New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Remote webcam edge network

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

refugioco

refugioco is on a distinguished road

I would like to set a webcam to watch game animals at my ranch. The cam is remote and would have to be solar powered. I have a website, my iphone uses the edge network. Is there anyway to make this work...get a webcam to upload images via edge to my website??
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I think you want a wireless camera meant for outdoor use that is web accessable. In otherwords, not a USB camera. You'll need to modify the antennas at both the camera and the house wireless access point if the distance is very far between. Several miles have been achieved between wireless access points when they are in line of site.

I don't know about the solar requirements. All these cameras plug into the wall socket but the output is a lot lower than the 120v. Likely 12V DC.

The non-wireless indoor Panasonic I have is capable of uploading images to a web site on a timed bases. It also has a basic video capability when I connect directly to its builtin webpage. I'd be surprised if the slooow EDGE network could handle the video.

You would use your regular internet connection to upload the images, not the EDGE network. Am I not understanding something?
QUOTE Thanks
refugioco

Thanks for your ideas. I really dont know enough about it yet to know exactly what I need. I am trying to do this as cheap as I can. I have DSL via ATT at the house. I have an iphone which uses the edge network. My deer lease is 200 miles away. There is electricity on the deer lease in a central area. The web camera would be as far away as .5 miles. I was looking at this device but it is kind of high.
http://digitalxtractions.net/faces/Page1.jsp
Let me know if you have any other ideas. thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

Ok, well....

It depends on what type of setup you want to use.
I know, I'm a Mac lover... but an easy cheap solution would be to set up a cheap box with Windows Server 2003 installed (I say this because I don't know anything about Mac servers/ technology in this area).

You would then have to install the "Windows Streaming Media" option.

You could then watch this from Mac... and I guess your iPhone too (iPhone isn't out here - so I'm not familiar yet).

Please keep in mind that this is just a quick over view. Its not SO easy.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Well, if the remote location doesn't have any internet access then I suppose that device would do, IF it can pick up a signal. You should be able to test that with your iPhone.

So the cost for the first two years is $450 + (24*60) = $1890. WOW!

If the remote site has a phone line here is an option:
Refurb Mac mini with modem $565.
Camera $450 (maybe more)
Wireless router $100
Dialup Service ($10 * 24) = $240.

Total $1355.

The cost of the electrical I skipped because I have no clue for that one.

I know there were routers that could dial up, but I'm unaware of them now. The one I had would occasionally lock up and require I cycle the power. Still, this may be an option to replace the computer with a less expensive alternative.

Note that there are many cameras available that can pan & tilt allowing you to see more of the location. The camera you mentioned does not have that feature. Also zoom is available on higher end cameras.

Only the remote site and its infrastructure counts in this converstaion. I assume you have internet access other places, like at your home.

If you get this working, let us know. I'd be curious to know how it can work.
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
Well, if the remote location doesn't have any internet access then I suppose that device would do, IF it can pick up a signal. You should be able to test that with your iPhone.

So the cost for the first two years is $450 + (24*60) = $1890. WOW!

If the remote site has a phone line here is an option:
Refurb Mac mini with modem $565.
Camera $450 (maybe more)
Wireless router $100
Dialup Service ($10 * 24) = $240.

Total $1355.

The cost of the electrical I skipped because I have no clue for that one.

I know there were routers that could dial up, but I'm unaware of them now. The one I had would occasionally lock up and require I cycle the power. Still, this may be an option to replace the computer with a less expensive alternative.

Note that there are many cameras available that can pan & tilt allowing you to see more of the location. The camera you mentioned does not have that feature. Also zoom is available on higher end cameras.

Only the remote site and its infrastructure counts in this converstaion. I assume you have internet access other places, like at your home.

If you get this working, let us know. I'd be curious to know how it can work.

We have to stop meeting like this!
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRock View Post
We have to stop meeting like this!
I was thinking the same thing as I responded to another one of your posts.
QUOTE Thanks
refugioco

My theoretical approach was to use my existing access to the edge network that I already pay for thru my iphone. (I am wishfully thinking that since I am already paying for edge that the camera could use my existing account information). Then I could access the camera via my own website. If ATT was on my side I think they could make it work. I will let you know my findings. thanks again
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« shared internet IP resolution | Blogspot »