New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Do a lot of people have a .Mac account?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16Ghz Core2Due 20" iMac - 2Gb RAM - wireless Mac KB - wireless MX610 mouse

I'm a recent switcher, it looks good but seems a bit pricey to me. Is it really worth the cash?
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Some will tell you that it is, many will tell you that it's not.

You can use the .Mac 60 day trial (I think it's 60 days, might be 45) and see if you like it enough to warrant $99 a year. I personally didn't use it, so I have no use for it. There are some, however, that love the service.
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

I use it as an easy way of making pages of photographs for friends using iWeb, but the service is not cheap, and IMO not value for money.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

MartinS is a jewel in the roughMartinS is a jewel in the rough

Take the free trial and see what you think of it. I've taken the trial a few times and simply can't see that it offers me anything of value. If you're on the road a lot and want to sync a laptop and a desktop, for example, then it might be a different story...

www.martinsketchley.co.uk

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
Mid-2009 13-inch MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
PapaNoHair

PapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nicePapaNoHair is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeDave View Post
I'm a recent switcher, it looks good but seems a bit pricey to me. Is it really worth the cash?
I have it and like it - plan of renewing it again. But your have to make up your own mind. You should know by the end of the trial.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

i do and have done for 2 years (on second year now, renwed in feb)

it is sort of worth it. but there are cheaper or free options out there.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

I've just looked at it again, and I really can't see anything that makes me thing "I just have to have this".

I'd love to be able to find a reason to subscribe...

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I bought it with my MBP for myself and with the 20" iMac I gave to the kid. Neither of us use it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

this question has been asked a few times.. here is the last thread started about it.

.Mac Mail Account Worth $99?

My wife and I have one .mac account and we share it.. The only things we use on it are the mail accounts and she uses the web stuff.. We find that its worth it but as others have said there are cheaper options out there.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Had it for a while, didn't like it, switched to Dreamhost.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
MartinS

I think this is something Apple could make a lot of money out of if it offered the right services, particularly for home users with one desktop Mac.

As it is, everything on .mac feels outdated, as if no-one at Apple has looked at it for years due to more important tasks elsewhere.

So, other than off-site backup, which is available now, what services should they offer? What would make you think "I have to have that"?

2011 21.5-inch i5 iMac
QUOTE Thanks
milessthomas

milessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the roughmilessthomas is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3

I had it for a year cause I got a discount with the purchase of an Ibook in april 2006(they were probably trying to clear the ibooks out for the new macbooks i realize now). I used it while I had it but after awhile realized better solutions. I actually still use Iweb without the .mac service and instead of publishing to .mac I publish to my apache webhost folder. I never used any of the other services. .mac email was severly outdated and I got a lot of spam. And the backup service was useless seeing as I had a lot more important stuff than just one GB.
QUOTE Thanks
GulfVetSAF

GulfVetSAF will become famous soon enough

I've only had a mac now for about 3 weeks, and I debated the issue when I first realized what it was. LOL I finally dropped the $100 simply b/c I like the ease of use when backing up important files AND the tutorials that come with it (the help section). There are more things available in .Mac but you have to look for them. I do have an external harddrive as well that I back up on but if I'm out of town... well, you get the point. I do think it's a little pricey though... this really could be something they could add on to a warranty or upgrade purchase.
QUOTE Thanks
mraya

mraya is a jewel in the roughmraya is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB

I had it for 2 years, but i cancelled it this year. I have only two complains against it:
- It can be slow for hosting.
- You have to pay a full year in advance.
It isn't too expensive if you consider that it costs less than $9 per month, but you can get similar services for free.

[is pointless to click here]
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I've considered it, but just can't get passed the price tag when you can do pretty much everything it has and even get more space for free. Of course, .mac makes it easier; it's a matter of value and price sensitivity. I think it could be huge if they just offered more capacity and updated to software and offerings to add real value. It just seems like Apple isn't concerned with selling it, keeping it up to date or offering more/new features; the way they run the rest of the business.

I would go for it if they made these improvements.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« blog hosting | Trade Links »