New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Best FTP or Media sharing site?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stalison

Stalison is on a distinguished road

I'm a graphic designer at a large nonprofit and we have a constent need to send large files to our press vendors as well as a need to archive and allow shared access to our huge library of photos. Any advice on sites that will accomodate both?
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

I might suggest an alternate. Why not use your Mac, or even a low cost PC, as an externally visible FTP server? If need be, add an extra hard drive for more space, but that should be all you need. The server software can run seamlessly on your Mac while you continue to use it for its normal duties.

I would recommend Pure-FTPd as the server software. It is open source freeware, and I have used it successfully for this very purpose for years. You can read an excellent article on it, complete with download links, at:

http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/ma...03/04/ftp.html

If you don't want to use your Mac for this purpose, a low cost PC with a big hard drive would do just as well. In that case, I would recommend Linux. Pure-FTPd is available for Linux as well, and is bundled in almost every major Linux distro.

In general, why not provide the service yourself, using hardware you already have, vs. paying for it, month over month, to some service provider? Pure-FTPd has proven to be quite secure, so particularly with the Mac/Linux approach to it, you should not have any real network security issues.

That would be my recommendation - not only my proverbial two cents, but it may save you two cents (a lot more actually) as well!

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
litebulb1

litebulb1 is on a distinguished road

To send the pictures to your vendors you can upload them to DataTransferring.com in a .zip and e-Mail them the address so they can download them.
QUOTE Thanks
jakenoble

jakenoble is on a distinguished road

Try checking out http://www.dropsend.com too.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is .dot Mac worth doing? | Text boxes on webpages »