New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

links not showing ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

on some pages i have a white background and the page that the user is on the link disapears because the text is white. how can i make the link keep showing and still have a white background ?

b) how can i change the theme for my whole site ?

there should be a welcome link next to the madeline page link

thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 2.png (14.0 KB, 13 views)
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by christm View Post
on some pages i have a white background and the page that the user is on the link disapears because the text is white. how can i make the link keep showing and still have a white background ?

b) how can i change the theme for my whole site ?

there should be a welcome link next to the madeline page link

thanks
Not entirely clear what you're asking - but maybe you're using CSS and the hover colour is set to white - you just need to change that to something darker.

I don't know what the 'theme' question means at all.

[edit] OK, so I just realised, you mean the site you have linked in your profile.

It's Working for me. The links are java script and change as you hover over them. If someone is on a very slow connection, the alternative image might take a while to load, so it'd just swap in a blank.

I'd suggest you use CSS anyway - it'll work much faster, and considering how little difference there is between the normal and hover images you're using, you can make it look about the same anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough

thanks for replying.

i dont know how to code much apart form marquee's and bold etc.. the basics.

i use iweb and the themes that come with iweb - i would like to use a different theme for my whole site.

is this possible to change the theme for the whole site ?
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

Ah, understood.

Afraid I'm not familiar with how Iweb works - I don't know what you can and can't do.

It looks like the way that page works is by using javascript. Each element (your page links) has 2 pictures. One is plain, the other bold. When you put the mouse on it, it swaps the plain one for the bold one using javascript.

If the bold one doesn't load quickly enough, you'd just get a blank show up.

With css, it's quicker, as it just changes the properties of a piece of text - everything you need is already there when the page is loaded.

Whether you can do that with Iweb I don't know. If you want to try it, I can show you what the code should look like.

Ref themes, I can't help at all. Sorry . . .
QUOTE Thanks
christm

ok i will stick with iweb for know.

by the way- i have made a very very basic page with a few videos on it for my site using dreamweaver. check it out here.

http://web.mac.com/christm3/iWeb/Chr...l%20page-1.htm

i would like to improve it. any tips ?
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

Quote:
ok i will stick with iweb for know.

by the way- i have made a very very basic page with a few videos on it for my site using dreamweaver. check it out here.

http://web.mac.com/christm3/iWeb/Chr...l%20page-1.htm

i would like to improve it. any tips ?
I'd suggest you take a look at tables for laying out pages.

There's nothing wrong with that page, but you'll notice if you resize it, the videos go from being beside each other to on top of each other - if you lay the page into tables they'll stay put. It's no biggie for something with 2 vids like that, but if you want to lay out thumbnails etc, you'll really have no choice.

There are other ways to do that, but I'd say for someone with less experience, that's probably the easiest way.

If you want, I'll copy the page, reset it a little and send it back to you so you can see the way it would work.

[edit] You might also change the page title from 'untitled document' to something more descriptive. It's in the code, in the , < head > section between the title tags. In dreamweaver you can just change it in the box above the editing window.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

heya thanks very much for the tips.

i will put the videos and text in a table - can i use layers instead as i find they are easier to move around or will it not work ?

yh your are welcome to copy the page. Please PM me once you have changed it.

thanks

chris.
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

Quote:
heya thanks very much for the tips.

i will put the videos and text in a table - can i use layers instead as i find they are easier to move around or will it not work ?

yh your are welcome to copy the page. Please PM me once you have changed it.

thanks

chris.
Definitely. The more you experiment the better! The page is fine, but like all things it can be improved. (Well, except maybe for Jessica Albas bum, but that's not really relevant).

I'll have a fiddle around and send you some ideas, but the more you do yourself, the more you'll learn. Keep it up!
QUOTE Thanks
christm

ok thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
pythonman

pythonman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro, 30Gb ipod video, and python

<body bgcolor=white text=black link=black vlink=black alink=black>
</body>
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« virtual office for mac team? | My iWeb wish list »