New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

What is the point of Flash on webpages?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jonnyd

jonnyd has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac pro quad 2.66 / G5 1.8

I'm surprised at this actually - this did start out as a rather unsubtle Flash-bashing post in the anything goes forum, and I edited it out when it got moved here.

But so far nobody has really tried to defend Flash at all - the best we've got is neutrality.

I'm curious to know how Flash fits into 'web 2.0'. While IMHO it doesn't fit at all with the 'simple content' philosophy, it is maybe better than simple html for the interactive part.

Gotta say though, I shall continue to ignore anything flash until bandwidth makes loading time as quick as standard webpages, which will probably never happen, as fatter bandwidth will just = more bloated content.
QUOTE Thanks
Willem

Willem will become famous soon enough

I think Flash isn't being defended because it's somewhat outdated at this point. You're right, it doesn't really have a point anymore. Ajax, Ruby, etc are all superceding it.
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willem View Post
Why does OSX have fancy genie minimize effects and ripple effects and so on? Eye candy. Some people want their web experience to be pimped up. Some don't.
Well, I switch all that off too. You're quite correct it's personal choice though, but if I was responsible for marketing a product or service on the web, and I was aware that my website was causing people to exercise their choice to go elsewhere, I'd want to do something about it.

There's no question that *some* people simply won't visit Flash sites. They block Flash. I can't imagine anybody leaves a site because it doesn't have Flash, so Flash is a one way street - it only ever drives people away.

I'm talking about the really stupid end of the market though - webpages that take 30 seconds to load. If Flash loads at the same time, or after the main content, it won't bother me. It's when you have to sit twiddling your thumbs waiting for ANYTHING to happen that it's an obvious intrusion.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

If flash is done right, I like it. Classy, slick, and unobtrsive. I dont like CHECK THIS OUT ITS FLASH!! You can't bookmark flash. I'm not sure if you can print it. It kills CPU.
But some sites have flash elements and do it correctly.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
sidewinder

sidewinder will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro

What do you think about this site?
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
Hey, check out my spiffy homepage!! Wait, just a sec, let me load it up for you. It's real good, looks terrific! really, it won't take long. Nearly there . . .
\

OK, now what do you want to see?
\

Sure! My client portfolio!! Just a minute, I'll load it up for you. It's worth the wait, honest. I'll tell you all about the great websites I . . . hello? Hello?Anybody there?
\

Where'd everybody go?
\
QUOTE Thanks
Willem

Willem will become famous soon enough

Unfortunately, that's not how those meetings go. They want flash sites.
QUOTE Thanks
giulio

giulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nicegiulio is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iPod Touch | iPod Nano

In my experience, the client doesn't want flash. they want to say their site has flash. To keep up with the Jones. It's just a buzzword to them.
I've always been able to turn that discussion right around.

schweb This has to be one of the best threads ever in MF history...
Cherokee This gets my vote for most innovative thread on Mac-Forums... ever.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
Wow, Looks great but doubt I would want to go through that every time I went there! It's looks very nice though the first time.
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Wow, Looks great but doubt I would want to go through that every time I went there! It's looks very nice though the first time.
Actually I should have said that too. It looks absolutely fantastic - I'd give my right arm for 1% of that guys design talent, but I can't help thinking he's doing himself a big disservice by wrapping it all up in what is basically an unusable package.

I'm only looking at it because that's what we're talking about. Any other time I wouldn't have even seen the first page.
QUOTE Thanks
arai_speed

arai_speed is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, OSX 10.4.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willem View Post
I think Flash isn't being defended because it's somewhat outdated at this point. You're right, it doesn't really have a point anymore. Ajax, Ruby, etc are all superceding it.
How is Flash outdated? It's the de facto plug-in on the Web and while Ajax/Ruby are on the rise I don't think Flash will go away anytime soon.

The simple answer is that one needs the right tool for the right job. Most sites would probably do well w/some simple ajax components for ease of use while others would greatly benefit from using Flash as their platform of choice.

There is this really small website called YouTube that uses Flash to show their video clips. You should take a look at it some day so you can see how outdated Flash really is.
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

I love flash websites and if done well, they can really enhance the browsing experience. Preloaders dont bother me at all, unless they literally take forever to load, and the internet is getting faster and faster these days so I really dont see load time as a huge problem. You have to wait in lines at banks, grocery stores, restaurants, red lights, stop signs, etc. So why is waiting for a website to load that big of a problem? Granted you dont always have to wait in line for things, but a lot of the time you do.

I like the interactivity in flash sites and the amount of stuff you can do with it. If I go to a webpage and they have a flash or html option, i always choose flash.
QUOTE Thanks
jonnyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by arai_speed View Post
How is Flash outdated? It's the de facto plug-in on the Web and while Ajax/Ruby are on the rise I don't think Flash will go away anytime soon.

The simple answer is that one needs the right tool for the right job. Most sites would probably do well w/some simple ajax components for ease of use while others would greatly benefit from using Flash as their platform of choice.

There is this really small website called YouTube that uses Flash to show their video clips. You should take a look at it some day so you can see how outdated Flash really is.
De facto plugin doesn't mean it has any point. De facto on the web is html, or at least a fast parsing text language.

It's just my opinion, but I think flash could have been great if it hadn't been so badly abused in the past. I think of it like pepper sauce - it's good for adding a little spice, but if there's too much of it it starts ruining the meal.

Some sites are just a big bowl of Tabasco. They're kind of hard to digest.
QUOTE Thanks
arai_speed

arai_speed is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, OSX 10.4.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyd View Post
De facto plugin doesn't mean it has any point. De facto on the web is html, or at least a fast parsing text language.

It's just my opinion, but I think flash could have been great if it hadn't been so badly abused in the past. I think of it like pepper sauce - it's good for adding a little spice, but if there's too much of it it starts ruining the meal.

Some sites are just a big bowl of Tabasco. They're kind of hard to digest.
If Flash did not have a point it would not be the "de facto" plug-in, period (keword here is plug-in).

Browser's would not incorporate it into their designs if it did not have a point. Not sure how you can say it does not have a point - but I guess that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Like I said before, the right tool for the right job. It makes sense for YouTube to use Flash to display their videos, everyone has Flash installed and they don't have to worry about detecting what media player a user has on their machine.

It makes sense to create an animation that takes 3 frames instead of writing an Ajax class to do the same thing. I guess product demos with audio and video could be created in Ajax, just not sure why.

I am coming from the point of view of what is the best technoglogy for the job - maybe I misread the forum category we are in and this is just a griping session about pointless plug-ins
QUOTE Thanks
Brown Study

Brown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to allBrown Study is a name known to all
Mac Specs: G4 Tiger and OS 9

YouTube, according to the link in this story, is switching to H.264 because of Apple TV.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Website Prob | Need some practice.. »