New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Adding music to web page?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

1607 is on a distinguished road

I'm currently using iweb to build a website. I've been trying to aud an audio file the individual pages. Basically when you open the page I want the song to start. The only way I've been able to add music is by inserting an icon that requires you to press play. Does anyone know a trick to get the music to play automatically?

thanx,

garrett
QUOTE Thanks
applemacbook

applemacbook is on a distinguished road

Noooo... don't do it buddy!
Seriously, it's a really bad idea. It was popular several years ago and it died because nobody wanted to hear it.
Unless you're a musician, you really shouldn't do this. Myself personally, if I open a page and music starts playing then I will leave it in an instant.

However, if you are actually a musician, then Flash is your answer.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

Background music bad. Sound effects good.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
drpianoman

drpianoman is an unknown at this point

So no one knows how to have music start when a page opens?
QUOTE Thanks
Bluegrass

Bluegrass will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display

I think we do but no-one likes it
QUOTE Thanks
Eric559

Eric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of lightEric559 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: 2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1607 View Post
I'm currently using iweb to build a website. I've been trying to aud an audio file the individual pages. Basically when you open the page I want the song to start. The only way I've been able to add music is by inserting an icon that requires you to press play. Does anyone know a trick to get the music to play automatically?

thanx,

garrett
iWeb: music to play upon entering site

Sorry guys. Haha.
QUOTE Thanks
CircularSaw

CircularSaw will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0GHz Aluminium MacBook

http://webdesign.about.com/od/sound/ht/htsound.htm

Just no though...please no...if you make a website that includes sound and dosnt make me want to leave i will buy you a drink but it's almost a universal faux pas as far as web trends go.

Music in websites went out with garish background patters and green text on black background. It's just annoying especially if someone tries to view your website in an office.

Try it though. See if it works and compliments the visual design...don't let us put you off...

Web Designer
Microsoft Web Developer
MacBook Owner
QUOTE Thanks
NaRzY

NaRzY is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: I am awaiting my new one. :D.

YAY! Something I can finally help with.
Check out [Embeding Sounds in Web Pages]. It is all explained there.

Jacob.
QUOTE Thanks
canyonchaser

canyonchaser is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro

+1 brazillion

I abhor sites with any kind of audio - there's nothing worse than browsing at work, or while on the phone and hitting a site with music blaring, so that everybody knows you are not doing anything work related.

I pretty much boycott any site that forces me to listen to audio.

dp
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

1. Whenever I encounter such a web page, I either:

a) leave.
b) mute volume.

2. I strongly recommend that you start using HTML codes (I tell this to everyone!). iWeb and similar programs add lots of extraneous coding and files and just make a mess of your website.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
vernony

vernony is on a distinguished road

Well I sympathise with you. I, too, am trying to find out how to embed music on a website. Apparently this is not the right place to find out. Just a lot of busy bodies, instead of helping, they are trying to tell you what you ought not to do. Presumably you are of sound mind, and live in a democracy ? In the event, then, you have the right to do what you like. Personally I don't think you should give a tinker's cuss to them. The question, you reasonably asked, was how do I embed music in a website ? Not, what is your opinion of music embedded a website ?

I am now going to try my local refuse disposal engineers office, I have got a feeling that they may better be able to answer the question, than Mac Forum !

Incidentally if others do not like music on your website then, at the very least, they can turn down the volume to a point where it is inaudible !

Vernony

United Kingdom
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

If you don't want anyone to visit your website, by all means embed music on your website..the easiest way of doing is to use the HTML <EMBED> tag.

See:
http://www.2createawebsite.com/enhan...ing-music.html
How to Add Background Music to Your Web Page (thesitewizard.com)
HTML Music Codes

And oh..you just responded to a post originally created nearly 6 year ago..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPod Nano View Post
1. Whenever I encounter such a web page, I either:

a) leave.
b) mute volume.

2. I strongly recommend that you start using HTML codes (I tell this to everyone!). iWeb and similar programs add lots of extraneous coding and files and just make a mess of your website.

You're nicer than I am.. I leave. I suppose this is ok if you only count page clicks.

and yes, this post is old... people were tired of music on webpages in 2009... by now, I have no patience for it.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
You're nicer than I am.. I leave. I suppose this is ok if you only count page clicks.

and yes, this post is old... people were tired of music on webpages in 2009... by now, I have no patience for it.
The embed music (MIDI to boot) died along with the crazy animated GIFs, the scrolling colorful banner and the CRAZY contrast in background and font colors..

People are now impressed by minimalism design and functional websites, not things that just take up space for the sake of taking up space..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
drlikme

drlikme is on a distinguished road

You could also try to play around with the Spotify music plugin, however I don't think you can actually hide the player. But at least it's pretty simple to embed!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fading Slideshow MooTools | iWeb 3 questions please »