New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Flash and SEO?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lewwy

Lewwy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.16gz, 2gb RAM || 20" iMac, 2.4gz, 2gb RAM

My company has asked me to produce a flash front page for their website, as the current page they have is extremely dated and extremely useless.

I currently have this : www.poweradhesives.com/flash/en.html

My question is, how do I keep the site on Google etc? It is my understanding that Google has the power to indes flash sites, but im assuming its better at reading HTML.

Is it feasible to just have all the links situated at the bottom of the page, invisible to the user? That way Google will read them and they wont intrude on my Flash site?

Thanks,
Lewis.
QUOTE Thanks
gomez1018

gomez1018 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram

do not do invisible text. You are Actually more likely to get docked poi ts fro
google for that. I have always just done a footer with the ok I'd I. HTML and hhen inbed the flash movie. Not as pretty but it gets the job done. Hopefully someone with more flash experience can help
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

I'd stay away from flash if you are concerned with SEO. If you don't have a lot of external links pointing to the site, you are dependent upon the content that search engines can read.

For my clients I use script.aculo.us instead of flash. Javascript powered animations have all the text and images that google can index.
QUOTE Thanks
munkee

munkee is on a distinguished road

Create an HTML version of the site and have the index auto-detect for Flash. If Flash is enabled, have it redirect to the proper version.

Remember, use up-to-date SEO practices with your HTML version of the site.

Don't get discouraged by the "talk on the street". There are ways to work around this issue.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Against which Mac OS version and broswers do we test our website? | Members Areas »