New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

business website recommendations

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

writermom

writermom is on a distinguished road

We presently have a a webhost but it's been tooth and nail fighting with some of the functions since we're switching to mac.
I've been thinking of switching to iWeb and a .mac account because I thought it would just be easier.
I need a website that has checkout capabilities as well as allow for the purchase of downloadable products (e-Books, spreadsheets.)
I'm not necessarily looking for the least expensive options; we're paying about $20/month now and was very happy with it...until we switched to mac. Functionality and professionalism are of utmost importance. Suggestions? Remember it needs to be bone-head friendly.

TIA....this is a GREAT forum!
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

I'm struggling to see why you using Macs would be a problem for a webhost. Sounds like they're just being lazy.

What you need is pretty basic - webspace, php and mysql would cover everything, I'd imagine. There's not a webhost on the planet that can't offer that.

What exactly is it your hosts are having trouble doing?
QUOTE Thanks
writermom

writermom is on a distinguished road

Email---I can't get email through their server. I've had two mac guys look at it, troubleshoot, double check, triple check, etc... and no dice. I can get them mail through a third party mail service but entourage and the email program with the mac don't work. It says the server is rejecting the password. (BTW- I can get it just fine through Outlook on my pc.)
The mac guy at the store said, "I think they're just being lazy at the host site." (Just like you said, LOL.)
Well, phooey on them if that is the case!
QUOTE Thanks
tyros8000

tyros8000 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0 ghz Macbook

.mac is definitely not the way to go, you are better finding a host which allows you do to do whatever you want.

try looking for one that support cpanel which is one of the best control panels you can use on a server, i use it and my emails sync fine along with ftp, ssh access etc.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Content Management Systems? | Urgent - iWeb without home net access (temporary) »