New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

website critique

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

design2

hey guys

can you go to ebesign.co.nz
and check the flash version, i apologoize for making it look amateur.
but what simple effects can i create for my flash site.

any flash sites to look at for design, nav would be helpful.

Design2
QUOTE Thanks
RobDreugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by design2
hey guys

can you go to ebesign.co.nz
and check the flash version, i apologoize for making it look amateur.
but what simple effects can i create for my flash site.

any flash sites to look at for design, nav would be helpful.

Design2
www.coolhomepages.com they have whole areas devoted to cool flash pages.

I'd also recommend changing your FPS to 24 or 30, just so the motion doesn't look so slow and choppy. It looks like yer using 12fps.
QUOTE Thanks
design2

hey can u guys please have a look at
http://www.ebesign.co.nz/temp2/template2.html
and give me some feedback,
layout . colour, etc
this is just a site layout, i was given the logo, so i cant change it..
Design2
QUOTE Thanks
gort

gort is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema

I'd say stop using that bland gray background all the time.
QUOTE Thanks
RobDreugan

Ya, first of all you keep using the same color schemes. You need to try and use different colors.

I'd really start looking at other designer's sites and try to get new ideas, because you're still stuck in the very tight, form fitting, box layout.

I mean, you just have to try and be more creative. Font choices, logo's, choosing to have the entire name of the website running across it, like a Term Paper or something.

All i can say is experiment.
QUOTE Thanks
design2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDreugan
Ya, first of all you keep using the same color schemes. You need to try and use different colors.

I'd really start looking at other designer's sites and try to get new ideas, because you're still stuck in the very tight, form fitting, box layout.

I mean, you just have to try and be more creative. Font choices, logo's, choosing to have the entire name of the website running across it, like a Term Paper or something.

All i can say is experiment.
Rob, as always your right about everything however,
i have to point out to you this site is for a client who has very strict requirements and wanted a very simple, non artistic site using the same 'blocky' feel his broshure had. As for colours, logo, they were given to me, and i was not allowed to change because they had payed money for it and the font is static, but legibal and clear, plus the name is very long.

i realise im trying to defend myself but i do feel in this case i have been restrictive in design..believe me.. i have removed the color scheme .
and it is stationed at

http://www.ebesign.co.nz/ambury/

any small changes or specific font or color you think would work or maybe alignment suggestions are always welcome. plus my right navagation menu is all <a href> tags done in CSS with background img's can i control this so it works in safari ? cos at the moment it only looks good in explorer or should i not bother seeing as though most ppl use IE. Cheers

Design2
QUOTE Thanks
RobDreugan

Quote:
Rob, as always your right about everything however,
i have to point out to you this site is for a client who has very strict requirements and wanted a very simple, non artistic site using the same 'blocky' feel his broshure had.
Well, a site doesn't have to be artistic to be good. I wouldn't say that amazon.com or target.com are beautiful sites, but they serve their functional purpose as giving information and serving as a commerce site, while still looking very professional & clean. As a web designer who is doing work for a client, it is your job to make the site presentable.

You have to realize that clients come to a web designer because they have no idea what to do. Given the premise that they don't know what they really want to do besides have a website, it's your job to steer them in the right direction.

I had a client tell me that she wanted Italic New Times Roman for all body copy. I had to tell her, nicely, that she has chosen the least readible font and style choice that you could have on the internet; serif, italicized fonts...

Quote:
As for colours, logo, they were given to me, and i was not allowed to change because they had payed money for it and the font is static, but legibal and clear, plus the name is very long.
Now, colors and logos are things that you can't change, you are right about that. In some cases you could at least play with the name, seeing how it's extremely long. Maybe having it take up 2 rows of text, that is tracked out to match each row.

Certainly, you can't have as much creative freedom if that is the case, but you can still recommend things to the client. Just because grey and blue are his primary colors, doesn't mean you couldn't have other colors accenting the site.

Quote:
i realise im trying to defend myself but i do feel in this case i have been restrictive in design..believe me.. i have removed the color scheme .
and it is stationed at

http://www.ebesign.co.nz/ambury/

any small changes or specific font or color you think would work or maybe alignment suggestions are always welcome. plus my right navagation menu is all <a href> tags done in CSS with background img's can i control this so it works in safari ? cos at the moment it only looks good in explorer or should i not bother seeing as though most ppl use IE. Cheers

Design2
The only other comments I can really say, is that in the future, perhaps come up with several different designs for the client, so that they can pick and choose elements of each that they like.

The reality is that there's not much to the site, besides a very empty feeling header, Right aligned navigation which isn't easy to read, with that alignment. All I can say is that it doesn't look like enough time has been put in to that website.

I'm not the best designer by any means, but I'm typically the project manager for websites that I do with my associates, and frankly this just doesn't look professional. It's not meant as an insult, but if this is really a client and you want feedback, here's what yer getting.

In the end, if the client is happy, you've done your job, but realize also that if you want to attract more clients, this needs to be a website that you are proud of and want to show off.
QUOTE Thanks
design2

hi guys

i have done this as a look and feel for my own personal site
please give me feedback on everything.

http://www.ebesign.co.nz/flash/qliam.swf

also i have done a look and feel for my own company website
feedback appreciated.

http://www.ebesign.co.nz/flash/orange.swf

thanks guys,
Design2
QUOTE Thanks
RobDreugan

Quote:
hi guys

i have done this as a look and feel for my own personal site
please give me feedback on everything.

http://www.ebesign.co.nz/flash/qliam.swf

also i have done a look and feel for my own company website
feedback appreciated.

http://www.ebesign.co.nz/flash/orange.swf

thanks guys,
Design2
Well first, I think the orange site is ok. It's definitely a step up from your first site. The only tip I have for you is that if you are trying to have a business website, that you don't want to make anything negative.

I.e. when you say that, "our company is inspired by ugly websites." It's really not even saying what you really want it to say, but really you shouldn't talk bad about other businesses. You could say that your company wants to strive to create fresh new designs for each client, but you really don't want to say anything negative about your competitors. Even if you speak in generalities.

I think the blue flash site is a great start. I like the design alot, there's little things you can adjust and play with. I think you just need to fine tune that site. Lots of links don't work, misspelled links, etc.

Also, you can start to smooth up your animated transitions etc.. I'd definitely use that site for both your person and business. It's cool to see you've stuck it out and continued to try and design better and better sites.

Definitely work on that first one.
QUOTE Thanks
gort

Perhaps before you start trying to sell your services to people you should be confident enough in your design where you don't have to use a web forum for inspiration.
QUOTE Thanks
design2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gort
Perhaps before you start trying to sell your services to people you should be confident enough in your design where you don't have to use a web forum for inspiration.
Gort,

I have been doing a short course in web design for a few months
and am looking to improve all the time. The 'business' site is setup in our
course for when we leave, but even when i leave i will still use the forum for 'feedback' not inspiration.

My teacher at my college is only one point of view and so are the students at my college, it is always good to get a third point of view, and if that view is in the web industry it is guareenteed to help me develop my ideas.

Just curious have you got a web site or designs i could have alook at?
Oh by the way thanks Rob D.

Design2
QUOTE Thanks
gort

My apologies, I didn't read the whole thread. That's my fault I didn't know the purpose of your page. It just irks me when I see people with really no credentials trying to market themselves to people.
QUOTE Thanks
design2

no problemo gort.

Design2
QUOTE Thanks
design2

ok heres the scenario
i have created a movie on my main timeline
and within the movie i created a button and on(release)
i want my button to go to the nextframe and play the exit part of the movie,
fine right, but i have to put action script on the ending frame
something like if(FrameLoaded)gotoandplay("scene","namedframe");}
basically theres a way to get out of the movie and back into the scenes
its something like
_Root.directory.scene. ?
and i cant remember.

thanks
Design2
QUOTE Thanks
design2

oh yeah just for a change canu guys tell me what you think of http://www.ebesign.co.nz ?
thanks oh and your all in my will, except u mac-forums your cut!
design2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My first tableless CSS layout | access website on my computer »