Specs:
    MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
    RapidWeaver/iWeb for Windows?
    My uncle wants to design his own website, and is wanting know the best way to go about it. I know he could use a mixture of Photoshop and Dreamweaver, but those programs take time to learn and since I haven't used Dreamweaver for any more than about 10 minutes before I can't help him with it.

I've done a few websites in the past, but have always used RapidWeaver, and was wondering if there's anything that's nearly as good in the Windows world that I could recommend?

Any other advice is also welcome.

EDIT: It needs to have some sort of online commerce capability.

Specs:
    15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
    Recommend? Recommend he buy a Mac.

Other than that, I dunno what to tell you...I resorted to coding my own webpages in plan html before I switched to Mac.
    MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White

Specs:
    Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
    dreamweaver is actually very simple to use once you get going, i figured it out in less that half an hour.(not a pro at it or anything, just the basics). plus i'm sure you could find loads of tutorials for it just by searching google.

Specs:
    MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by snoslicer8
    Recommend? Recommend he buy a Mac.

Other than that, I dunno what to tell you...I resorted to coding my own webpages in plan html before I switched to Mac.
    Lol, so did I. I did use one of these template based programs once, but the results where so poor I might as well have done it by hand.

As for buying a Mac, it's just not right for him (I did think about it though).

Quote Originally Posted by ki99
    dreamweaver is actually very simple to use once you get going, i figured it out in less that half an hour.(not a pro at it or anything, just the basics). plus i'm sure you could find loads of tutorials for it just by searching google.
    Yeah, I think this is the way I'm gonna advise; but Photoshop confuses him as it is, and then Dreamweaver's just another obstacle ... but for what he wants it might be the only option. I know there's plenty of books and online tutorials, so I guess if he really wants it he'll just have to give up his time.

Dreamweaver if definately the way to go I would say.
    Overall it is a very simple application.

You don't HAVE to use Photoshop, its optional. You could use another image editor.

Its a good idea to keep things simple.

I remember when I learned Dreamweaver... a long time ago there was a tutorial somewhere in the help menu that guides you through the setup or a fictional site.

Have a look for that maybe?

I work on Windows since ever. I'm a developer but not a designer, so I need something doing the graphical part for me. I've been looking for years for a rapid site builder: tried dozens. No one satisfied me at all.

I bought a Mac desktop a few months ago and discovered Rapidweaver. The program on its own is a very good reason for moving to Mac!!!

I'm still looking for a similar program on Windows, since my laptop is still running on it. No way, guys. Still surfing on the high seas...

Not exactly a brilliant alternative, but i used Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008 to create pages on windows. Although its more similar to dreamweaver than the easy to use rapidweaver.

i'd go out and buy a Mac but if you have to use PC i would go with Dreamweaver

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    There is also the open source Nvu or KompoZer

Not as complete as dreamweaver, but not quite as easy as Rapidweaver and iweb

http://nvudev.com/index.php

I was going to recommend Freeway Express - but that is mac only as well

there is a list of some good ones here

http://webdesign.about.com/od/htmled...wyswindows.htm

As a simpler alternative there is Seamonkey from Mozilla

Doesn

Thread Information