New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Web Design and Hosting Creating sites, scripting, and hosting discussions.

Parked domain / redirect to diff folder?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Small giraffe

Small giraffe is on a distinguished road

This is a question to all you webmasters,

I've got a new domain name which I have parked on my web hosting package.

This is for a personal site, which will have its own folder on my server. How do I point it so that its index page is in this new folder? I've got a control panel to use, but not sure which function if any I'll need to edit.

Anyone know what I mean - I'm not too technical minded so please explain in laymans terms!
QUOTE Thanks
AnthonyJK

AnthonyJK will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD

Youll need to set the http://yourwebsite.com/index.html to redirect to the http://yourwebsite.com/personalsite/index.html
Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 TRANSITIONAL//EN">
<html>
<head> 
<title>Title of Web Page</title> 
<META 
http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL=http://www.google.com">
</head> 
<body bgcolor="#ffffff"> 
</center> 
</body> 
</html>
Replace Title of Page with your Page name and replace google with http://yourwebsite.com/personalsite/

Place that code in your index.html in your main directory.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

..or, if your domain registrar has a domain forwarding service (like godaddy.com does) you can just set it there without messing with your control panel on the web host.
QUOTE Thanks
Small giraffe

Small giraffe is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your post guys!

AnthonyJK - I just want to double check that I've explained myself (in first post) I don't want to be mucking up my site!

I have a domain www.business.com, which I use for business which has many pages etc. On my server I have a new folder 'personal', I have bought a domain name www.personal.com, from my host suppliers.

I have parked the domain www.personal.com on my package (just wanted to do that to check that it worked and my payment had gone through etc).

So I've got an index.html in my personal file, how do I get www.personal.com to point to that particular index page in that particular folder (as I already have index.html in my main directory for my business site.

Does that make sense and does your post still apply?

(soz I haven't used my html knowledge in AGES, so have forgotton most of it now!)

Thanks for your replies!
QUOTE Thanks
AnthonyJK

AnthonyJK will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 13' Black MacBook Core Duo 1.25 GB Ram 80GB HD

Yeah that makes sense there should be an option in your control panel to mask the address www.business.com/personal. So it automaticaly redirects you there. If there isnt Im not quite sure how you could do that. To be correct you have both of those domain names lead you to www.business.com?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need Help with Freeway 4 Express | uploading... »