New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Transferring windows based website to mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ImageExtensions

ImageExtensions is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 128GB/4GB SDRAM & iMac 2.5GHz QuadCore 500GB HardDrive / 8GB SDRAM

Newbie here.

My club has a website that was created in Site Builder and is currently hosted by Yahoo. Our current webmaster is resigning and I offered to take on the responsibility IF it is compatible with MAC.

I use MAC and based on my research, Site Builder is Windows based and I can't edit the website.

FYI this website is pretty basic. Informational only with a few PDF downloads. No shopping carts or other fancy stuff. www.DeltaDressage.com

Here are my questions:

IF I have to re-create the website with a MAC program, can I upload it to Yahoo without having to transfer hosting services? (I am looking at using rapidweaver or sandvox because they have templates) I can't seem to locate information on their site about this. I guess they really just want you to use Site Builder.

Yahoo is charging ~$12/mo for the hosting. I am showing a lot of other hosting services that are cheaper. Is it worth the hassle of transferring to save a little money? I think we purchased the domain name from Yahoo, but it has been several years so we are not committed to a subscription. According to their agreement, we can transfer domain names to other services. I am sure we will have to pay a release fee.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Mac-Forums members can get a discount with Dreamhost for webhosting. Probably a much better deal than Yahoo...

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68692

All websites (except for some FrontPage created sites) are compatible with Macs. You just need to get the files on your machine and then you can edit them with the HTML editor of your choice. If the editor doesn't have built in FTP, you can download an FTP client like Transmit to get your files to your host.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
ImageExtensions

ImageExtensions is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 128GB/4GB SDRAM & iMac 2.5GHz QuadCore 500GB HardDrive / 8GB SDRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
You just need to get the files on your machine and then you can edit them with the HTML editor of your choice. If the editor doesn't have built in FTP, you can download an FTP client like Transmit to get your files to your host.
Okay, you lost me here. If I get the files to my computer, will I be looking at HTML code? Can these be converted over to a template type like rapid weaver or will I have to edit HTML? I don't speak HTML at all. I will need the drag & drop style.

I have a website dummies book but it is really ancient from the 90's.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

It depends on the program you use to edit them. Dreamweaver has a design view which is fairly point and click, iWeb may be able to do this for you (I haven't used it).

I generally use Coda which is all hand coded HTML so I'm not too familiar with WYSIWYG editors, but I know they exist. Hopefully someone else can stop by and answer that piece.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I would use something like rapid weaver or dreamweaver (you may want to consider the open source Nvu - its free and fairly capable)

http://nvudev.com/index.php

I would just copy the content (text images links) from the old site and completely create new pages, avoiding any of the nasty code from Site Builder

Then you will have a clean compliant site that will work in all browsers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Very, very basic web design question | Good Web Developing Program »