New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

WEBHOST for WordPress ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

24z

24z is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 20"(Jan.2008)

I want to start a few WordPress based blogs.
The most popular host BlueHost turns out doesn't support Mac.

Can anybody recommend a reliable host that LIKES MACS ?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

There isn't really any way possible for a webhost not to support a mac. The only thing that might not be supported is some sitebuilder software, and you probably don't need that.

When it comes to logging onto a server, as far as the server goes there is no difference between a mac and pc, its just a computer to the server.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I think you're confusing the hosting OS with the user's OS. Hosting companies use either Windows or Linux on their servers. This has no effect on what operating system YOU are using.

So just pick any hosting service that fits your needs. As long as you can upload via FTP, it'll work with a Mac.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
24z

Thanks,
I know this, only because Mac OS is very new to me, I'm really not sure how it works with webhosting.
Here is what BlueHost says about their support for Mac:
===============================================
Recommended programs and options especially for Mac users.

Solution
While we do support Mac users, the unique structure of the Macintosh platform raises several compatibility issues.

If you have not already come across this information, it will be invaluable to you in setting up and maintaining a website. (These programs are all free, but do require you to download them to your computer.)

FTP (File Transfer Protocol)
Unfortunately, our Unlimited FTP software will not function on a Mac. Therefore, we recommend using any of the following programs to gain access through FTP.
-Fugu | Available through Columbia University | http://www.columbia.edu/acis/software/fugu/
-Fetch | Available through Fetch Softworks | http://fetchsoftworks.com/
-CyberDuck | Available through Cyberduck | http://cyberduck.ch/

Web Page Development
PageWizard was programmed with the dual button mouse in mind, making it extremely difficult to use on a Mac. Try this instead.
-NVU | Available through Linspire | http://www.nvu.com/

Browser Suggestions
Safari is currently not compatible with many features available through our service. To avoid these pitfalls, try these browsers.
-Firefox | Available through Mozilla | http://www.getfirefox.com/
-Opera | Available through Opera Software | http://www.opera.com/
===============================================

They don't mention WordPress, like you said, it's ok
But if I go with them, I'll have a problem with FTP and Safari, which I like a lot and have no intentions of using anything else. This is the best browser, and I tried all of them since 1995.
It means, that other webhosts may a similar problem as well.
QUOTE Thanks
Montie Da Champ

Montie Da Champ is an unknown at this point

Quote:
But if I go with them, I'll have a problem with FTP and Safari, which I like a lot and have no intentions of using anything else. This is the best browser, and I tried all of them since 1995.
no you won't.
QUOTE Thanks
24z

Only BlueHost doesn't like Safari ?...
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Mac-Forums members can get a discount with Dreamhost:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68692

Dreamhost also has one-click install of Wordpress software...very easy to use.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24z View Post
If you use FTP you will probably never have to go to their website. I have hosting with another place, and ive been to the site only a couple of times to set things up.

The only problem you will have with FTP is if you try and use their own FTP software. You can get any of those other clients they recommend and you will be able to use FTP just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post

I use them too, I like them a lot.

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I have a Bluehost account and it works just fine with Cyberduck.

I only need to access the Bluehost configuration page to change settings. To update the site I use FTP.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Quote:
PageWizard was programmed with the dual button mouse in mind, making it extremely difficult to use on a Mac. Try this instead.
Haha - snarky!
QUOTE Thanks
joe.morgan

joe.morgan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post

Quoted for the truth, I use dreamhost when i was on a PC and now on mac and their products and services are the best i have experienced. Wordpress (along with some other software) is just one click away
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Api & Php | Set Link to Open in New Page? »