New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

website critique

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

design2

canu feedback http://www.ebesign.co.nz/projects/of...rsgroup/FLASH/
thanks
remember no mercy.
QUOTE Thanks
RobDreugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by design2
canu feedback http://www.ebesign.co.nz/projects/of...rsgroup/FLASH/
thanks
remember no mercy.

Why is this site in flash, and why is there no preloader?

i mean, unless there's some huge animation sequence that we're missing in the beginning what's the point of flash? Heh, You have all text and graphics and it took me 100% longer than it should have to load the page.

When people see a flash site, they expect something to happen, especially if they go thru the trouble of clicking to download it.

I don't like the navigation in an article list format.
QUOTE Thanks
design2

sorry my fault
its going to be css/html
its just layout sorta, i got given no logo, or pics,
and just told a name and what links, crazy hey?

i just find flash quick to draw up an interface for layout instead of freehand or fireworks, or whateva u guys use..
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

Flash doesn't always have to be "flashy." www.deepblue.com is a perfect example of a site with subtle flash effects.
QUOTE Thanks
design2

yeah deepblue is a visually amazing, so professional without trying.
QUOTE Thanks
ChicoWeb

Flash can be very annoying or a really powerful tool, and it depends on how the designer uses it. Flash intros or movies in the begging are crap. 95% of all viewers skip them anyways, and I hate waiting. Chances are, if your site doesn't load in 2 seconds, the user is gone. Its the 2 second rule. On the other hand, if you have elements that use flash, such as navigation, or really small load time programs it can be very effective. Deep blue is an example of that.

Thats just my 2 cents as a web designer and professor, and what I tell my clients & students.
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

Let me ask you this Chico: what is more important in terms of generating business? An impressive website or an impressive portfolio and past clients recommendations?
QUOTE Thanks
ChicoWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by gort
Let me ask you this Chico: what is more important in terms of generating business? An impressive website or an impressive portfolio and past clients recommendations?
Well I believe both are very important, but a great portfolio can speak for itself. Personally, I conentrate more on my clients work than mine, because I don't get paid for mine. My portfolio isn't always 100% up to date, but that just means I'm busy, right!

You do need to hook them in both ways. It is important for your website to carry a professional image just like the one you will create for a potential client. That initial first impression is what is going to get them to your portfolio page. But when I comes down to it, a strong portfolio is better in my opion.
QUOTE Thanks
design2

chico: how many in your company or are you alone?

gort: do you have a website?
QUOTE Thanks
ChicoWeb

Yeah, its in my Sig.

I own www.chicowebdesign.com & am a contractor with www.mindlash.com
EDIT: Opps, just noticed that questions was for gort.

And I do all the design myself, but I sub contract php/flash work.
QUOTE Thanks
design2

can anyone with mozilla tell me
if theres any bugs with http://www.ebesign.co.nz/projects/ALCP/index.html ?
QUOTE Thanks
RobDreugan

At least for me, Flash needs to have a point. it doesn't have to be on the level of 2advanced.com, but at the same time, if u can make the site in html/css, why make it flash if there's absolutely no difference?

Now, you could certainly make elements flash and other elements html/css. Again, there should be a purposeful reason for doing this. Maybe you want the navigation to do something special, or you want an interesting middle section that's a self advertisement or just an interesting changing graphic.

This makes sense; it doesn't make sense to just use flash for the sake of using it.
QUOTE Thanks
design2

Quote:
Originally Posted by design2
sorry my fault
its going to be css/html
its just layout sorta, i got given no logo, or pics,
and just told a name and what links, crazy hey?

i just find flash quick to draw up an interface for layout instead of freehand or fireworks, or whateva u guys use..
- RobD, i will change it for css, but for layout i do it in flash because its a quick wysyg program
QUOTE Thanks
RobDreugan

Oh i don't disagree, but maybe it'd be a good idea to say that before asking for a critique =P; cuz certainly that'd be a factor.
QUOTE Thanks
design2

i want to be able to detect from my main index page whether the user has the flash player i am using or not, and from that direct it to the .swf site or .html site ..this should just be a snipped of javascript code right? anyone know what code i should enter? cos giving people the choice of flash/html slows down getting to where they want to go...plus for people without much internet knowledge it baffles them which choice to go with,

thanks..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My first tableless CSS layout | access website on my computer »