New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Recommendations for .....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MACyMouse

MACyMouse has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs

a good Blog site? I've never "blogged" before....

Wanna start keeping a blog because I will be flying for the first time in April so I wanna be able to add photos and short videos of my experience. Who knows, maybe it'll help another "fearful" flyer.

Any good ones out there?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Bruki

Bruki will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: imac 20" 2GHz Intel 2GB RAM, iPod Classic 80Gb, iPhone

well iWeb part of iLife is exceptional for blogging however you do have to pay for the iLife package to get it (unless you got it with your mac?)

other than that www.blogger.com is probably the most popular.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

If you use Blogger, a word of caution. You either close off commenting completely or create a list of friends and they alone can post a comment. The big problem with Blogger is the spam comments and it's a real pain to manage.

One solution would be for you to get a free WordPress blog that is hosted on the WP website and complement it with either a Flickr account or open up a Smugmug gallery.

I use both Flickr and Smugmug. While Flickr Pro (not free) offers a bit more options, I much prefer Smugmug's ease of use, controls in setting up my galleries and customization. My Smugmug account is the basic one, doesn't cost much for what I get and I am very pleased with it.

I highly recommend it, I have had that account for over three years now.
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

Ohhh great!

YES! One thing I want to avoid are spammers... but I would like other's to be able to comment. I won't have photos or videos until the day of my flight, but will mostly be text and links to other flying sites and forums..

Thanks MHC!
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

Ok........ this is gonna challenge my coding skills isn't it? LOL!!!

Signed up on WordPress.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Excellent! Well there are online docs you can look into and if it gets too much, some members here can help you out.

I think though that your options are limited if you use WP and it is hosted on their site. Themes, if any, are limited: probably available plugins as well.

As for comments, Smugmug allows comments unless you set your account to not accept any. Their anti-spam seems to be great because I haven't had any so far in over three years. Of course, I'm not a high profile account by any means.

Flickr seems to be ok for anti-spam too.

If you need help for WP and don't find the answer here, WP has its own users forum where you can get help and for the hosted users, you have a contact form.

Hope this helps.
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

Hmmm ok... I'm not getting an email notification when someone posts on here. thought it was strange that I haven't received any emails today.

Anyway... yeah I'm a bit lost writing. It's all coming out in one big paragraph even tho I hit return for a new paragraph. I even tried using the old <p> to state a new paragraph but it isn't holding it. It converts it to all one paragraph and includes my <p> code. Should I be using a different code for a new paragraph?

Joined the forum but for some reason i'm not getting email from .mac
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Which web browser do you use to submit your WP post? Works well for me in Safari...

Ok I haven't updated my blog in nearly a year but it worked well with Safari nonetheless.
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

Ohh maybe I shoulda mentioned that I'm writing it "online". I have no idea what I do with the folder I downloaded.... LOL!!! Has all these files in it and I have no clue what to do with them.

Is it easier to do everything offline and then upload it?

And I'm using Safari 3

Sorry..... totally new to all this blog stuff. Technology seems to be moving faster than my brain can keep up.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Well if you sign up there for a blog, I don't think you have to download anything, the software is on their server, I would think.

You sign up, choose a username and password. Then you should get a notification in your email so you can log in and start right from the WordPress Dashboard (that's your blog's backstore, if you will).

This is what your WP Dashboard will look like the screenie below...

Edited to add:

Hmm. Doesn't look like you can post online as is. Maybe you do need to download something. Ok I think someone else who has tried WP hosting should jump in now. Or try to contact them or go to the forum to get started. Nothing looks like the controls in my blog: to make posts I have a Write button at the top which isn't there. Maybe search the FAQ or you can look at this, weblog client?

Sorry I can't be of more assistance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wp_dashboard.jpg (59.2 KB, 4 views)
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

Yep..... got as far as writing now.. I just got stuck because every time I hit "return" for a new paragraph then "saved" it grouped it ALL into one big paragraph with no breaks. Couldn't figure out why...

After playing around with it for about an hour I found the little culprit! LOL

Anyway.... my blog is started.... it's in my signature.... did I do good?
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Wow! You sure got busy there girl!

Whoah! And the links with images are great!

I like the theme, clear, minimalist. But your second entry does not have a link to the video you talk about?

But you're getting the hang of it, it looks like! Congratulations!
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

Ohhh yay!! Ohhh the Prepare to Fly one.... ??

Oh didn't think to link it... I just stuck in the Blogroll.. Linking would be good eh? LOL!!
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

It would indeed help.
QUOTE Thanks
MACyMouse

Done.....!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking to create a Favicon | Hard Drive died so need to restore! »