New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

iWeb and publishing to FTP - how to upload only new additions?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bence8810

bence8810 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 1.6 - iMac 20" for the wife

Hi,

I have just got my MacBook a month ago, and started playing with iWeb. I quickly come to the realization, that for a web illiterate iWeb is an excellent tool for creating semi-cool sites.

I am done with my site now, and I even published it to a folder. From there, I uploaded it to my server, and voila, the site works like a charm. I have an app called Web Echo, which deals with the uploading. However, even if I change a small blog entry, and republish my site to Folder, Web Echo will re-upload the whole site, which takes a good 5-6 hours, as I have 0,5GB worth of Photo Gallery.

Did anyone come to a better understanding as what we need to do to only publish the updated material? I dont have a .mac account, and I wont either, as I need the flexibility of a real host.

Thanks for any help,

Ben
QUOTE Thanks
bence8810

Hi

So I took another go at it, let my MacBook sit all night doing the upload to my site via Web Echo. On their website they claim there will be no need to reupload the whole site as one, but right after mine finished in the morning, I pressed update again, and it started from the beginning all over again.

Any experiences with iWeb and Web Echo to a webhost?

Thanks

Ben
QUOTE Thanks
pdutta2000

pdutta2000 is on a distinguished road

I don't have an experience with Web Echo but iWeb re-publishes the whole site whenever you publish to a folder. I use CuteFTP for my FTP program and it has a nice feature that only publishes changed files so my uploads happen to be pretty fast.

Pritam
Macbook
QUOTE Thanks
bence8810

CuteFTP, I will have a look at it.

By the way, what you say about iWeb is true, and very annoying. It publishes the whole site over and over again, and since my photo library is on a network share, it has to re-copy all the files again and again, and this makes publishing to be an hour long process, even if I change only one file. Then comes the 6 hours WebEcho process. I will give this CuteFPT a try and post back,
Thanks

Ben
QUOTE Thanks
ekologik

ekologik is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs

pdutta, do you know if cyberduck only publishes changed files?
QUOTE Thanks
nirvana

nirvana has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch, Apple TV

I would like to know if iWeb can be used with another host and if you can just publish updated pages. I'm currently with lunarpages and im looking for a new design using iWeb would make my life alot easier.

Crack that whip…..liquorish whip.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Dudes. Try rapidweaver. It is far more flexible and has publishing options to your own server. iWeb works well with .Mac websites. Otherwise it is a bit of the pain...
QUOTE Thanks
pdutta2000

pdutta2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekologik View Post
pdutta, do you know if cyberduck only publishes changed files?
I don't think it does. I tried it earlier and found that it re-uploaded my whole site every time. Painfully slow.

Pritam
Macbook
QUOTE Thanks
v_dash

v_dash is on a distinguished road

Anyone have problems with FTPing some of the files onto your server? The file exists in my server, but it won't properly run on the web
QUOTE Thanks
webby

webby is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4

Can somebody please let me know if they are experiencing the same problem-Ben-I too, have web echo-I downloaded it today at 11am and am still sitting in front of mac at 10:45pm. Its my first attempt uploading-is it supposed to take this long? I have downloaded almost every ftp app. suggested for iweb, web E is my last resort. What am I doing wrong? It did nott even say upload complete-it kept uploading over and over-local files dont match remote...please help...am about to give up.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
wheelguy

wheelguy will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

You have to try Filezilla FTP http://filezilla-project.org/ and it's free.
As for uploading, you should be able to sort the contents of the folder by date & time and only select the the files with the most recent changes for upload.

If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm. -Vince Lombardi
QUOTE Thanks
stewmac

stewmac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz Core Duo 2GB 160GB

The problem is, when you "publish to folder" in iWeb it changes the "Date Modified" on ALL files in the site. This means that any attempt to upload changed files (based on date) will just upload the entire site. Not good.

I'm working on some perl to help me detect only new and changed files, by checking and logging locally the MD5 checksum for the file before uploading it, then checking again on next run. Nearly there but still work in progress.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

This is why i don't use iweb for web design. Coda, Filezilla and a bit of knowledge is much better.

My mate knows nothing about web design so i told him to use iweb and he loves the app, but the whole publish every single file for each time any one page changes is annoying the heck out of him.
QUOTE Thanks
stewmac

stewmac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2GHz Core Duo 2GB 160GB

RE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post
bit of knowledge
I've got the knowledge, html css photoshop php perl etc etc, I'm just lazy.

Since I made the move to Mac for my personal computing, I just want an easy life.

My bit of perl for the uploading is done, just testing it, 'Del' I'll drop you a post here when I'm happy with it so you can get your mate using it
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewmac View Post
RE:
'Del' I'll drop you a post here when I'm happy with it so you can get your mate using it
Good man, it will also save his phone bill and my ears!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Amazing! | iWeb preview problem »