New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Strange problem: websites time out on Leopard iMac...but load on PC!?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MMM

MMM is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G4 Leopard

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has experienced my issue as I am out of ideas!

I have a PowerPC 4 iMac running Leopard. I have 2 shared hosting accounts with several websites served on each. All of the websites on the one server will absolutely not load on my Mac....but all load fine on my Dell PC and testing PC. The sites on my other server load no problem. This happened yesterday but were loading fine before that.

I use Firefox as a rule, but have tried Safari, Netscape and Opera just to see any sites would load in alternate browsers. No go. I have cleared all caches and rebooted. Still no sites will load. All other websites load fine (other then mine) so it seemed like it was a problem with my hosting provider. I have sent in a help ticket about it but have not yet heard. The fact that all the sites function 100% normal on my PC's makes this really weird!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here are a some of the websites I am having issue with:

www.mmm-gems.com
www.natural-future.com
www.natures-child.com
www.book-of-light.com

Perhaps a kind member here would consider seeing if my sites load on their mac? Then I can rule it out as being a general Mac issue and perhaps something to do with my system....

Thanks in advance.
Melanie
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Load no troubles at all.

Pop your install DVD in and reboot. Run verify disk and then repair permissions from there. Have a cup of coffee - takes about twenty minutes.

Safari is a little, or a lot buggy. Finding Firefox 3.02beta is fast and secure.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Assuming you have a router, you may need to reboot it.
In my experience, quirks in connection speed/page loading, etc between a Windows machine and a Mac on the same network almost always boil down to the router being flaky.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
MMM

Hi there,

Thanks so much for the advice. I have verified the disk, repaired permissions and rebooted my router. There were some "SUID" warnings that are apparently normal. I also ran Macaroni, did a hard reboot, checked the logs for ? something stand-out-ish and sent oodles of love and happy thoughts into my machine and alas...still nothing has changed. The websites all time out...but of course everything else is running perfectly!

Still no word from my host yet either. Just weird...

Any more ideas anyone?

Many thanks,
Melanie
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

MACyMouse has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs

hmmm wierd... they all load fine for me too.
QUOTE Thanks
MMM

Hey, thanks for checking...

Still no word from my host. I was thinking that maybe they have software that is blocking my IP or something...? Dunno...but I'm getting a little frustrated.
QUOTE Thanks
MMM

OKAY...so...uhm, yeah it's all back just like that. Didn't hear a word from my host and didn't really do anything at all it's just all back now. *shrugs* I can deal with it!

Wouldn't mind knowing what went on there but oh well...

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

It could have been a DNS (domain name serve) issue.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
MMM

Well...they're all down again.

Maybe it is a DNS issue? How would I find out? Or you mean on my hosts end?
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

MACyMouse has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs

Yep...... I can't access them either. Who's your hosting provider?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Well...they're all down again.

Maybe it is a DNS issue? How would I find out? Or you mean on my hosts end?
That would be on your hosting end. Since they are suppling the modem and ip address.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
MMM

Quote:
Yep...... I can't access them either. Who's your hosting provider?
Really? Hmmm, so it isn't just me anymore. I'm using IX Webhosting.

Quote:
That would be on your hosting end. Since they are suppling the modem and ip address.
Right, ok thanks.

I'm currently on hold with IX... I'll let you know if I get anywhere
QUOTE Thanks
northy124

northy124 can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White

They load up fine.

See your into a bit of the gothic scene (never got what it's about) but great looking sites.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

They are all loading here on a Power PC iMac G5 with 10.5.1 Leopard. AT&T DSL here in California. Sounds like a DNS issue to me also.
QUOTE Thanks
sonypsp0009

sonypsp0009 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, core 2 duo 2.0 GHZ,1GB RAM,80 GB HDD

they all load fine on my macbook with leopard and AT&T DSL
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iweb help | Unknown Errors on iWeb 08 »