New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

quick way to upload files to your site?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

travisw

travisw is on a distinguished road

I have a website that I also use to store files and stuff when I'm going from computer to computer or somethin. Is there a simple program or way to upload a file to the site? Right now I'm using Dreamweaver and if I'm just uploading a document its a pain to open up the program, upload the file, then link it on the page. Is there a similar to do this? Even if I'm uploading to show all on one page that has all my junk on it.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

use an ftp client or open up the terminal and ftp the files to your webspace from there
QUOTE Thanks
TopDog

TopDog has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook / Mac Mini

I use a php upload script, the one I use isn't available anymore I thing, but if you google, you'll find lots of php upload scripts.

The nice thing about that is that you can upload from any PC anywhere, even when on networks that block FTP (many companies block FTP for their employees).

QUOTE Thanks
travisw

travisw is on a distinguished road

After I upload them to my site server what is the best way to access it from another computer? Somtimes on sites I see a set up where it shows all the files that are held on that site. How do i bring that up on my own site?

Thanks for the help guys,
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisw View Post
After I upload them to my site server what is the best way to access it from another computer?
By typing its url in to the browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisw View Post
Somtimes on sites I see a set up where it shows all the files that are held on that site. How do i bring that up on my own site?
That may be on by default, check the server settings from within your web hosting account's control panel.
QUOTE Thanks
tobywuk

tobywuk can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano

I Vote FTP client...But one thing all these people have missed out is that it is actually possible to map a remote location as a location on your desktop so it just looks like another hard drive on your computer which you can drag and drop files too. I dont know how to do it off hand but a little search and you will be able to find out.
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

If it's just for storage of files, I have a directory on my website (called 'dump'), and a very simple php script that lets me upload local files via a browser.

Once I have logged in, I get a list of files that are in the directory, and an upload dialog to add more.

Wouldn't work for editing a website, but perfect for being able to store and retrieve files from any computer.

[edit] Needless to say, if you want a copy send me a PM.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Weblog: add list of favorite posts | Wanting To Get in to Web Design »