which they can renew?

MACyMouse - sent them an email - heard nothing. the domain has been registered for 10 years but doesn't look like its been used for anything although last update was earlier this year
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Check this out:

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/Domai...ng.asp?ci=9001
QUOTE Thanks
joe.morgan

Hi eric,

thanks for the link. have you ever used the website before? how reliable are they?
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.morgan View Post
Hi eric,

thanks for the link. have you ever used the website before? how reliable are they?
I have never used GoDaddy before but they are a highly respected company.
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

MACyMouse has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs

I used to use GoDaddy... didn't care for them too much although they've changed quite a bit and have added a lot more features.

I really find their website to FULL... just can't find anything that easily.. I'd shop around for hosting, before going to GoDaddy...
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

I use godaddy to buy domains but not hosting.
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACyMouse View Post
I really find their website to FULL... just can't find anything that easily.. I'd shop around for hosting, before going to GoDaddy...
I agree about that full part. We're not really talking about hosting though right now.
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

I'd buy it right away if I were you, chances are, the register will be away from the comp while it expires, i'd drop the 18 bucks at go daddy to see if they can snag it.

I've been thinking about doing that with www.knoxware.com, some chode bought the domain out from under us and doesn't use it. The thing hasn't been updated in years, it's set to expire in a couple years, i tried e-mailing them and they don't respond. It really sucks when some one takes what's rightfully yours, as soon as I can get a chance at that domain it'll be mine!

So, I'd say, go for it!!!

QUOTE Thanks
joe.morgan

i have hosting with dreamhost. so will buy the domain and just transfer it. Should i go for the basic "back-order" at $18.99 or do some of the other options too like private etc etc?
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe.morgan View Post
i have hosting with dreamhost. so will buy the domain and just transfer it. Should i go for the basic "back-order" at $18.99 or do some of the other options too like private etc etc?
I would just get the 18.99 one unless you need any of the other features in the other packages.
QUOTE Thanks
joe.morgan

sounds good to me! i just don't want the owner to know that someone is trying to get hold of one of his domains and re-new it. or would he not know?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't get QT movie to play in iWeb | iWeb - Creating Sub-Pages »