New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Is .dot Mac worth doing?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bombat67

bombat67 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G3, 13" Macbook 1.8 ghz duo core, iPod nano (1st generation), iPod Shuffle

I'm getting ready to buy new iMac and am considering getting a .Mac account in order to get as much out of the new machine as I can. I don't have my own personal website, but I do already have a Flikr account (pay) and a free blog on blogspot. And I already have a yahoo email account.

With all that, I wonder if it's worth it to pay for services that I get for free (or very cheaply) on the net?

Anyone out there using a .Mac account? What are the pros and cons?

(sorry if this thread has already been started somewhere else. I searched and couldn't find one)

Thanks!

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

How about you try it out for the 60 days free trial and see how it goes. In my opinion, its really worth it if you have more than one mac, cause it offers no hassles syncing between macs, Leopard is gonna have backtomymac, photocasting, stuff like that. It's worth it if you have the use for it, although, $50 would have been ideal
QUOTE Thanks
gomez1018

gomez1018 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram

I got one after much debate and truly enjoy it. I use a mbp and an imac for my freelance business, so it helps to have files on there. ALso i use the email for the same reason.
QUOTE Thanks
djames42

djames42 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP

If you do a search, you'll see quite a few threads on this topic.

Personally, I think it's worth it for the ease of syncing between my Macs, and the one-click publish of my iWeb photo albums and blogs. Most of what .mac does can be done cheaper (and free), but not so easily and elegantly.

FWIW, the upgrade in disc space has taken a lot of the guesswork away and has made .mac far more useful.
QUOTE Thanks
cheetahastra

cheetahastra will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video

It's $140+ a year in AUS. With only one mac is it worth it?
I already have a paid Flickr account for my photos.

2007 iMac 20" 2.0Ghz w/ Wireless Mighty Mouse
2010 iPhone 3GS 32GB - White
2008 iPod Video / 5th Generation 30GB - Black
2006 HP Pavilion DV4206TU Notebook
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

It is for me - mine renews in about 2 weeks and I intend to do so but you might want to take advantage of the trial period and decide for yourself.
QUOTE Thanks
bombat67

bombat67 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G3, 13" Macbook 1.8 ghz duo core, iPod nano (1st generation), iPod Shuffle

thanks for the responses.

I think I'll go the trial route and see if it makes sense. My wife does have a Macbook, so if it will make exchanging files between computers easier and provide the opportunity to access files from remote locations, then it's worth a shot.

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."

- Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
QUOTE Thanks
powermacj7

powermacj7 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac Duo White

I been using it for several years. My opinion is yes it is worth it if you use all its features. As goobimama mentioned, Leopard is taking advantage of .Mac, and iLife as well. If these are features that do not matter to you, then it is not worth it. Many people purchase the .Mac and later say it was not worth it. I find in their case they have really used all the features.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What to use for website design- program or HTML??I was wondering if anyone could help | Best FTP or Media sharing site? »