New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

I need a reliable webhost.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook G3 - You'll be missed.

I know there are many topics about this, but there isn't really any up-to-date posts about webhosts.

I'm looking for a new host because I'm pretty fed up with my current host. I keep getting jerked around and I don't get told when there is an update of any kind, so my data base will mess up or something that was coded for PHP 4 was running fine and then they upgrade to PHP5 with no warnings at all, and a bunch of stuff is broken, so I have to go and re-code a crap load of stuff.

On top of not being notified about server software changes I don't get notified that there is going to be downtime, which it's down ALL THE TIME, on the weekends it's usually down or running terribly. Throughout the week the server is down at least once a day or once every 2 days. They recently did an expansion in hardware, and added new packages, we're supposed to be given the new upgrades in storage and bandwidth, guess what! They didn't tell me when they updated, I found out a couple days later that they DOWNGRADED my account! While I was still paying for the higher package, and so I had them switch it to the new upgrades they said at no charge, that was a few months ago. Now they are trying to charge me for the "upgrade" after they downgraded me on purpose.

They have suspended my account since I didn't pay this week. It was payment time, and I didn't pay it because I'm not happy with the service and I'm going to request a refund from the last quarter of pure H E L L

I'm looking for a new webhost that is reliable, and informative. I was thinking about dreamhost, but I'm not sure. I'd like some good suggestions.

I would like to be able to pay Quarterly if at all possible.

Does anyone know if any companies have any deals for switching to them? Like some kind of a promotion, or discount. Any migration options? I have a pretty decent database set up with lots of stuff and I'm afraid it's going to be messed up bigtime if I import it to someplace else.

The current hosting company I am / was with is : Vizaweb (yeah don't tell me) I would suggest not going with them, my experience has been hectic. I've been with them for about 3 years, and the first year was decent, but they have totally diminished in quality.

QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

I use www.accuwebhosting.com . Extremely reliable, a little expensive, but it used cPanel for the admin stuff and has a ton of web apps to install. basic is $4.95 a month with 5gb storage and 20gb bandwith.

I'm looking into www.aplus.net for my next domain. Cheap, a lot of storage and space, and some decent features.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

I use dreamhost now, and it's nice but I don't like the cpanel and I think they way oversell the hosting. A place ive been eyeing recently is hostgator.com, same price and basically the same features, but they actually use a good cpanel and don't oversell as much.
QUOTE Thanks
naftalim

naftalim is on a distinguished road

I worked for NetNation (now Hostway Canada) for 6 years, so I know them well. Superior customer service, great infrastructure, connectivity. Highly recommended. www.netnation.com
QUOTE Thanks
chaunce322

chaunce322 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 750 GB HD

I have two sites hosted with 1and1.com, and I've never had an issue with them. The site reliability is great, and they have always been quick to answer any of my questions. Their packages include a good amount of features, and their prices are very competitive.

Sean
QUOTE Thanks
eric06

eric06 has a spectacular aura about

www.2stickshosting.com is good and prices are pretty cheap.

MacBook Pro | 2.33 GHz 3 GB Ram 200 GB HD | Best Choice Ever For A Laptop | 8 GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Ghostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the roughGhostshadow is a jewel in the rough

Right on!

I think I'm going to go with 1&1. I was interested in them a couple years back, but they didn't have any packages that interested me at the time, they were pretty costly for really low storage and bandwidth. I looked at host gator and Blue host they both look fantastic. 1&1's packages are pretty evenly priced. So I'm going to give them a try this time.

Thanks for the help!

QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

Actually,

I decided to go with host gator. They respond FAST. The server is already up, I just have to transfer all of my data!

Thanks guys.

QUOTE Thanks
eric06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post

They have suspended my account since I didn't pay this week. It was payment time, and I didn't pay it because I'm not happy with the service and I'm going to request a refund from the last quarter of pure H E L L
Web Site hosts have the right to suspend/terminate your account for not paying. If you don't pay, you are wasting space on their servers that could be used by another hosting client. If you didn't read the TOS, the host can say we showed you the TOS and it's not our fault you didn't read it, so your account has been suspended for not paying.

If you don't like their service you need to do something about it before you bill comes due or the TOS comes into affect.

I know there are web hosting companies out there that should take down their registration page.

Let's say you are a college student and you don't pay your tuition, the college has the right put a hold on your account and stop you from doing anything on campus until you pay.

I don't mean to be rude but I am coming from this as a Web Site Host my self.

MacBook Pro | 2.33 GHz 3 GB Ram 200 GB HD | Best Choice Ever For A Laptop | 8 GB iPod Touch
QUOTE Thanks
Ghostshadow

I've totally taken action in getting my account canceled. I know it was going to be taken down for not paying. I didn't pay because I wanted to cancel. They have been notified and I'm waiting on a cancellation notice.

I'm not upset about the suspension. I knew it was going to take effect. I'm upset for the poor quality in service and support. There was hardly a full 3 days where my server was not down. Everyday it would be down at least once, if not more. The performance was slow. I submitted many support tickets and received no response. Upgrades and downgrades and features were taken away with out notification. They used to notify the users before something big would happen.

They have failed many times to accommodate and stand by their "promises".

I totally understand what you mean, I'm definitely not upset or taking offense either.

QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I've had Dreamhost for almost 10 months now and I've had absolutely no trouble. But it looks like you found yourself a good host

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

Quote:
Actually,

I decided to go with host gator. They respond FAST. The server is already up, I just have to transfer all of my data!

Thanks guys.
Definitely let me know how you like it, im probably going to buy hosting in the next couple of weeks or so.

My dilemma is, I have hosting with dreamhost right now and if I use them im going to sign up on a new account under my name. Im going to refer myself and get the $97 for referring somebody. I also really like how host gator looks, and the owner is goon at somethingawful (im a goon too) so I wouldnt mind giving him business.
QUOTE Thanks
eric06

Quote:
I've totally taken action in getting my account canceled. I know it was going to be taken down for not paying. I didn't pay because I wanted to cancel. They have been notified and I'm waiting on a cancellation notice.

They have failed many times to accommodate and stand by their "promises".
Wow if you took action and they did nothing, they need to have a BBB complaint put on them.

I understand where you are coming from now.

QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Best that i have used so far is http://www.siteground.com/
QUOTE Thanks
litebulb1

litebulb1 is on a distinguished road

bluehost.com has been incredible for me. tech support is awesome and very helpful.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Help Sharing Files On My Server! | change iweb colors on top meny »