New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

website critique

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

That's extreme, and fast loading really nice and very unique
QUOTE Thanks
design2

cheers brother, alot of work to do though, heaps of little [removed] me off like loading the right pages in the right frame, i mean all the code is right, bah anyways
whats ur site witeshark?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Mine is a very crappy one I made when I got my first computer -- just a geocities job to play with that's way out of date now, but ok I guess as my first go with HTML
QUOTE Thanks
design2

i kinda feel like an idiot cos frames are quite easy and before now i havent had any problems with them, and knowing me ive probably done something studily easy, but we all have and i need a fresh pair of eyes to help.

my frames are not loading in the right position or not loading at all.
for example when u click on a link from the index page you go to a frameset page (lets use home.html) this frameset consists of two column frames one on the left (navbar.html) and the mainframe (hhome.html). So what ive done is open the home.html frameset gone to the left navbar frame and made for example the about button to go to aabout.html in the mainFrame but it doesnt work. I then tried to open its frameset instead so opening about.html using the window target _self to reload the page but, nothing?

what am i doing? i know its probably easy but amuse me would ya?
[confused creator of http://members.optusnet.com.au/lorigan/index.html ]
Design2
QUOTE Thanks
design2

well this site is at http://members.optusnet.com.au/lorigan/ (static)
or http://www.ebesign.siriusdns.net/index.html (to use php comment form)
QUOTE Thanks
design2

woohoo i got a host+domain so now its http://www.ebesign.co.nz
ok probably not a big deal to you guys but i aint had a proper domain.

Um you guys mentioned before about the Typography, do you still think it needs changing? also someone mentioned changing my 2 column frame layout to a CSS div overflow should i still do this? Another note was to have all my pages alignment consistent, and obviously i need some more 'content' i am going to add some small pictures / graphics to jazz it up a little. However any other thoughts or suggestions are still very much welcome. Thanks

Design2
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

What I just saw is a really nice job and unique
QUOTE Thanks
RobDreugan

ya I still think u should play with the layout. The two column layout is pretty typical, but your navigation takes so much page space. At least if you unite the columns together and use the overflow command it could have a different feel to it.

Yer' pretty good on fonts right now. (I'd also look at using some more color as the blue/grey scheme again, isn't very ground breaking hehe)
QUOTE Thanks
design2

cool, i agree. Rob i think ur the man i talk to, when it comes to comments, cheers for this. also my site on pc looks crap, i mean layout is fine but all the colors are darker and the grey/blue looks poor.
QUOTE Thanks
RobDreugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by design2
cool, i agree. Rob i think ur the man i talk to, when it comes to comments, cheers for this. also my site on pc looks crap, i mean layout is fine but all the colors are darker and the grey/blue looks poor.
It's no prob. I'm don't pretend to be a great graphic designer as I can't really draw that well, but I do know layout and colors fairly well. (This is why i pay people to make want I drawn into a site. hehe) But, ya I think you've got an original idea for navigation, and I think if you go back and play with the layout more, it'll be better.

If you look at other websites for color scheme ideas, you'll see what I mean when I say the blue/grey scheme is used alot. It's not bad, it's just not fresh.

A friend of mine taught me a really good way to figure color schemes out. Take a picture that you like, which you could see your site colors in. Then just go to photoshop and take the eye dropper tool. Since it's a picture typically all the colors will compliment each other, so try to play with that and create a palette for yourself.

It just takes time to get better with this.
QUOTE Thanks
design2

um guys i know css is used alot and is very helpful.
i mean i can use it and i know how much it saves on html tags, however there is a browser /os that doesnt support css well, i cant remember which one it is, do u know? is it IE or safari, netscape? i only know this because my friend makes all his sites in CSS and i do mine mostly in tables cos they are easy for me to control and he has many problems viewing in multiple browsers /platforms.

i was thinnking about this before i try the css overflow to but all my content in. also you know with my navigation how u dont know #1 where the links are and #2 which panels go to which links you only find this out once the page is fully loaded and you rollover + javascript enabled. is this a big problem? i mean personally i dont want to add text with names like 'home' etc because it takes away the idea of being simple and unique but it has to be functionable for beginner users.
QUOTE Thanks
RobDreugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by design2
um guys i know css is used alot and is very helpful.
i mean i can use it and i know how much it saves on html tags, however there is a browser /os that doesnt support css well, i cant remember which one it is, do u know? is it IE or safari, netscape? i only know this because my friend makes all his sites in CSS and i do mine mostly in tables cos they are easy for me to control and he has many problems viewing in multiple browsers /platforms.
Since there isn't a CSS standard yet, each browser draws the css differently. Techincally speaking you can make 95% of browsers read the css the correct way. It takes alot more work depending on how complex your css gets, but it can be done.

Think of it this way. IE for pc is in it's own class; Safari is in it's own class, Mozilla/Netscape are bascially the same. IE for mac isn't worth designing for.

So, if you can get it working on PC's IE and basically working with mozilla/netscape you're in pretty good shape.

It's just going to be time consuming.

Quote:
i was thinnking about this before i try the css overflow to but all my content in. also you know with my navigation how u dont know #1 where the links are and #2 which panels go to which links you only find this out once the page is fully loaded and you rollover + javascript enabled. is this a big problem? i mean personally i dont want to add text with names like 'home' etc because it takes away the idea of being simple and unique but it has to be functionable for beginner users.
You won't have problems using overflow. Just be sure to set overflow to auto, so you don't have the horizontal scroll bar showing.
QUOTE Thanks
design2

wow i cant believe CSS isnt a web standard by W3C yet?! they better get onto it.

Hey! I've recently had a fireworks/dreamweaver brief to create a website for a NZ music band i chose The Managers (ska band). Please give me comments
the site url is http://www.ebesign.co.nz/www/index
um its kinda hard to create a ska music band site cos there aint much sites out there. if u dont know what ska music is listen to the audio samples.

Also question. When you make a site in fireworks with buttons, etc
the javascript does not preload.. as you will notice on my site, is it difficult to change this, javascript looks abit tricky any tips? for example in my browser Safari it says its loaded fully but the rollover images are not loaded, and because i dont have obvious link names u need to rollover to find out the link name, so it looks wrong or broken.

Design2
QUOTE Thanks
dtx3000

ok heres how to make the links preload (i <3 fireworks)
-make sure you have 2 frames (one for non-rollever and for rollover), or a seperate rollover image, and the original in the canvas is a slice or hotspot
-then, select the button in the canvas
-open behaviours panel
-click the plus sign, and go to -swap image
-panel comes up, select either the image !!!in frame 2!!!, or external image for swap image effect
-make sure "preload image" button is selected
-make sure "restore on mouseOut" is also selected
-hit ok
there it is.
and you said fireworks exports background images as straight html? to fix that, when you're saving (exporting rather) in the save dialogue box make sure 'include areas without slices' is checked.
hope this helps!
-dtx3k
QUOTE Thanks
dtx3000

ska rocks btw
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« My first tableless CSS layout | access website on my computer »