New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

.mac - for windows users

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

qwinkan

qwinkan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB

I'm about to be a switcher in two weeks. I've heard about .mac and how convenient it is to share photos and videos to family.

my question is - will my parents, who are windows users, be able to access and interact with my .mac webpage? an other stuff like photocast etc...

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Yes the output is multi-platform. A webpage, for Apple, is a webpage meaning it should be viewed by all. Like your images saved for the web will be .jpg or .gif so that is multi-platform. .Mac webpages are written in HTML. I have a .Mac account and have sent my links repeatedly to Windoze friends. All is well.
QUOTE Thanks
qwinkan

that's great, now I'll definitely sign up for the free trial at the least and see how it goes from there.

Right now I have accounts in multiply and friendster which essentially does the same, but for free. I'll have to experience .mac first hand before I can actually decide if it's worth the $100 fee per year.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
qwinkan

MacHeadCase,

sorry if this is out of topic, but who's the woman in your avatar? she looks familiar, kinda looks like the lead actress in the old movie "9 to 5" (with dolly parton) (^_^)
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwinkan View Post
that's great, now I'll definitely sign up for the free trial at the least and see how it goes from there.

Right now I have accounts in multiply and friendster which essentially does the same, but for free. I'll have to experience .mac first hand before I can actually decide if it's worth the $100 fee per year.

Thanks!
It may take a little more research if you've never done it, but you can purchase a domain and webhosting for about $50 a year. I have a domain and a webhosting deal that I pay about $75 a year for and I get 5gb of storage, 50gb a month bandwith, the ability to install chat, forums, blog, photo gallery or any other template the company can provide. You can also setup ftp for yourself or for others if you choose. It's a lot cheaper to get and you have more storage than .mac, you just have to learn a little bit more about the web.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Quote:
MacHeadCase,

sorry if this is out of topic, but who's the woman in your avatar? she looks familiar, kinda looks like the lead actress in the old movie "9 to 5" (with dolly parton) (^_^)
Lily Tomlin playing the Ernestine character.
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

Quote:
I'm about to be a switcher in two weeks. I've heard about .mac and how convenient it is to share photos and videos to family.

my question is - will my parents, who are windows users, be able to access and interact with my .mac webpage? an other stuff like photocast etc...

thanks
Photocasting is an iPhoto only function. I used .Mac for a while to share pictures with my family (Windows) without any problem, they (Windows users) can acces the iDrive too with software provided by Apple.

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks
qwinkan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
It may take a little more research if you've never done it, but you can purchase a domain and webhosting for about $50 a year. I have a domain and a webhosting deal that I pay about $75 a year for and I get 5gb of storage, 50gb a month bandwith, the ability to install chat, forums, blog, photo gallery or any other template the company can provide. You can also setup ftp for yourself or for others if you choose. It's a lot cheaper to get and you have more storage than .mac, you just have to learn a little bit more about the web.
I'll look into this thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
qwinkan

thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes (^__^)
QUOTE Thanks
Mattlike

Mattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really niceMattlike is just really nice
Mac Specs: Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac

Quote:
thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes (^__^)
good luck and welcome to the board btw.
QUOTE Thanks
steven11

steven11 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD

Quote:

Thanks!
The price fluctuates but heres .Mac for 80 bucks from Amazon. Keep looking though. I think I got mine for under $70. Oh and welcome here! .Mac4$80 W/ the money you save you can buy me a cup of tea next time you're in Louisville, KY
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« creating webpages through photoshop | problems with iweb »