New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Ok, So I Built My First Website! Q'???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gleyenaar

gleyenaar is on a distinguished road

I very recently taught myself how to build my first website. I am very new at it but I built an affiliate webpage that is selling decently. I have a few questions though about webpages that I can't seem to figure out myself.

The web Design software I am Using is NVU
I prefer to screw with the HTML code as to get to know it better further

I notice when I move stuff around in WYSIWYG NVU it starts adding alot of extra characters in my HTML Code. When I View MY Source on my webpage I also see alot of unknown things. I am way past the part of starting a webpage with just <HTML>. I have been on w3schools.com for a about 3 days now just learning everything I can. I havent made it very far past standard HTML.

WHAT IS JAVASCRIPT, WHY IS IT BETTER, WHY SHOULD I USE IT?

After I learn HTML a little better, I am definitely gonna move up to Dream Weaver or ?

Do you know a good reference for building websites (on a mac) besides w3schools.com
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

can i suggest learning css or mscss ( i think its called ).

because i think its more universal.

OF COURSE also learn HTML because its useful and can relate to other codes (i think).

I have to warn you i am not a coder but i know the extreme basics. good luck with your learning.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

CSS and HTML are completely different purposes and you can't just use CSS to build a page.

HTML is the page framework. CSS describes how a page looks.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
macuser9214

macuser9214 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
CSS and HTML are completely different purposes and you can't just use CSS to build a page.

HTML is the page framework. CSS describes how a page looks.
Being an unprofessional, but active webmaster, i agree with this. I have built many websites, including onjasonsmind.com and macuser9214.com.

I don't know javascript. I do, however know HTML, and I can edit css (but not write)

I want to learn php. Actually, if anyone has any guides, on php, please let me know.

http://macuser9214.com
Ubuntu Server Edition (text only)
Apache2
PHP/MYsql 5
QUOTE Thanks
parrott

parrott is on a distinguished road

I design all my sites using CSS with nearly no HTML. In fact the only thing I use HTML for (or xHTML) is the odd bit of text styling - like bold and italics.

A great resource for PHP learning is a book by some guys, I think in Oz, called Learning PHP & mySQL. I bought that in 2002 the first copy and it was awesome! I think it is www.sitepoint.com - just look for the ads, they usually have a few.

I use Drupal alot and recommend it to newbies or experienced people. Built this one using drupal http://www.feedmedeals.co.uk. Or Wordpress is another great off the shelf web tool (.org not .com). These are great tools to save you time building from scratch yet letting you tweek alot of things if you want.

I use the new CS3 dreamweaver but you can do great things with NVU and other freebies out there.

Javascript is complex so don't hurry there until you have worked through HTML and CSS basics. Ajax in particular is a good example of Javascript used well but it's a bit to complex for me...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Building a website??? | Can I use Dreamweaver with my .mac account? »